Road conditions after Jeanne

breeze

Sep 25, 2004
We have four couples arriving the first week in November. We plan to rent a van and drive from STI to Cabarete. How are the road conditions? Also, how are the conditions in Cabarete? Will things be back to normal by then?

Our flight arrives at 2:00 pm so we should be on the road by 4:00. Will we make hour?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Have you driven in the DR before? The roads are not much worse than before but are generally in a poor shape. You have to have nerves of steel to drive here. Potholes, areas of the roads washed away and so on. But most of us who live here kinda get used to it.

If you're not used to it, go very carefully... and whatever you do, do not drive at night if you do not know the roads.

Santiago to Cabarete is fine to drive, in fact, I'm going that way today and came that way just a few days ago. Just be very careful and take the tunnel road to Puerto Plata, then Sosua and then Cabarete, not the mountain road that comes out between Puerto Plata and Sosua (unless you know this road, and local driving conditions very well). I've not driven the Santiago - Moca - Sabaneta - Cabarete recently but this road used to be the best condition and a beautiful drive.

The real question is if you are used to driving in the DR? If not, get a driver to drive your van for you - much less wear and tear on your nervous system ;) .

Cabarete seems to be fine mostly and I believe some of the last areas without power got power back last night.