Purchasing in DR

batmank2j4c5

Sep 20, 2004
Hi

I'm considering a retirement residence in the DR. I would like to start a new thread on places to consider and experiences of those who have done the
retirement thing. Is the North or the South better, what are the options,
how is saftey a factor, water supply, electricity, getting a veichle.

Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Your "new thread" would be like number two thousand on this topic

Please go to the search function and type in "Moving to the DR" or any of your questions and see what pops up.

HB :D

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Hillbilly is getting "feisty" on the DR board now.....

....about time you gave up being nice all the time...hahaha.

dms3611 aka "king of pain"

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
AW, gimme a break, will ya??

I mean, after all, what was this? Like the 2,125th post on the same thing?

Sheesh, just a little "Search" would help a bunch, and then we can all turn on him and tell him what he needs to know....

?Am I really getting that grumpy?? Oh well I just turned 66 today, so I am able to do that, I guess......Anniversary of me and 6.5 Earthquakes...HB's Earthquake!

HB :D:D:D

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Well, happy birthday HB....

Hillbilly said:
I mean, after all, what was this? Like the 2,125th post on the same thing?

Sheesh, just a little "Search" would help a bunch, and then we can all turn on him and tell him what he needs to know....

?Am I really getting that grumpy?? Oh well I just turned 66 today, so I am able to do that, I guess......Anniversary of me and 6.5 Earthquakes...HB's Earthquake!

our toast tonight will be to you.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hillbilly said:
............... Oh well I just turned 66 today, so I am able to do that, I guess......Anniversary of me and 6.5 Earthquakes...HB's Earthquake!

So THAT's why you didn't ring me to go play golf today???? Huh, having a birthday celebration rather than a game of golf with me ...... shame on you!!! :cry:

Happy B'day Old Fellar!! You can get your own back on me in about 3 weeks time!! Hang on, I'll just go & open up that Glen Grant with a small Glen Morangie to follow!! Hic~!!! & Cheers Old Man!!! ~ Grahame. ;)

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
batmank2j4c5 said:
Hi

I'm considering a retirement residence in the DR. I would like to start a new thread on places to consider and experiences of those who have done the
retirement thing. Is the North or the South better, what are the options,
how is saftey a factor, water supply, electricity, getting a veichle.

Thanks

Sorry to have hijacked your thread above but the Old Curmudgeon needs to be cajoled a bit these days by the looks of things. Goes on a weekend jaunt to his favourite Punta Rucia to have a barbeque with friends & still comes back for a birthday at home with the family ..... poor old guy!!

No. 1.- DON'T buy until you have been here for 6 months or so & had a GOOD look round at various places & got to know the lie of the land!

No. 2. - As HB suggests, look through all the threads on this subject, make notes of what you don't understand &/or want clarification/more information on & THEN come back with your questions. You will find this board most helpful in answering anything relatively new that has not been covered n million times before!

No. 3. - Saftey is NOT a problem as long as you take sensible precautions & work on the principle of keeping your head down. DON'T cause a stir by trying to show others up, DON'T shove your riches (actual or perceived) down Dominicans throats & be charming attentive to their needs as well as your own. With a fair bit of simpatico (compassion & understanding) you should have NO safety problems at all.

The North coast seems to have a greater number of ex-pats than the south coast (not sure if that is good or bad for YOUR requirements) but the south seems to have the future potential for growth AND the whiter sandy beaches! It really depends on what YOU are looking for as to where we might recommend. Analyse your requirements & then give us clues as to what you are looking for in surroundings, shopping facilities, growth potential etc.

If you choose the north coast & want the experiences of someone who has lived here 12 years, drop me an e-mail if/when you are ready & I'll do what I can to assist!! ~ Grahame.

batmank2j4c5

Sep 20, 2004
Thanks Grahame

Thanks Grahame;

I was starting to get disappointed here. This forum looks to be one of the best I had encountered, but the discussion that occurred here made start
to doubt this. So I understand there are those that have been on a forum for ever. They are the ones that have the most knowledge and usually
assist the new arrivals, not put them down.

I find the search tools on these forums poor at best. Since this has been done a thousand times. I seems that it would warrant a forum cateory
unto itself -- "Buying in the DR".

Thanks for the info.