naivete, paranoia, and reality

A

arcoiris

I notice that there are some people who are very paranoid about Dominicans who want to marry to get out. The reality is that many poor Dominicans see no hope in improving their lot within their own country with such inadequate resources. They know they are the 2nd poorest country, next to their neighbor, Haiti, in this hemisphere. They know that there is a much higher standard of living in the US. So, like many others in the world, they want to come and get a piece of the pie. The only difference is that the US would prefer an Irishman, Frenchmen, or Italian to a Dominican, which is discrimination and prejudice. Not many are con artists who exploit the opposite sex unethically, but there are some. Some are honest about wanting an American or CAnadian spouse, but are sincere in their desire to be a good spouse in return. Some really love their country and their families and are dedicated to service, whether from within or without, or with Dominican or foreign spouses. The Dominican Republic is being exploited by foreigners who buy land, own businesses, and vacation there, thereby benefitting from them without thought of helping them. Let's not be paranoid that every Dominican is out to exploit you, nor be naive that none are, but face the reality that they are like we are, with good and bad mixed in. Sometimes paranoia come from our own guilt, projecting our own stuff onto them. Let's be as good to them as we can be, and as we want them to be to us, whose own motives are not perfect.

R

Rafael Lopez

Often one of the joys I have at end of my day is to read this page. Sometimes I wonder where some people get their facts, frecuently I remain silent so not to get into arguments full of prejudisms due to inadecuate historical and actual facts. I would like to know where did arcoiris obtained this information" they know they are the 2nd. poorest country ...."