Casa de Campo Marina - Photo!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Oh dear, that is some serious damage caused by the Chavon river flowing into the marina.
--------------------

10.jpg

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Water, Water

I can remember the wind damage form George, but never this much water.
Charlie

Last edited:

pws

Oct 24, 2005
Hang on a second... while these photos are accurate, the Marina in Casa de Campo was back to 100% within DAYS of these photos, and in all fairness, it was one of the quickest and most complete recoveries I've seen in this country.

Despite this past incident, the Marina has continued to grow and now boasts the title of the largest Luxury Yacht Marina in the Dominican Republic. As for the photos, I submit their official website so you may see for yourself: http://www.marinacasadecampo.com.

ginni

Oct 29, 2005
www.collectorscircle.com
Interesting argument going here. The photos of the marina right after the storm are useful to me. It looks like a lot of water and I wonder, how well the automobiles now run and how dirty are the insides of them. Additionally, what about the homes, are they all cleaned up and smelling fresh as a flower a few days later? The last question, are all the boats in good repair, with no holes in the hull, or stinky smelling mess in the cabins?

If everything homes, cars, and boats were all back to the same condition they were a few days before the storm, it sounds like the storm just did a little fall cleaning. There should be a storm every year.

I did not see any photos on the "official" web site showing the marina a few days after the storm. All I saw were the publicity shots. Yes, be fair put up both sets of photos.

My husband and I are thinking about moving to the DR. However, we are very concerned about tropical storms and huricanes. We want to know the reality of it.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Ginni,

The photos you were looking at were over a year old. It took many weeks to repair the damage from the flooding. Please remember that those who can afford to own or rent in the Marina have enough money to fix or replace anything damaged by the flood waters.

I have been going to Casa de Campo for over 10 years and this is the worst I ever saw it. It probably will not happen again in the next 50 years. Even George, who did a great deal of damage in Casa de Campo and La Romana did not leave the Marina with this type of water damage.

Chuckuindy

ginni

Oct 29, 2005
www.collectorscircle.com
pws said:
the Marina in Casa de Campo was back to 100% within DAYS of these photos, and in all fairness, it was one of the quickest and most complete recoveries I've seen in this country.

Hi Chuckuindy,

Thank you for your reply. It seems I was not communicating well, again. I was a bit put off by pws' comment that the marina was fine in a few days. It seemed an absurd statement to me. It does not seem feasible for the flood cleanup to be completed 100% in a matter of days. It would take a few days just for things to dry, and then comes the demolition, tear-out, and the rebuild. It is that type of post that leaves me the feeling I cannot trust what I read here.

Warmly,
gs
2006 Retiree - will it be the DR?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
ginni said:
.... My husband and I are thinking about moving to the DR. However, we are very concerned about tropical storms and huricanes. We want to know the reality of it.

The reality of it is that if you put your boat, build your house, park your car in a hurricane prone area on the beach, sooner or later you will have to deal with a hurricane or tropical storm. This is the tropics, we do get storms. The further reality is if you are in the right spot in the DR, chances of having to deal with a Hurricane are very low. Generally the DR is usually quite lucky as few storms come our way, if you compare with some other Caribbean islands and the US mainland this year. The North Coast is not a favorite spot for hurricanes to land, although they do get their fair share of tropical storms. The North Coast is probably one of the safest hurricane areas in the Caribbean.

The Caribbean does get storms and hurricanes from around June through around end November of each year.

If you are concerned about storms and hurricanes, I suggest you look at the North Coast, or an area outside of the Caribbean.

Here is some information about DR weather for you... http://www.dr1.com/travel/expect/weather.shtml

Here is some historical information about hurricanes and storms in the DR for you.
http://www.dr1.com/weather/hurricanes.shtml

Also look at the weather forum where you will find day to day weather reports. It really is not so bad you know ;)

You asked a question about cleanup after a hurricane and expressed some doubt that cleanup could be so fast. People here are quite prepared to clean up quickly, especially in tourist areas.

ginni

Oct 29, 2005
www.collectorscircle.com
Thanks Chris,

It is interesting that you suggest the north coast. In reading a lot of statistics from various Web sites about huricanes and tropical storms it seemed to me that the north coast was hit more often than the South coast east of Santo Domingo. Additionally, the north coast has earth quake worries.

My dream is have a home on the beach. I love the water. I dream of walking out the door in the morning with a cup of coffee and in a few steps having my feet in the water.

I started reading the weather section of this forum yesterday and finally joined so I can post. I have many questions, but I will write them in a more appropriate thread.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
ginni said:
Thanks Chris,

It is interesting that you suggest the north coast. In reading a lot of statistics from various Web sites about huricanes and tropical storms it seemed to me that the north coast was hit more often than the South coast east of Santo Domingo. Additionally, the north coast has earth quake worries.

My dream is have a home on the beach. I love the water. I dream of walking out the door in the morning with a cup of coffee and in a few steps having my feet in the water.

I started reading the weather section of this forum yesterday and finally joined so I can post. I have many questions, but I will write them in a more appropriate thread.
Excuse me but can you site the last hurricane that occured on the North Coast on the western side of the Island. Lets say from Cabrera to the Haition border?

Let me do this for you. Not in recorded history. That is why a lot of us specifically picked that place to live.

Escott

ginni

Oct 29, 2005
www.collectorscircle.com
Hello Escott,

I will go and find the information and be back. I appreciate you and Chris taking the time to help me get the facts straight. However, this does throw a big kink in what I was going to do tomorrow -- finalize and pay for our trip to the DR in a few weeks.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Escott said:
Excuse me but can you site the last hurricane that occured on the North Coast on the western side of the Island. Lets say from Cabrera to the Haition border?

Let me do this for you. Not in recorded history. That is why a lot of us specifically picked that place to live.

Escott

I love these marketeer types... always want to put things in a positive light... but then, for the North Coast of the DR, you can put things weatherwise in a positive light. Last year we had hurricane Jeanne, came in at the bottom of the island as a cat 1 hurricane, came just up the coast between the mountains and the coast and lost strength somewhere between Nagua and Cabrera to become a tropical storm. The previous one that was a nailbiter was Hurricane Frances - paralleled the North Coast but had us biting our nails there for a few hours.

Tropical storms can also do damage, and this one defnitely did. But I say again, the North Coast of the DR is historically one of the safest places in the Caribbean in terms of direct hurricane hits. Scott is on the button there. The geography of the island and its orientation to weather has a lot to do with the statistic.

One the north coast there is a harbor, Luperon, that is known as one of the safest hurricane holes in the whole Caribbean Basin.

I respectfully submit that the statistics that you've been reading is either from an incorrect source, or you are reading them incorrectly. I will be glad to interpret it for you, if you let me know what you've been reading.

In terms of earthquakes, I lived through the previous one... 6.5. The area recovered in weeks. Some under spec buildings did not.

Anyway, let me know what research you've been doing and where you've read it, and I'll be glad to put it in perspective 'cause what you're quoting is just wrong. If you read what I've written in terms of weather on this site, you will see that we don't easily go into a hysterical mode. There is a lot that you can do to safeguard yourself against the weather. Again, it is your choice and if we seem a little 'wild' for you, please make a different decision. Let me ask, have you visited? and if so, how many times and for how long?

Last edited:

ginni

Oct 29, 2005
www.collectorscircle.com
Chris,

I have not been there or hardly any where outside of our little corner of the world. We are planning an exploratory trip Dec 4 to 17.

Here is a little more of our story.

My husband will be 59-1/2 next summer. I am age 55. Larry is through with his career he wants out and is insisting that he is retiring next year. We can only do this if we move to another country where the cost of living is much less than it is here, Metro Portland, Oregon, USA. We are looking at the DR because it is a warm climate and it has several golf courses.

We will be able to buy (or build) a home. I do not think I am interested in a home in one of the developments. We will probably rent for a time while we explore the area and decide more precisely where we want to live. We have a dog and four cats who will come with us.

The posts in this thread are telling me I need to take another look at the plan I had for the Santo Domingo area and look at the north coast again.

Thank you for your help!

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
ginni said:
However, this does throw a big kink in what I was going to do tomorrow -- finalize and pay for our trip to the DR in a few weeks.

Oh please - go pay for the trip and see for yourself. You can get 100 opinions or facts but none of them may mesh with your experience of the topic at hand. I've been here for three years and was once woken up by a tremor .... woke up, went outside, saw the pool swishing from side to side, saw the house wasn't falling down and went back to sleep.

The tropical storm that hit was a great inspiration for a house party - we had about 10 people over at the house and watched the palm trees flying around until about 4am - then everybody went to sleep. Of the 13 or 14 people in the house, not one thought about breakfast, so there were debates about who was to go out foraging for food after the big storm ..... a friend and I left the hosue in a little corola and were able to get everything we needed for breakfast. There were a few signs and trees down in Cabarete but not much - town was back to normal within a week or so. We had a big mobile phone (it was a pool floatie thing) blow away during the storm .... I think that was the worst part lol.

I've been in the capital during several heavy rain storms but I have no experience about the tropical storm effect there, although I have many friends who live there and find their way around the inconviences posed by weather .... the question for you to answer, not matter where you live, is can you deal with the inconviences that confront you?

Stay well,
Amy

Last edited:

ginni

Oct 29, 2005
www.collectorscircle.com
Amy,

What I meant by kink is that I had figured out the trip based on moving to Santo Domingo, but if the north coast is a better place to live, then I will want to come to the north coast on our trip rather than the south coast. Now, I have to figure out what flights, what hotels, from scratch.

Thank you for sharing your storm experience. "Severe" weather here involves wind storms, but the winds are rarely at tropical storm speeds, let alone hurricane level. When it snows a few inches the town is shut down, but I see it as a fun day off. Flooding and mud slides can be a problem in the area, but not in our neighborhood.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
ginni said:
Amy,

What I meant by kink is that I had figured out the trip based on moving to Santo Domingo, but if the north coast is a better place to live, then I will want to come to the north coast on our trip rather than the south coast. Now, I have to figure out what flights, what hotels, from scratch.

My point was that you should check out each potential town that your are considering. Don't stick to the North or South Coast - go to both!!

Much luck on your travels - coming to the DR is sure to be an eye-opener.

Stay well,
Amy