Passports????

M&C

Sep 20, 2004
Hi! I just need a little newbie info. I am getting mixed messages on traveling to the DR when it comes to ID's and passports. I dont have a passport and my 7 day trip is less than 3 weeks away. Is a drivers license and birth certificate OK?

thanks

TorontoGuy

Sep 20, 2004
Where are you travelling from? Coming from Canada we were told we need passports. And as for the lack of time to get them, when you apply for it they courier it to you in 10 business days or less. Mine took 8, got it today. Or if you're really worried, pay the extra $30 and get it in 3 days

if you're not from Canada, don't have much info for you, other than I would assume if you're from the US you need your passport too.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
For Canada and the US

passports are recommended but not required.

Original BC and Government issued picture ID (e.g. DL) is acceptable.

Gregg

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Passports are the best document you can have.

However, for the DR, they just want to be sure you are who you say you are. You do have to return to your country of origin and after 9/11, things can get sticky if you don't have good, solid picture IDs on you.

Spend the bucks and get a passport, they can be expedited and you can have one in the time you have left.

However, bottom line: No you do not need one. A good Birth Certificate and a couple of good Photo IDs are sufficient.

HB:D

Pomli

Sep 17, 2004
If you don't want to waste time, money and energy

If you ask for a passport, be sure to take your picture in a specialized place. Don't go to the pharmacies, as my dad and couple of people's passports have been return back to them because their picture taken at those places did not conform to the rules. Anyways, that happens in Quebec in Canada!

M&C

Sep 20, 2004
OK great. if they will expedite them then I will get one tomorrow. And yes I am in the US. Thanks for the help.

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
M&C said:
OK great. if they will expedite them then I will get one tomorrow. And yes I am in the US. Thanks for the help.

Where you are coming from the US things have changed with their airport security since 9/11, so you may want to check with them to see what ID is required to get on a plane in the US. For Canada, I personally have a passprot, but people I have travelled with have used photo id, and birth certificate and had no problemas! But coming from the US, you may have more problemas on the US end then the DR end.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
baileyboy said:
Where you are coming from the US things have changed with their airport security since 9/11, so you may want to check with them to see what ID is required to get on a plane in the US. For Canada, I personally have a passprot, but people I have travelled with have used photo id, and birth certificate and had no problemas! But coming from the US, you may have more problemas on the US end then the DR end.

If you are Canadian you can freely enter the US with photo ID (driver's license)
and proof of birth here, and since you can do the same to enter the DR you are fine with a US connection. that said travelling outside your home country without a passport is not the best thing to do anymore but as for the USA and us it is still business as usual.