Latest round of blackouts worse than the last one?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Who thinks that the lates round of blackouts is worse than the pre-election ones?

I for one am having to increase my battery bank from 8 to 16 for the first time in a year, and get a bigger inverter to charge it fast enough.

We have been without power in my neighborhood for over 24 hours now, and last night I spent my first entire night without electricity. (I have been here 5 years, and this has never happenned to me before)

These things are not supposed to happen to people who run inverter stores. What are things like in the rest of the country?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
MrMike said:
We have been without power in my neighborhood for over 24 hours now, and last night I spent my first entire night without electricity. (I have been here 5 years, and this has never happenned to me before)
No power whole night? First time??? Hahahaha, join the club. I spent a whole week without power at night. In fact, last night was the first night I got power the whole night after a long time.
These black outs suck. I can never get anything done in the house. The light comes in at unpredictable times and goes out instantly often or comes in On & Off (sort of like Peek a Boo).
I am sick of all that myself.
AZB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Power has been pretty good in Julieta (Santo Domingo).
Defiently better than the pre-election black outs.

I guess it all depends on your location.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Better here.

Robert said:
Power has been pretty good in Julieta (Santo Domingo).
Defiently better than the pre-election black outs.

I guess it all depends on your location.
Although not great, the power situation in Sosua is far better now that in the Hippo days. Even with the storm, we're managing on batteries alone.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Mike, I currently have 8 batteries and a trace 3.6. What would be the difference in electric usease if I went up to 16? Just a rough estimate.

Thanks
Scott

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
If the 8 batteries are getting you through the blackouts, then the increase would be marginal, basically the initial charge of the 20% or so of battery power that has leaked during storage, plus the recovery from any blackouts that are currently depleting your 8 battery bank, plus maybe an additional 2.5-5% for inefficiency. (Converting power from AC to DC and then back you do lose a little bit of the total power in the translations)

I had worked out at 1 point that it takes 360 KWH per month to charge and discharge 8 batteries continuously with a 2.4 kilo inverter every 24 hours. It's been awhile so I can't remember the formula and it could be a little off, but my bills seem to substantiate the estimate. If this is your usage, then 16 batteries won't really add anything significant as far as your bill goes, it will just make you prepared for longer blackouts.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
So basically you elitist bastards living in Santo Domingo are ripping off our Santiago hydro-electric power fro Presa de Taveras and enjoying round the clock electrical service while we in Santiago are fanning mosquitos off our legs by hand and carrying water up the stairs in buckets?

Shame on you all. This ws not Duarte's vision.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
In Los Cacigazcos we've had about 2 or 3 hours of electricity in 24 hours... I'm a bit sleepy today...

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
elitist bastard

MrMike said:
So basically you elitist bastards living in Santo Domingo are ripping off our Santiago hydro-electric power fro Presa de Taveras and enjoying round the clock electrical service while we in Santiago are fanning mosquitos off our legs by hand and carrying water up the stairs in buckets?

Shame on you all. This ws not Duarte's vision.

Maybe not Duarte's but I will take it. To make you feel better its not quite 24/7 maybe only 22/7. but thats only about 3 days a week, the other 4 its 24/7. ;)

If it helps I'll say I'm not really sorry!

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
I went to Santiago yesterday and i can tell you that at single glance it had many more stoplights working, traffic seemed more organized than SD even though was raining heavily. Santo Domingo becomes hell on earth if you mix constant blackouts plus raining and ocassional flooded streets everywhere. I'm sure it can be that Bad in Santiago? you guys are having your usual 18-20 hours blackout configuration? in the better sectors right?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Here in the Hovel

We are averaging a bit over 12 hours a day without lights.

This is the center of town (Los Jardines Metropolitanos) hardly the most elite address in town, but a good thermometer.

Service has sucked for the past month. Some "sources" have told me that it is because the PLD went into the EDE-Norte and "cleaned House" and threw the baby out with the bath water.. Technicians trained in Spain to know how to switch around the available power were fired and people with little or no knowledge came in to handle the power distribution. The result, as AZB so aptly put it, has been " Peek a Boo Power".

The euphoria post 16 August was short lived and it seems that the US$50 mill that Leonelito promised the generators has been extremely slow in appearing in their coffers.

The result is a 700 MW deficit and eternal blackouts...for most of us, at least. There were 12 barrios in Santiago that went a week with no power.

HB :(:(:(

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Oche said:
I went to Santiago yesterday and i can tell you that at single glance it had many more stoplights working, traffic seemed more organized than SD even though was raining heavily. Santo Domingo becomes hell on earth if you mix constant blackouts plus raining and ocassional flooded streets everywhere. I'm sure it can be that Bad in Santiago? you guys are having your usual 18-20 hours blackout configuration? in the better sectors right?

The day before yesterday my power was off for 14 hours. Batteries went down to the cut off point and my invertor merrily beeped away at me at 2 am. After a couple more hours of darkness, my power came on. I shut everything off in the house so the invertor could charge as quickly as possible. Turned out it was a good plan because 35 minutes of power was all I got. Five hours later my fan was still spinning away and I was happy I could get some sleep off of battery power. Lights came on for 3 hours, then off for 24.

Bring Hippo back. At least we were getting 50 to 1. The peso's increased strenth hasn't done anything to the prices. Just take a look around the supermarket. So people with dollars are paying more. People with pesos are paying the same. And no one has enough power or water. Oh I almost forgot Leonel did get my electric bill to go from 2,000 pesos per month to 9,800 pesos per month.

Leonel talks a mean game but he is weak when he gets out on the field.

Last edited:

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
gringo in dr said:
Bring Hippo back. At least we were getting 50 to 1. The peso's increased strenth hasn't done anything to the prices. Just take a look around the supermarket. So people with dollars are paying more. People with pesos are paying the same. And no one has enough power or water. Oh I almost forgot Leonel did get my electric bill to go from 2,000 pesos per month to 9,800 pesos per month.

Leonel talks a mean game but he is weak when he gets out on the field.

Give him some time, God could not fix everything thats gone wrong in the last 4 years, in 5wks. Talk about possibably the most thankless job in the world. I'm not sure why he wanted it.
Bring Hippo back give me a break. :nervous:

solituna

Jan 26, 2004
Still sucks

Man!!! I thought it would get better. And it did. For a while that is. Things are not as bad as pre-election, but things are worse, again. I live in Bella Vista in Santo Domingo.

Co?o!! Diablo!!