Hurricane Jeanne in Las Terrenas

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
I just arrived in Las Terrenas from Santo Domingo and was shocked to find the devastation this supposedly "tropical storm" caused in Las Terrenas.

There hasn?t been much said in the news in Santo Domingo and I don?t understand why. Of all the places where there was damage, including Casa De Campo and Punta Cana, I think Las Terrenas suffered the most.

Thousands of trees down and many many people lost their homes. Electric cables and poles are still on the ground. Although power is back in some parts of town, many places are still without electricity and water.

Most restaurants are closed and most hotels have shot down temporarily while they clean up and repair.

Shame on the Dominican news that have neglected to notify the rest of the country about this tragedy.

Juniper

JWegman

Jan 3, 2002
Las Terranas damage

So sorry to hear about Las Terranas.

Can you tell me how badly the beaches were eroded and what percent of coconut palms along beaches were lost? We own land near El Portillo resort and are hopeful not all is lost.

How badly damaged were Las Terranas's businesses and homes?

Jwegman

Juniper said:
I just arrived in Las Terrenas from Santo Domingo and was shocked to find the devastation this supposedly "tropical storm" caused in Las Terrenas.

There hasn?t been much said in the news in Santo Domingo and I don?t understand why. Of all the places where there was damage, including Casa De Campo and Punta Cana, I think Las Terrenas suffered the most.

Thousands of trees down and many many people lost their homes. Electric cables and poles are still on the ground. Although power is back in some parts of town, many places are still without electricity and water.

Most restaurants are closed and most hotels have shot down temporarily while they clean up and repair.

Shame on the Dominican news that have neglected to notify the rest of the country about this tragedy.

Juniper

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
mY SON SAID

THAT 50% OF THE COCONUTtrees were damaged.

The area was devastated, no doubt. But reconstruction is well underway, and many of the small hotels are open for business. The beaches are fine.

HB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
HB,
I would not DREAM of arguing with yourself or the illustrious No.1 son, but yesterday I had lunch with someone who visited Samana & Las Terrenas & said the beaches were in a diabolical state. I think is exact words were "looked like a war torn area"!

He certainly said that most of the hotels were closed down for repairs/clean up & that it was unlikely these would be re-opening until November at the earliest! He did not quantify percentages of trees brought down in the area, but DID say very few places had electricity yet. Due to lack of tourists in the area, most shops were closed & shuttered to try & avoid looting etc!

Being a relatively new resident of the country, it is conceivable that his interpretations as to "Devastation" differs from that which we who have lived here many years feel is devastation, but he too was surprised not to have read something (he is able to read Spanish as it is almost a second language to him) on DR1 news &/or the national newspapers! ~ Grahame.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Las Terrenas Up-date

Hello everybody,
we just finnished a semi busy weekend, (it is off season). True, there are spots still to be cleaned and cleared and still spots you shake your head in disbelief at the downed trees but everybody in Las Terrenas have done a spectacular job in getting up and running again. The electric company was outstanding, power is restored to the end of Cosson, Punta Bonita etc. tel works, shops and restos and most hotels back to normal. Jeanne ? whos that ?.