Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Satelite dish which direction?

OK I finally got the system, now I have it mounted on my roof and can't figure out which way to point the darn thing.

We were up on the roof spinning it and no signal at all.

Can anybody tell me what the Azimuth should be from Santiago to get Direct TV transponder 2?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default MrMike

I am not sure this will help but, position of DTV's 3 Hughes satellites make up the DIRECTV system's primary orbital slot (location in space). The three satellites are so close together in space that the 18 inch DIRECTV satellite dish doesn't have to move in order to pick up the signals from all 3 satellites. In addition to their primary orbital slot located at 101 over the equator, the DIRECTV system has two more orbital slots. The additional orbital slots are at 110 and 119 over the equator. The added satellites provide additional local TV channels to those available on the primary orbital slot, they also have Spanish programming and HDTV channels.

My manual says that they hang in orbit generally over the area of Houston, Texas.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default OK, sort of got it.

It was a much better idea to try to do this in the daytime, I was able to get a signal almost right away - by spotting three other dishes in my neighborhood and more or less copying their angle.

Now the problem is I only get about 12 stations or so. The rest are "looking for signal" indefinitely. I am having some guys come over and try to do some fine tuning later so maybe they will be able to fix that. I never got the signal strength over 76% and it goes down as low as 46% so I probably just need someone who knows what they are doing to align the dish properly.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMike
    Now the problem is I only get about 12 stations or so.
    I have been told you also need the small dish to get all the stations.
    They align it a little differently.

The 3-4 setups I have seen here in SD all have the small dish as well as the larger dish and they some how combine the single.

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Combine the signals" Robert

Combine the Signals!!

Mike you got to excuse Robert, he is not really English....

Please let us know how your set works out buddy!

HB

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly
    Combine the Signals!!

Mike you got to excuse Robert, he is not really English....

Please let us know how your set works out buddy!

HB
    Yep, they combine the feeds (LNB's in each dish) into a switch so that you only need one receiver.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Success!!!

Finally got that sucker adjusted. It is going to be a great weekend. Already my wife has threatened to leave me if I watch one more Classic Rock documentary. My connection with current First World culture, which as of the beginning of the week was almost completely severed is beginning to grow strong again.

Rocky, Hillbilly, Chris, AZB, Robert, Pib, Anna, Bush Baby, AdrianB and any of my friends I forgot to mention: I am not a sports fan at all, but if any of you are and there is some game you are just dying to catch send me a PM or call me and come on over. (I may require that you bring refreshmnents depending on how I am stocked at the moment) I don't get Pay-per View so no UFC.

If I get really bored with the game I will wander upstairs to my new grill and grill you all some of my new low-carb hotwing recipe.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMike
    Finally got that sucker adjusted. It is going to be a great weekend. Already my wife has threatened to leave me if I watch one more Classic Rock documentary. My connection with current First World culture, which as of the beginning of the week was almost completely severed is beginning to grow strong again.

Rocky, Hillbilly, Chris, AZB, Robert, Pib, Anna, Bush Baby, AdrianB and any of my friends I forgot to mention: I am not a sports fan at all, but if any of you are and there is some game you are just dying to catch send me a PM or call me and come on over. (I may require that you bring refreshmnents depending on how I am stocked at the moment) I don't get Pay-per View so no UFC.

If I get really bored with the game I will wander upstairs to my new grill and grill you all some of my new low-carb hotwing recipe.
    So, now -- why don't you set a date, make a 'refreshments and food list' for each of us to bring, and invite us all for an afternoon of barbecuing and getting in touch with the first world via DirectTV? I'll watch some classic rock with ya!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great idea. Let me figure out the best day for this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast