Living in DR

TheOne

Feb 8, 2004
I'm planing to move to DR in the next year or so.
Would it be possible for me to live, confortably, in Santo Domingo with $50,000 per month. :nervous: :paranoid:

I was born and raised over there.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
TheOne said:
Would it be possible for me to live, confortably, in Santo Domingo with $50,000 per month. :nervous: :paranoid:

Pesos or USD?

Gimabella

Sep 15, 2003
50,000 USD or Pesos a month?

with pesos your good to go, a month depending on your living style...........with Dollars.................you'll have more than the current presidential salary i beleive..............

i plan on living on 1,000 USD a month within a year from know hopefully ill get a decent paying job soon and won't need to really use much ...............
when i go

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I would hate to try to get by on what amounts to US$1,200 a month, RD$50,000 a month. That's pretty marginal.

dwntwn22

Aug 25, 2003
TheOne said:

$50.000. a month USD?? are you married??? you just might be "the one"

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
From what I've read so far, a doctor makes about US$300 a month. Few people earn RD$50.000 a month in DR. Although I don't live there, my intuition and logic tell me that if you manage your money well, you'll make it. You can rent a good apt for less than US$300. In the interior it is even cheaper. Like they say, it all depends on your lifestyle. I guess that if you own your car or your apt. that money will go even farther. (I mean, for that money you can live pretty well anywhere in Mexico, even Mexico City and I have read that Santo Domingo is rated as being less expensive than Mexico City. Still, it is one of the most expensive places to live in the DR., they say.
I am sure there foreigners living and working in Sto. Domingo who make that amount of money a month and even less. Since I am by nature a very frugal person, I could live on that money almost everywhere and even save some!

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Spoken like a true "Capitale?o"

But the answer is that , of course you can do it on RD$50,000 a month

You can live a comfortable, modest life style with no problems.

Trouble comes if you try and follow the joneses, buying vehicles and dressing up to get a haircut.

Food is still a relatively small expense on that kind of monthly income--as long as you do not eat out and can prepare your own food. You can even have a cook for most of your meals. Keep up your medical insurance and get Med Evac , JIC.

If you move everything down here, including your car, you should be fine, as long as you keep your head (actually, both of them) about you.

Budgeting will be important once you are setteled in. Here, most people will recommend a three or four month "trial period" before doing anything "permanent" and that is avery wise advice.

HB :D

Last edited:

TheOne

Feb 8, 2004
It Is RD$50,000 .

Thank you all for you input. You have really helped me. ;)
I will be living by myself. Have my own car.

mike-mike

Feb 16, 2003
living cheap in Santo Domingo

Hello,
Last year, i was living in the Dominican Republic. We were 2 , my girlfriend and I, living in Naco (Santo Domingo, -posh and expensive-). we were earning 16000 pesos a month (when we were getting paid on time!!!:) ), cumulated wages. We had to pay our rent (one bedroom from a local guy which was 6000 pesos a month - room located in Naco, convenient, as we were teaching in a school next block), food and travel (guagua mainly, for long journeys, we had the luxury to travel with the fully(!) air-conditionned Caribe tour bus).
It wasn't easy, but we made it and had an excellent time!
so i can only imagine what i would have done with 50000 pesos a month!
It was actually good to live with not much money, that was an excellent way to discover Santo Domingo and the entire Dominican Republic, living cheap, meeting loads of very interesting dominican people, compare to all those stupid people (mainly american (no racism, just noticing) showing off with their flashy cars, their bucks, and their budweiser...pathetic.

Have fun and have a good day!
Mike

TheOne said:
It Is RD$50,000 .

Thank you all for you input. You have really helped me. ;)
I will be living by myself. Have my own car.