Public Beaches

mckillop

Jul 28, 2004
Are all the beaches in the DR open to the public including those around or in front of hotels? ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Absolutely!

It is the law.

From median tide line to 60 meters inland is public property.
Some hotels try to limit access to their beaches to keep out scruffy people, but normally, they will not hassle normal looking folks.

HB

wayne

Dec 25, 2003
try to walk down the beach at Sea Horse Ranch and see how far you get. I guess when you have money anything that is public can be made private very easily.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If I can/t walk down the beach at Sea Horse Ranch they will have a battle on their ha

And they can kiss my HB A$$ and they know it!.

No beaches in the DR are private, period!

The trick is the access to that beach. They can and do make it tough, but if you can walk on the beach, say, from another adjoining beach, there is nothing they can do. Believe me, they know this...

HB

bienvenido

Sep 5, 2004
where is Sea Horse Ranch located?

Can you please tell me where is Sea Horse Ranch located? Thanks

bienvenido

Sep 5, 2004
Defien Median Tide Line?

I would like to know how do you know where is the median tide line when you measuring the 60 mts public beaches in DR

bienvenido

Sep 5, 2004
Do you know what countries has private beaches?

I though all beaches are open to the public every where

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hillbilly said:

The trick is the access to that beach. They can and do make it tough, but if you can walk on the beach, say, from another adjoining beach, there is nothing they can do. Believe me, they know this...

HB

Although I know and really like and respect the owners of Sea Horse Ranch, and can go in through the front gate quite normally, they have big fellows with big guns to 'protect their area' of the beach. I daresay if you walked down there HB, they might have a battle on their hands, but you will also have a battle on your hands. Trying to talk the "big'uns" into letting you continue your walk down the beach, is like talking to stones..... And I daresay I look like a 'normal' person - not a troublemaker.

This is the reality - not the legality...

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Chris said:
Although I know and really like and respect the owners of Sea Horse Ranch, and can go in through the front gate quite normally, they have big fellows with big guns to 'protect their area' of the beach. I daresay if you walked down there HB, they might have a battle on their hands, but you will also have a battle on your hands. Trying to talk the "big'uns" into letting you continue your walk down the beach, is like talking to stones..... And I daresay I look like a 'normal' person - not a troublemaker.

Hillbilly, I'll be down for a month starting November 14th, I'll come with you!!

Joe

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Chris said:

Chris.
You should therefor also know that he owner of Sea Horse Ranch would not jeapodise his "Other" position by breaking the law of the country!! IF I were ever to walk the beaches of Sea Horse Ranch (most unlikely because I don't like gated communities) & the "big'uns" tried to pull me off, I would suggest (with a smile & good humour of course) they go get the owner so that we could discuss the matter! I am SURE they would not do so as they know what the end outcome would be!!

HB is absolutely right (of course), stand firm & pleasantly quote the law, then ask to see the owner so the matter can be resolved without police & consequent media intervention! They will quickly see your point & face will not be lost! ~ Grahame.

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
I think all countries have to let the public on all beaches. At least that is the law in the U.S.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
That is the law in the Dominican Republic until it is changed. The hotels can only restrict the access. But technically and legally, if you arrive by sea, you are in your right to be there, as that 60 meters strip is public.

I recall the time when Oscar de la Renta ordered my family off "his" beach in Punta Cana. We had kayaked over from Club Med. We said we were not leaving, explaining that beaches were public in the DR, and he told the watchman to let us be.

Hillbilly himself respects this law. He has a house right on Punta Rucia beach and is in peace with others who want to share the beach.

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
All beaches are open unless...

There is a private beach in Sosua called "the generals beach". Nowadays you?ll only reach it by Sea ( for example swimming). There?s also a road, that leads to it but it says "No entrance".
I remember quite well, about two years ago we swam there to walk around ?n the beach, as we did everyday. But this time, just after two helicopters had landed, three young guys, certainly below twenty years came to us , two of them carrying rifles, saying that this was a Military Zone and we should leave.
Since they looked dumb enough to shoot us right away if we weren?t willing to leave, we did respect the order.
Should we have stayed there and argued about the 60 meter zone?

We would probably have made a line in the DR1 news and died like martyrs.

I swim and walk there again daily, but I?ll certainly respect any bully who has orders from some high rank idiot, if he decides to bend the law for a day or two.

Btw, the Sea Horse Ranch has a beach? This is an honest question, since I only saw rocks there. Please correct me if I?m wrong.

Hillbilly said:

HB

I will be down October 17th thru November 3rd Lets go and have them kiss our 2 large a$$es, I got your back Hillbilly!
Badpiece

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Really!!!!!!!!!!

jerryme said:
I think all countries have to let the public on all beaches. At least that is the law in the U.S.

Try and get on a beach in the Hamptons, Long Island, New York.

They are residents only beaches and you need a permit to access them.

I have a residence in Southampton Town and am allowed access to about 3 beaches only.

Whilst you can physically walk along the beach to gain access you will get a ticket/fine if you don't have a valid permit.

Land of the free huh??????????

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
badpiece33 said:
I will be down October 17th thru November 3rd Lets go and have them kiss our 2 large a$$es, I got your back Hillbilly!
Badpiece
Badpiece, I don't think you & Hillbilly would have a problem getting to Sea Horse Ranch beach........you're both gringos. They'd probably mistake you for potential purchasers! I just wonder if Dominicans can access it?

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Law 305 of 1968 states the following:

"Art. 49.- Est? sujeta a la navegaci?n mar?tima, as? como a cualquier otro uso p?blico que fijen los reglamentos del Poder Ejecutivo, la faja de terreno denominada Zona Mar?tima, o sea la que se halla paralela al mar, de sesenta metros de ancho, medidos desde la l?nea a que asciende la pleamar ordinaria hacia la tierra y que abarca, salvo los derechos de propiedad que al presente existan, todas las costas y playas del territorio dominicano. Dicha zona comprende los r?os y corrientes, lagunas y lagos navegables o flotables hasta donde se encuentren bajo la acci?n de las mareas. La zona mar?tima forma parte del dominio p?blico, as? como tambi?n la zona de las mareas, o sea la porci?n de tierra que se halla entre la l?nea de pleamar y la bajamar."

?Art. 49.- It will be subject to maritime navigation, as well as to any other public use established by Executive regulation, the strip of land called the ?Maritime Zone,? meaning that which is parallel to the sea, 60 meters wide, measured from the line reached by the normal high tide inland, and comprising, except for those property rights in existence, all the Dominican coast and beaches. Said zone comprises rivers and currents, navigable lagoons and lakes up to the line where they are affected by the tides. The maritime zone is part of the public domain, as well as the zone of the tides, that is, the portion of land found between the high water and low water marks.?

It is interesting to note that the original provision establishing a Maritime Zone was enacted in 1920 by Vice-Admiral Thomas Snowden, Military Governor during the American occupation of 1916 to 1924. The width was originally 5 meters but it has been changed over the years reaching the present 60 meters in 1968.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
gerd said:
There is a private beach in Sosua called "the generals beach". Nowadays you?ll only reach it by Sea ( for example swimming). There?s also a road, that leads to it but it says "No entrance".
I remember quite well, about two years ago we swam there to walk around ?n the beach, as we did everyday. But this time, just after two helicopters had landed, three young guys, certainly below twenty years came to us , two of them carrying rifles, saying that this was a Military Zone and we should leave.
Since they looked dumb enough to shoot us right away if we weren?t willing to leave, we did respect the order.
Should we have stayed there and argued about the 60 meter zone?
You made the right choice.
General Imbert is the last surviving member of the infamous 6 who were responsible for the end of Trujillo's dictatorship.
Arguing the legality of your position would have been very unwise.

BTW: Cuba allows hotels to have private beaches. I'm sure this comes as no surprise to anybody, as it is a communist regime run by a dictator.