A trip to Punta Ruc?a, after Jeanne

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
With some trepidation, my sonm my grandson and a great grandnephew and I all took off in the Chevy Pickup for Punta Ruc?a, to look for damage or whatever, after Jeanne had passed by.

The afternoon before, we had talked to D.D. and he assured us that he would be there in the late afternoon for some R&R. Been a long time since we have been able to alk and this looked like a great opportunity if there was anywhere left to sit.

As we were tooling up the highway towards Montecriste, my son dials up his first cousin Mickey and tells him that he had to make the trip and , oh by the way, bring some pork chops, casabe and more beer.

The road from Villa Elisa to Punta Ruc?a has been undergoing re-construction for years now and it seems that recently the first few kilometers have been well paved. After that it is all down hill.

The effects of the rais were in evidence as we got further and further north, Giant gouges in the road, entire chuncks or the roadway just washed away in the area near Agua de Palma all the way to the crest of the road. The long downhill part was nasty, indeed, and it must be fixed soon or all of the work that has been done will be lost. Recent work was basically washed away.

The good news was that there were no trees down, except those that had been totally washed out of their growing spot. Everything was rapidly turning green.

The beach, itself, was quite damp and the lagoon in back of the settlement of Punta Ruc?a was full to the brim.

Fortunately, out place was intact with not damage--big whew-so we releades the kids into the water and set up the BBQ and filled it with the charcoal-mesquite, of course-that we had bought along the road (RD$80.00)

About an hour later Mickey and D.D. arrived with their crown and we settled in for an afternoon of beer, talk, cigars, talk, beer, talk, pork chops and casave, and beer and talk. It was great! One of those days when every part just clicks into place. There was enough food and beer for everyone, and the conversation never lacked for a topic that brought out more sparkling insights.
In case you don't know D.D., he and his wife are two really wise folk... hard working and honest as the day is long.

Late in the afternoon, it rained a bunch, but we really did not worry about getting out, something that would have really been a problem a twenty years ago. However, we were the last ones to leave, after cleaning up a bit, and when we got to the big hill there was Mickey stuck in his Daihatsu truck. We got him up the hill and all made it home free.

Great day and glad that the Hovel-North is still there!!

HB:D:D:D

Keith&Cris

Aug 22, 2002
www.keithbroad.com
Great Tale!

Glad the old homestead survived, HB! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post (I just love happy endings! ;) ) I enjoyed it all the more because it brought back great memonies of our trip to Punta Rucia, during our Paradise Island tour. Thanks for the memories!
Keith
(ps see you in December!)