Don't Drink the Water?!?!

OctoberBride04

Sep 14, 2004
After talking with my family and friends this past weekend - I am hesitant to even breathe, let alone eat or drink, in the DR (or any place foreign for that matter!!). We are staying at PUNTA CANA GRAND (SUNSCAPE) for our honeymoon. The last thing I want is for either of us to be so sick we can't move... Any suggestions on what to stay away from? I mean - in the resort... are we good to drink the mixed drinks? What about eating food (specifically fruits and veggies) that has been washed? What should we do if we decide to eat outside of the resort? Timelessdreams gave us this awesome place to eat - and I would hate not to experience something different! Please let me know what is the right way to go about eating.. We'll be there for 5 days - and it is our honeymoon - we need to eat for energy (wink! wink!)
I appreciate any responses I get!
Have a great day!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Never drink , brush teeth or keep your mouth open in the shower insofar as tap water is concerned, filtered or not as it is putrid. Brush with bottled water (I keep a warm gallon in the bathroom as really cold fridge water is pretty shocking on the teeth). Locals don't drink the tap water either.

Don't eat food cart food, burgers or these wierd cabbage and meat things.

Sit down restaurants have never troubled me, I avoid the cafeteria style ones or buffets mainly because they are never keep hot food hot and cold cold, it is all ambient temperature. Most are operated by non-Dominicans anyway and they eat there too.

Peeled food such as bananas or mangos, papaya etc, if they are handled hygenically when they are prepared is OK. I personally avoid lettuce except one place that washes it leaf by leaf in bleach water - as a friend of mine said, you can't sterilize lettuce with a blowtorch.

Frankly staying up all hours and drinking too much and overeating all because it is "free" is the main reason most gringos get sick and usually inside the AI's.

Ask your family doctor for a week's supply of Cipro if you get the scours 2 X 500 mg a day for 5-7 days will rid you of the main cuase if it isn't dysentery and that is rare for tourists.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
First thing to do is change your friends & family!!!! If they have made you THAT worried about coming down here I would suggest they are being overdramatic in their reports, never really sampled the DR or are scaremongers!! Food & drink on the hotel complex is VERY safe & 'OFF CAMPUS' you just need to exercise a bit of caution. As Robert says, there are over 2.5 MILLION visitors to these shores over a year's period & possibly 2% of those end up with 'the runs'. A further 0.5% MAX pick up a virus of some sort & have to visit hospital for some medication!!

In & away from the hotel drink only bottled water. Having lived here for 12 years (& remained very healthy thank you) I have got used to brushing my teeth with tap water, but would recommend you stick to bottled water for that purpose too if you feel you might have a sensitive stomach!! Out of the hotel, make sure that ANY ice you have in your drink is the sort that has a hole through the centre of it. This means it was produced with suitably prepared & chemicallt treated water rather than 'Tap' water. Ask to go see the kitchens if you have any doubts about the place you are visiting - the owners will be quite happy to oblige if the place has a reputation to uphold!!

I would heartily recommend bringing medicines that can ward off stomach upsets - just in case your stomach is a tender one, but speak to your doctor first to see what he/she recommends. The BIG 'No, No' is a LOT of alcohol plus a lot of time in the sun!! Alchol dehydrates you, the SUN dehydrates you - the two together are often the MAIN cause for people suffering stomach upsets because they overdo both. Water, fruit juices & periods of cool in the shade will do far more for keeping the stomach in good shape than eating in the POSHEST of 'A la Carte' restaurants!!!

Have fun & enjoy the honeymoon!! - Grahame.

OctoberBride04

Sep 14, 2004
:) Thank you!

Thank you everyone! You hear horror stories all the time. I know my Aunt and Uncle work for the US Embassy and have been in India and Venuzula and are on their way to Russia...and they are the ones warning on "the runs". I think we'll stick with prepared foods and only do bottled water (for everything). I'm not worried about drinking to much or laying out in the sun too long... with that we both are smart enough to know when to say when! No one wants to go away on a vacation, honeymoon or not, and get sick!
I've heard that the resorts use only filtered water for everything... would anyone know if this is true?

DaveinNY

Jul 9, 2004
If it's like Mexico, the ONLY thing the tap is good for, on or off the resort, is for bathing. Drinking and brushing teeth should only be done with bottled water.

Don't panic, if you take all reasonable precautions, you'll be fine. If you really want to cover your bases, start taking Pepto-Bismol caplets, 2 times a day starting 2 days before you leave and keep taking them for 2 days after you arrive home.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
OctoberBride04 said:
After talking with my family and friends this past weekend - I am hesitant to even breathe, let alone eat or drink, in the DR (or any place foreign for that matter!!).

Hesitant to even breathe in a foreign place???

Well, would you not be hesitant to breathe in Los Angeles (horrible smog) or New York in the Summer (you can smell it in the air)?

Your family is being over protective! After your vacation in this real paradise you will be telling them how wrong they are! Of course, that only would happen if you take the given precautions.

The DR is not like the US, but its not like Africa or India. Plus, you'll be in Punta Cana, probably one of the freshest air to be found in the planet. Tap water is not good anywhere in the tropics (even in south Florida), so that is that.

Don't worry and be happy that you are going to paradise!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I have been to the DR many times....and on my first visit i drank some unfiltered water (i dont think i would do that again). Nor would i eat from the food stands on the beach (tho damn..the fish looked REALLY good!)

What is interesting tho....is that i tend to get Sick when i come back home to NYC and start eating HERE. I guess it is because i only drink bottled water (or rum or cervesa) while there...and the food i eat is very fresh...and things are served in moderation. Every year when i come back my mom and her friend swings though and visist me for a few days....we always to to the top notch italian place around the corner from me.....and i ALWAYS get sick.....the food is just soooooo rich.

Soooo....DONT eat off the beach....DONT eat off carts (something i wouldnt do in NYC). Drink lots Presidente and Brugal (with pleanty of bottled water).

I DO recommend getting out of your AI tho....and experience some of the local life.

If you are still really conserned.....ask your doctor for some antibioics that you can take before traveling.

You are gonna be fine!!!! just dont drink from the tap!!!

jj

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
A quick tip & something I meant to include in the earlier post but didn't - try increasing your salt intake for about a month before you come down!! You will be loosing a lot of minerals by sweating whilst down here & some of these can be replaced by increasing your salt intake on food. Keep up the increased salt whilst here of course, & then you will also be ready to drink more fresh water &/or fruit juices!! - Grahame.

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
My doctor recommended taking "Mega Acidophilus" a week or two prior to traveling. This is similar to eating yogurt or other cultured foods in vitamin form. It makes your system less sensitive to higher levels of natural bacteria.
This can be purchased in a GNC type of store. Make sure you buy the highest dosage available. It is still advisable to use listerine after brushing with tap water.

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
You get all these people coming down here for their one week of vacation time a year?They are white as ghosts, stressed out from their jobs, haven?t done more then 2 consecutive minutes of excursive in the last 12 months and upon landing in the D.R. (or any other vacation place) they proceed to stuff themselves at the buffet, drink until they can?t stand up and barbeque themselves in the sun.

But it?s very clear that the bad tap water is what made them sick.

OctoberBride04

Sep 14, 2004
Thank you!

So, all in all... As long as we stay away from the tap water - except for bathing (with our mouths closed)...and do everything in moderation...we'll be fine.

Can anyone answer this: Do the resorts use filtered water to wash their produce? I am a huge fruit and veggie person...rarely do I eat meat... so for me to go away for a week and not know if the fruit/veggies (my main source of food) are going to make me sick worries me!

I really want to enjoy this honeymoon - and not be puking or on the pot all day long!!!!

Thanks everyone for your weath of knowledge!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
OctoberBride04 said:
So, all in all... As long as we stay away from the tap water - except for bathing (with our mouths closed)...and do everything in moderation...we'll be fine.

Can anyone answer this: Do the resorts use filtered water to wash their produce? I am a huge fruit and veggie person...rarely do I eat meat... so for me to go away for a week and not know if the fruit/veggies (my main source of food) are going to make me sick worries me!

I really want to enjoy this honeymoon - and not be puking or on the pot all day long!!!!

Thanks everyone for your weath of knowledge!

In resorts, they're generally careful with water so I would say, yes. It's not good for their rep when people get sick. Outside of the hotel, that's another story. I would recommend being careful with salad, cabbage and any other fruit or vegetable that's not peeled. Boiled is a good option. My mother used to always get stomach problems when she'd eat too much pineapple... Remember that all the fruits and vegetables you'll eat are local produce and therefore do not go through rigorous testing and quality checks. In short, be smart.

Snowbird

Jan 17, 2002
A Dominican Stomach

Last year was the first time in nine years that I have ever experienced "Dominican Stomach". Much to my surprise, a Canadian friend asked if I had taken Gravol? Because I had never heard of Gravol, I just thought he was being a smart butt and was refering to the stuff birds pick at on the roads, gravel. Anyway, to speed this up... after some discussion, he explained to me what it was. I tried it, and my stomach problems disappeared in a matter of hours. Yahoo!! Upon returning to the USA, I asked a pharmacist about Gravol. It turns out that Gravol is simply Dramamine. In the future, I will have an ample supply of Dramamine to ward off any unwanted occurances of Dominican Stomach.

I hope this works for you.

Enjoy your Dominican experience :)

SB

hooptie2

Feb 9, 2004
great advice

Lechero said:
My doctor recommended taking "Mega Acidophilus" a week or two prior to traveling. This is similar to eating yogurt or other cultured foods in vitamin form. It makes your system less sensitive to higher levels of natural bacteria.
This can be purchased in a GNC type of store. Make sure you buy the highest dosage available. It is still advisable to use listerine after brushing with tap water.

I too take acidophilus 2 weeks to a month prior to my visits to DR and continue while there. If your a yogurt eater eat that daily prior to going. We have been visiting DR several times a year for the past 11 years and I have never ever been sick. I do my fair share of brugal while there but always drink plenty of filtered or bottled water daily. I use the tap water to wet my tooth brush but rinse with the filtered water that's in my room. Eat, drink, and be merry on your honeymoon. Enjoy yourselves-just use common sense. judi