Bottles of Rum! And customs.

M&C

Sep 20, 2004
Does anyone know how many bottles of booze we are allowed to bring back with us to the US?

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
Ron

It is never a problem leaving with as many as you want, a few pesos @ Aduana and they look the other way. I believe you are allowed to leave with "3 bottles". I have only been stopped once on the way out with 3 X 1.75s of Brugal and 5 Litre's of Barcelo Anejo! I smiled and slipped the guy100 pesos and he said "bien viaje"!

The official US policy is you may have One Litre of spirits Duty Free. If you do not look suspicious and have normal looking luggage they let you right through. The worst case scenario is you pay the US Customs tax and tell them you did not know. You will only have to pay the tax on what you paid for it in Pesos. Keep a receipt hidden just in case.

Last edited:

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
As far as I know

there is no export limit from the DR (reasonable personal use quantities).

I routinely bring back 6 X 1.75 L. Brugal Extra Viejo without paying anything to anyone in the DR. I pay Canadian duties to import some into Canada which excedes the personal exemptions for my wife and myself.

Also the US policy is one litre PLUS if you are returning from a list of Carribean Basin Countries which includes the DR you are allowed an extra litre as long as at least one of the litres is from the list of Carribean Basin Countries.

This info is posted if you do a Google search.

Gregg

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Lechero said:
It is never a problem leaving with as many as you want, a few pesos @ Aduana and they look the other way.

Who goes through aduana (customs) when leaving? I don't. Are you bribing the security doofuses? Just put a pack of gum or a BIC lighter in the tray and they are so thrilled to "confiscate" it that they probably won't even look at the Xray. Which they apparently do so badly now you do it all over again at the gates. It hasn't stopped.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
ricktoronto said:
Just put a pack of gum or a BIC lighter in the tray and they are so thrilled to "confiscate" it that they probably won't even look at the Xray. Which they apparently do so badly now you do it all over again at the gates. It hasn't stopped.

I just got back today. I set off the alert when going through the detectors in POP airport and had to empty my pockets. The guy checking what i had emptied out desperately wanted the 'virtually completely used' phone cards i had.

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
Lechero said:
I have only been stopped once on the way out with 3 X 1.75s of Brugal and 5 Litre's of Barcelo Anejo! I smiled and slipped the guy100 pesos and he said "bien viaje"!
I'm with Rick on this one...are you talking about the guys that search through your luggage before checking in with the airline? They always laugh when they see how many bottles I have.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Entering the US and going through customs, the limit is two bottles of booze that you can bring through. Customs will confiscate anything over two bottles. I dont think it makes a difference what size the bottles are. If they don't check your bags then you can bring as many as you want :).

Larry

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
what has worked for a "friend"

because you are allowed to bring 24 355 ml bottles of beer or 1.14 litres of hard stuff back to Canada as duty free my "friend" would take 24 small bottles of rum and replace the easily consumed bottles of Presidente into the bee ;) r case and prepare it for shipping by labling it with flight info and name as you would do with any checked luggage and if ever asked about the contents (why would anyone ask it would seem obvious the box would contain 24 355 ml bottles of Presidente)
Think about it!