Favourite Dominican Things!

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
I was just wonderin, what is your favourite things about the DR. It can be anything from the food to whatever. For me I think I would say the people, I also would just say its a beautiful country in general. What do you think? ;)
Naomi xx

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
People aside, since there are all types

Food: Tostones, sancocho, avocado, bananas all year long, Longaniza frita (fre?da), mangos, guayava, chivo guisado y picante!, and much more...

Beautiful places: Saman?, the mountains to the north and south of Santiago,
Punta Rucia, Playa Grande

The climate when it is raining and you can smell it...breezes

Things: Good phone service and computer access. Here in Santiago good water service. Good hardware store for 99.7% of whatever I want.

Odd things: Flocks of parrots in the trees, looking for mangos to eat. Cattle egrets in a tree at evening time. Tobacco barns at harvest time....

Weird, huh??

HB :D:D

bienvenido

Sep 5, 2004
Favorite Dominican Things

The foods, the state of relaxation that give you the fact that you can walk the street and public places with a drink in your hand, the beautiful beaches , river spas and the fact that you can get people to do errands and even cook and take care of your house maintenance for 100 dollars a month.

Last edited:

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
bienvenido said:
The foods, and the state of relaxation that give you the fact that you can walk the street and public places with a drink in your hand.

Yeah, I like the relaxation there as well. Everything is so laid back-the dominican pace of life! :classic:

El Maestro 23

Sep 23, 2004
Places

britishgirl said:
Yeah, I like the relaxation there as well. Everything is so laid back-the dominican pace of life! :classic:

:bandit: It's just a good place to go and relax, i came to live to the states (ny) and it's jus too stressing. One thing is to be lazy and another is to dont want to die working. I love my country but after living in the states i'm grabbed by bills and other financials ties. I moved to FLA to try and get the similar weather but most of all to be able to go more frequently. Over there you can just get out of work and go to the corner and buy some "FRIAS" and drink it with your friends. Here it's illigal to even hold alcohol (open bottles0 on the street. So you can take it from there. Love the natural Beaches. It's a slow paced country. you can stop smell the Coffee and talk to people without getting run over by someone who is late for work.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
You can drive down a country road and stop anywhere to take a break. 99.9% of the Dominican people would happily invite you into their home. This is what I love about this country other then the beautiful countryside.

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
DominicanScotty said:
You can drive down a country road and stop anywhere to take a break. 99.9% of the Dominican people would happily invite you into their home. This is what I love about this country other then the beautiful countryside.
Yeah that proves how nice the dominican people are!!!

OttawaTom

Dec 15, 2002
Santiago Water?

Hillbilly:

When you say good water service, do you mean water from the tap is potable? Just wondering...

Tom

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
I love the country side, "el Cibao", whenever i'm in DR i always go down to stay for a couple of days with my family that lives there.

*What i like is being able to get up in the morning and right from your bed being able to see coconut trees.
*Smelling fresh coffe (even though i dont drink) and getting up to find breakfast done.
*Going to sleep while the rain is beating down on your "sin".
*Being able to afford a maid.
*Buying a "saco" of oranges and having freshly squeezed orange juice.
*Being able to walk to "el rio" from your house.
*Catching some fish from "La presa" the dam in Atillo and cooking them over calvon in my aunts house in Maimon.
*Going out to your backyard and picking platanos, yautia to cook for dinner.
*Going to your backyard and picking out eggs or a chicken to cook like my grandma does.
*Passing by a town and seeing how some people still live with dirt floors and no running water, but to see the children still smiling and playing without a care in the world.......it's a very humbling expirience.
*Going out dancing or being able to send your cousin who's 11 to get you a beer in the "colmado" ;)
*Getting together and telling stories at funerals.
*Being able to ride in the back of a pick up on our way to the beach and having a tan by the time i get to the beach.
Going swimming in Bonao....in "Fula" while cooking some chivo right on the side of the river with rice and viandas....hmmmmm!
*Picking sweet lemons from the side of the road.
*Relaxing on Sunday afternoons in my house en la capital.

Just the drive from "la capital" to "el Cibao" is relaxing.
I JUST LOVE THE FEELING OF PEACE I GET WHEN I GO DOWN THERE!

Did i mention having a maid! ;)

Ok am getting nostalgic :cry: so i'll stop here..........but the list can go on and on. Its the little things we can't expirience here in the states, because we either dont have them or do not have the time to enjoy them.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
JANET/NJ said:
I love the country side, "el Cibao", whenever i'm in DR i always go down to stay for a couple of days with my family that lives there.

*What i like is being able to get up in the morning and right from your bed being able to see coconut trees.
*Smelling fresh coffe (even though i dont drink) and getting up to find breakfast done.
*Catching some fish from "La presa" the dam in Atillo and cooking them over calvon in my aunts house in Maimon.
*Going to your backyard and picking out eggs or a chicken to cook like my grandma does.
*Passing by a town and seeing how some people still live with dirt floors and no running water, but to see the children still smiling and playing without a care in the world.......it's a very humbling expirience.
*Going out dancing or being able to send your cousin who's 11 to get you a beer in the "colmado" ;)
*Being able to ride in the back of a pick up on our way to the beach and having a tan by the time i get to the beach.
Going swimming in Bonao....in "Fula" while cooking some chivo right on the side of the river with rice and viandas....hmmmmm!

Ok am getting nostalgic :cry: so i'll stop here..........but the list can go on and on. Its the little things we can't expirience here in the states, because we either dont have them or do not have the time to enjoy them.

Mouthwatering piece of posting: hmmmm chivo, fresh fish, ....

I can't get enough of the breathtaking panoramas when driving from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata or from Cabarete to Sanchez. It's so much more beautiful than the 'Low Countries' here, which you can take very literally.
Bartolomeo

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
JANET/NJ said:

You making it sound lovely!!!

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
Britishgirl...

I don't think i make it sound lovely, it's just that this is the way i see and expirience DR when i go down there. I've been visiting DR since i was a little girl and i have yet to go to a resort........i havent had a need to because i find going to a public beach much more interesting then being secluded in one specific area.

When i go down to DR i savor every moment of it..........things that someone might pass by everyday and not care for, i will look at and study it in detail. After breaking my *** here going to school and working i make sure i get plenty of tranquil moments and also exciting ones.

To me it's the little things that count. ;)

dreamin

Jul 25, 2004
Coconut Palms!

Love seeing the many different palms but coconut are my favourite. I love talking to the locals, the people are so friendly. As you drive by houses in the country, people and children wave. Heck, we even had one little girl bend over and moon us gringo's.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Janet, love the 11 year old to the colmado, that is so true. Who wants to get up from a round of dominos to get more beer anyways?

That ride from the Capital to Santiago is beautiful, except of course if its done at night, then those motos with no lights make it nerve racking.

Hillbilly, I thought I was the only person that loved that smell after it rains.

As for me, I love stepping off the plane and finally realizing you're back! I love chimis from the "right" spot. Having a beer and listening to music en "El Malecon."
Actually come to think of it, a beer anywhere is pretty enjoyable. I remember driving from Jimani to Santo Domingo a few months back and we stopped at colmados all throughout the route whenever our beer finished.

How about chicharron from the roadside in San Francisco?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
- A nice plate of Moro De Guandules con Chivo guisado (picantico)
- Morir sonando
- The green scenery / mountains all around the Cibao and Samana
- The feeling of freedom you get when you step down from the airplane and you know you're in The DR, where you don't have to constantly watch what speed you're driving, etc...
- The fact that even in a small town like Cotui I can go out at 4:00 AM and still find bars and places to eat open
- Chimichurries
- New years eve and everyone spilling onto the streets to wish happy new year to everyone when the "Canonazo" hits...and then is party till next day
- Getting your car washed (detailed) while you put down a few cold presidentes
- Eating fruit that you just got right from the tree (Organges, mangoes, guavas, etc)
- The helpfulness of the people (i.e. your car breaks down and needs pushing, before you know it there are a bunch of strangers helping you push it...without you even asking)