DR lucky compared with Haiti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
According to the Canadian media (The Toronto Star), over 600 people have died in northern Haiti. Many more deaths are expected as bodies continue to be pulled from the mud. It is a crisis situation that will probably impact the DR. There is some learning here too--the higher death toll is directly related to the high degree of deforestation in Haiti. Mudslides and flooding caused most of the deaths.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Today's local news saying

that rescue workers are still pulling bodies out of the river in Gonaives. Estimates are over 1,000, perhaps way, way over.

I don't believe one story in the papers. It said that helicopters had taken off to inspect the island of Tortuga (off the coast to the north of Port du Paiix), but they couldn't find it.!! There were supposedly 26,000 people on Tortuga...

We'll see..

No matter what, it is one more tragedy for Haiti.

HB

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
In the Diario Libre this morning it said that the island had been found. I'm really curious to know if it floated off, or magically disappeared but according to reports they fared the storm pretty well.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Great sadness

I was listening to CBC radio--interviews with Haitians in Canada who know people who have lost entire families. Somehow I can't bear to read questions from people asking DR1 whether their resorts will reopen in time for their trip. I wonder if there is a Haiti1 online..... Somehow I doubt it. I was last in Haiti in 1976. I took a cab up the mountain, and bought the most beautiful art I have ever purchased. I still have the mahogany salad bowl--my ex husband kept the masks (how appropriate). I know I contributed to the deforestation, but whenever I said "no", the price dropped. We share an island with Haiti, and our wealth has been purchased at its expense.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Gabriela said:
We share an island with Haiti, and our wealth has been purchased at its expense.
Great sadness aside for what's happen in Haiti the statement above is a load of crap. Whatever little we have cannot be said to be at anyone's expense.

There is a lesson to be learnt from this tragedy. You do not mess with mother nature, she's a merciless b****. Maybe we'll learn it, but I doubt it.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Gabriela said:
I wonder if there is a Haiti1 online..... Somehow I doubt it.

haitienmarche.com

haitionline.com

kreyol.com

haitiforever.com

Just for starters.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This is a Dominican Republic related message board.
Please follow the links posted in this thread to read about Haiti.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.