Travel to Haiti

AndySpb

Jun 10, 2004
Does anybody had any experience to travel by car to Haiti?
I heard that rental cars are not allowed to leave DR. Is it right?
If yes, then where is the best place to rent a car somwhere in Haiti close to the border? (Planning to go from Puerto Plata to Cap Haitien throw Dajabon)

Any ideas are welcome.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
AndySpb said:
Does anybody had any experience to travel by car to Haiti?
I heard that rental cars are not allowed to leave DR. Is it right?
If yes, then where is the best place to rent a car somwhere in Haiti close to the border? (Planning to go from Puerto Plata to Cap Haitien throw Dajabon)

Any ideas are welcome.

You are right that rental cars are not allowed to leave the DR.

AndySpb

Jun 10, 2004
Dolores said:
You are right that rental cars are not allowed to leave the DR.

So which is the best place to rent a car somwhere in Haiti near from Dajabon?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You are joking, right?

You want to go to the most lawless area of Haiti , rent a car-yeah right- and then travel the only road to Port au Prince, and that goes right throught the area controlled by the "rebel forces" that got rid of the last government.

I think that you should get on a bus in Santo Domingo or someplace else and then get to Santo Domingo and take the Caribe Tours bus that leaves at 11 in the morning and go to Haiti. Anything else is not really wise.

Unfortunately, Haiti is still in chaos, they need everything and are not getting much of that two billion that was "promised" a few months ago.

HB:D

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I drove that route in May and it was OK. There was a French army checkpoint on the junction to Fort Liberte but apart from that things were normal. Driving in daylight hours is strongly advised, and the road is in an appalling condition until just a few kms from Cap.

There may be a car rental place in Ouanaminthe (the Dominican name is Juana Mendez) the border town on the Haitian side when you cross from Dajabon, but I don't know for a fact. This isn't a Haiti message board (I'll probably get my knuckles rapped for straying into non-DR territory) so you'd better try a guide book or another website where people may be able to give you more detailed info.