Spanish?

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Okay, Dumb Question #2:

My first trip to DR (or any Latin country, for that matter) is now less than two months away. I have been feverishly listening to "Spanish for Dummies" type tapes.

The question is: the first time I open my mouth, will I sound like "El Dorque Grande", will the person I attempt this with collapse with uncontrollable laughter, or is it true that a few words of Spanish will get you a long way?

Dec 9, 2002
Give it a go, you'll be fine. I have always found that Dominicans really appreciate it if you have made an effort to learn even just a few words - if you get it wrong they won't mind, they'll help you get it right!

solituna

Jan 26, 2004
Agreed! Go for it!

The "Dorque Grande" are the people who do not try to learn a new language.

My two favourite words are: Co?o and Diablo!!

GO FOR IT!

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Yeah man dont be shy about it, if you want to sound kind of cool call guys tigueres (beware does sound kind of grimy) pronounced T-ger-eh

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
You'll be fine

On my last trip I only new basic Spanish and I would get corrected and didn't mind nobody laughed at me either. Besides I learned a lot of new words and asked how to say things all the time :laugh: ! I would teach them English and they would teach me Spanish, it worked out great ;)
Have fun!!

Apr 26, 2002
Interesting user name. I presume that your previous overseas trips have included Morocco.

What brings you to Casa ... er ... uh ... what brings you to Santo Domingo, Mr. Laszlo?

In any case, Dominicans are one of the most gregarious peoples on the planet. This is probably the best place to try your Spanish (though one of the worst to learn it unless you're careful).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
From my post on high

I will emit my opinion:

By all means enjoy your learning opportunity. All of the posters have said that this is a wonderful way to meet people and make friends.

You can't go wrong, however, I would advise against using "co?o" as it is a vulgar word. YOu will hear it used often enough, unfortunately.

Enjoy and learn, my son.

HB :D:D:D