Artist Question

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
Hi.....everyone

For those that are fluent in Bachata. Lately i've heard that the Bachatero Yoskar Serrante is very ill (almost dying) in the Dominican republic and that he will not be able sing again.

Is there any truth to this? :rolleyes: I hope not, he's right up there with Antony and Raulin.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
It's true....

JANET/NJ,

Yes, it's true however, the media and surely by request of the artist is trying to downplay his condition. But according to the follow up I have done "tiene ganglios en la garganta". I am not too sure what that is but it's a serious disease which will most likely put an end to his career. We will have to wait and see because he does have a new release pending.

-Lesley D

JANET/NJ said:
Hi.....everyone

For those that are fluent in Bachata. Lately i've heard that the Bachatero Yoskar Serrante is very ill (almost dying) in the Dominican republic and that he will not be able sing again.

Is there any truth to this? :rolleyes: I hope not, he's right up there with Antony and Raulin.

Last edited:

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
Hello Lesley

I heard someone mention it was hepatitis C or something of that sort.

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
what about Raulin

While we are on the subject i also heard that Raulin has HIV and that he might also be dying soon........anyone heard anything about this.

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
Thanks

Lesley D said:
JANET/NJ,

Yes, it's true however, the media and surely by request of the artist is trying to downplay his condition. But according to the follow up I have done "tiene ganglios en la garganta". I am too sure what that is but it's a serious disease which will most likely put an end to his career. We will have to wait and see because he does have a new release pending.

-Lesley D

for the info lesley.......if you hear anything else keep me posted, its such a shame. I love his songs.
It must be something really sirious because he has converted into "el evangelio" i think he's pentacostal.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
That's depressing if it's true

Hi Janet/NJ,

This is news to me regarding Raulin R. I am just curious to know your source of information. I really hope that it is just a rumor. Besides Raulin being in his prime he is also very young-34yrs. I have heard interesting gossip about Raulin but HIV, no. Well, I will see what I can find out. I'll let you know if I get any concrete details.

-Lesley D

JANET/NJ said:
While we are on the subject i also heard that Raulin has HIV and that he might also be dying soon........anyone heard anything about this.

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
Lesley D said:
Hi Janet/NJ,

This is news to me regarding Raulin R. I am just curious to know your source of information. I really hope that it is just a rumor. Besides Raulin being in his prime he is also very young-34yrs. I have heard interesting gossip about Raulin but HIV, no. Well, I will see what I can find out. I'll let you know if I get any concrete details.

-Lesley D

I've been hearing about Raulin and his illness for about a year from friends, but i have yet to hear something concrete. I was told that this is the reason why he took so long in launching another album.

But tell me what interesting gossip about him have you heard?

As for Yoskar, i do hope is nothing sirious and that he will get better soon.......i love the way he sings Bachata with such feeling and his lyrics are excellent. Its great music to dance to especially after some shots of tequila ;)

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Regarding Raulin and Yoskar

Janet,

Wow that is incredible I have not heard anything like that at all. I have always heard that Raulin had a drug problem and that's why his original and long standing record label Platano Records would not resign his contract. Therefore he switched from Platano to J & N Records.

As for Yoskar, I think it is serious because he has been totally removed from public view. They used to feature his music regularly on Sabado de Corporan and I have not heard any mention of him since the beginning of this year. I agree with you his bachata is contagious although different from the others like Raulin and Antony. I think his last album No es casualidad really put him on the map. It truly has some nice bachatas like Guitarra, Perdido, No tengo suerte en el amor and He tenido que llorar are "grandes exitos". Actually no tequila needed to dance to those ones. Yoskar's new release is pending it's called "Vivi". It will be released on October 5, 2004.

-Lesley D

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Yoskar / Raulin

Hello bachatera/os,

About Yoskar, all I know is that he lost a lot of weight when I saw him last time on TV in the DR and that he converted into a very evangelic person.
As for Raulin I haven't heard anything about him but I will ask my DR friends.
Bartolomeo

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
Lesley D said:
Janet,

Wow that is incredible I have not heard anything like that at all. I have always heard that Raulin had a drug problem and that's why his original and long standing record label Platano Records would not resign his contract. Therefore he switched from Platano to J & N Records.

As for Yoskar, I think it is serious because he has been totally removed from public view. They used to feature his music regularly on Sabado de Corporan and I have not heard any mention of him since the beginning of this year. I agree with you his bachata is contagious although different from the others like Raulin and Antony. I think his last album No es casualidad really put him on the map. It truly has some nice bachatas like Guitarra, Perdido, No tengo suerte en el amor and He tenido que llorar are "grandes exitos". Actually no tequila needed to dance to those ones. Yoskar's new release is pending it's called "Vivi". It will be released on October 5, 2004.

-Lesley D

Thanks for the info Lesley.................my favorite from Yoskar is "La Noche".

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
Cool

Bartolomeo67 said:
Hello bachatera/os,

About Yoskar, all I know is that he lost a lot of weight when I saw him last time on TV in the DR and that he converted into a very evangelic person.
As for Raulin I haven't heard anything about him but I will ask my DR friends.
Bartolomeo

I would appreciate any news on him............they do not mention him on the radio here in NJ/NY, not even 'el pacha' who is the mouth of the south or on the morning radio shows when they do the gossip parts.

Hey Bartolomeo, you mentioned you're a DJ...where about?

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
JANET/NJ said:
I would appreciate any news on him............they do not mention him on the radio here in NJ/NY, not even 'el pacha' who is the mouth of the south or on the morning radio shows when they do the gossip parts.

Hey Bartolomeo, you mentioned you're a DJ...where about?

Belgium, Europe
Are you organizing a party?
Bartolomeo

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I know they are organizing a huge concert in NYC at the United Palace in Yoskar's honor.

Lesly, all the 'greats' will be there: Raulin, A Santos, Joe Veras, F Reyes, Hector Acosta (the guy from Los Toros Band) - also Aventura, Krisspy, and many others. It sounds like too many people and too good to be true... but lets see. If I find a good group to go, I'll pay the price.

I never like Yoskar too much, but he has some nice songs. My favorite is La Noche also. I've never heard anything about Raulin, they are pretty much under wraps if you ask me...

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
TD,

Thanks for the information. If this concert takes place I think will be a wonderful tribute to Yoskar Sarante especially if the recognized bachateros support the event.

Well, Janet and you mentioned "La Noche" as one of his songs you like. For sure, it's a classic but surprisingly that whole album "Llora alma m?a" is full of bachatas of that caliber.

When is the concert? Do you know?

-Lesley D

Talldrink said:
I know they are organizing a huge concert in NYC at the United Palace in Yoskar's honor.

Lesly, all the 'greats' will be there: Raulin, A Santos, Joe Veras, F Reyes, Hector Acosta (the guy from Los Toros Band) - also Aventura, Krisspy, and many others. It sounds like too many people and too good to be true... but lets see. If I find a good group to go, I'll pay the price.

I never like Yoskar too much, but he has some nice songs. My favorite is La Noche also. I've never heard anything about Raulin, they are pretty much under wraps if you ask me...

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
Yess!

Talldrink said:

I heard of this concert on the radio........"A tribute to Yoskar", which to me means his situation cannot be good.
Last time a tribute was done was for Celia Cruz and we all know where she's at now.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Lesley D said:
Well, Janet and you mentioned "La Noche" as one of his songs you like. For sure, it's a classic but surprisingly that whole album "Llora alma m?a" is full of bachatas of that caliber.

When is the concert? Do you know? -Lesley D

I may just buy that CD on your recommendation alone...

The concert is Sat Oct. 9 at the United Palace in NYC. Why dont you get a weekender fare from Canada and join us?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Janet and Talldrink

TD,

That's short notice for me I need a little more lead time.

However, we think alike. I did not want to be the one to say it but when Talldrink mentioned a tribute that translated as a "goodbye" in my mind. As well, I find it interesting that his new album is called Viv? (in the past tense)

-Lesley D

PD. I almost forgot to say Thanks for the invite TD.

Talldrink said:
I may just buy that CD on your recommendation alone...

The concert is Sat Oct. 9 at the United Palace in NYC. Why dont you get a weekender fare from Canada and join us?

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
So whats the big deal if he dies, look at it this way, one less chopo to deal with.
AZB

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
Cant Wait...............

AZB said:
So whats the big deal if he dies, look at it this way, one less chopo to deal with.
AZB

I am going to make sure I get a job at the Dominican Counsil when I head to D.R to have you a$$ deported.