Road/Bridge from Santo Domingo to La Romana

Danilo

Jan 4, 2002
Has anyone travelled from the capital east to La Romana since the storm? We heard that the road and bridge were in bad shape and unsafe.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Hlywud said:
There is NO bridge, temporary bridge maybe by this weekend.

Actually your wrong. Danilo is talking about the Santo Domingo side, not the Bayahibe side of La Romana.

A friend of mine did it the other day, he didn't have any problems.
I'm sure he would have told me if it was bad or unsafe.

CloggieBoots

Jan 17, 2004
www.caribbeanwizard.com
Rio Soco Problemo Today ???

You are right, in principle Robert, but today I left L R for the capital at 11:00 am and found that there was some kind of cock-up at the Rio Soco bridge, maybe an accident, maybe a bridge structural problem, no-one seemed to know for sure. Thus I used my back-woods 'shortcut' which takes one through Ramon Santana, the village hit very hard by Jeanne-related flooding. Then, on the way back at 7:00 pm it was still blocked, and I had to use the detour again !

I think that traffic had started to flow again when I rejoined the main road at the Santana Beach hotel, but does anyone know what the problem was ? It must have been fairly exciting as there were helicopters and all sorts buzzing around.

The main concern being, of course, whether there is some profound problem which may affect east-bound traffic.

The other comment is that the work on the Chavon bridge bypass is proceeding at a phenomenal pace, I was there yesterday and there is any amount of big, new, grown-up looking heavy plant shifting mud, rocks and all manner of matter, both organic and inorganic. I see no reason why the promise of a passage ( probably a ford initially ) by the weekend.

It is worth pausing amidst all the whinging about the crappy stuff that happens here, and acknowledging that when the s**t hits the fan the DR can really launch an impressive clean-up brigade !

Just for the record our boat was heavily damaged in the Cumayasa debacle, but not, extremely fortunately ( and thanks mainly to our extraordinary Dominican crew ), destroyed. We hope to have her repaired and back in service in a month or so. Many were not so fortunate, and, as far as we can tell, about half of the entire sailboat fleet working Bayahibe-Saona has been destroyed.

CB