Ex-pats define

bienvenido

Sep 5, 2004
Can anyone define what is ex-pats? Please elaborate every aspect of them if you can. Why do they come to RD? Thanks for the education.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
some of them come for the sailing
lured by the call of the sea
some of them come to find what's ailing
living in the land of the free

some of the them are running from lovers
leaving no forward address
some of them are running tons of ghanga
some are running from the IRS

All kinds of reasons

(credit of course to Jimmy Buffet)

Last edited:

Festero

Dec 15, 2002
"Ex-Pat" =

It's from the word Expatriate. Expat is the common abbreviated usage.

From MW online:

Main Entry: 1ex?pa?tri?ate
Pronunciation: ek-'spA-trE-"At
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): -at?ed; -at?ing
Etymology: Medieval Latin expatriatus, past participle of expatriare to leave one's own country, from Latin ex- + patria native country, from feminine of patrius of a father, from patr-, pater father -- more at FATHER
transitive senses
1 : to withdraw (oneself) from residence in or allegiance to one's native country
2 : BANISH, EXILE
intransitive senses : to leave one's native country to live elsewhere; also : to renounce allegiance to one's native country

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Just a fancy term,,,,,,

bienvenido said:
Can anyone define what is ex-pats? Please elaborate every aspect of them if you can. Why do they come to RD? Thanks for the education.
generally used by anglo-americans to denote their status in a foreign land instead of the more accurate: INMIGRANT.- It's like calling yourself a "Road sanitation technician" rather than what it is: a street sweeper. If you were "humility challenged", which term would you use?

Festero

Dec 15, 2002
Don Juan said:
generally used by anglo-americans to denote their status in a foreign land instead of the more accurate: INMIGRANT.- It's like calling yourself a "Road sanitation technician" rather than what it is: a street sweeper. If you were "humility challenged", which term would you use?

No clue what your point is here.

My further curiosity about the word beyond the basic definition as it is used regularly in the DR and on DR1 led me to Ask Jeeves.

A little snippet gleaned from there:

"The literal definition of the term "expatriate" or "expat", could mean someone that is giving up their residence or citizenship. Often, because people are doing so for tax benefits, the term "tax exile" is used in conjunction with this terminology. In truth, we can really say that the term "expatriate" is synonymous with "immigrant", although we are talking about a new form of immigration. Some people will say that leaving one's country is unpatriotic. In reality, it is no less so than what your grand-parents or great grand-parents had done before you. They moved on to someplace that made sense. Someplace with less government interference, someplace where they could find better financial or economic opportunities.

Why Do People Become "Expatriates" ?

There are many reasons, but the majority center around taxes and displeasure with government policies or mismanagement. A large number of people, not just the wealthy - but what can be called the average middle-class, are disenchanted with high income taxes, property taxes, estate taxes, increased government interefence and "monitoring" of their lives, ineffective government and legal systems, and a host of other issues."

- end

There is much more written in the description I found, but this seems to do a good job of explaining the word in the context of the discussion.

bienvenido

Sep 5, 2004
Ex-pat define II

Thanks for all the responses to my inquiry regarding the term exp-pats. Nevertheless, I still believe that ex-pats is not a synonym of immigrant, as some had defined it. He or she could be someone who decided to immigrate and can?t go back for personal reasons. Now they are here for a particular reason. What is it? Mangu, Merengue, women, cost of living or because is easier to get away with murder in DR? Thanks.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I think the term "ex-pat" is more focused on the idea of being a foreigner in general, disregarding the country one ends up in. It's people who for whatever reason, wanderlust, adventure seeking, (or UBH hunting) leave their home country to go somewhere elese, ANYWHERE else.

Immigrant would be a term used mostly by residents of the country the ex-pat in question ends up, to the ex-pat it doesn't matter so much whether it's the DR or East Pongo-pongo, he'd be a foreigner in either place - and as many of us know formal immigration is often an optional detail.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
bienvenido said:
Thanks for all the responses to my inquiry regarding the term exp-pats. Nevertheless, I still believe that ex-pats is not a synonym of immigrant, as some had defined it. He or she could be someone who decided to immigrate and can?t go back for personal reasons. Now they are here for a particular reason. What is it? Mangu, Merengue, women, cost of living or because is easier to get away with murder in DR? Thanks.

Definately the mangu and bachata.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
an immigrant is somebody who seeks to start a life in a new country.

an ex-pat is somebody who temporarily or for the long term lives in another country. I think this term applies more to people who are in the country on 'work permit' type status.

IMO anyway

you can be both but not necessarily.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Expat,inmigrant, alien. Who cares!

If it pleases you to label yourselves Saxophones, well, more power to you! But the truth of the matter here is that if you choose, for whatever reason, regarless of your economic status, to take up residency in a country other than your own, then you're an inmigrant........Don't matter if you're a yank, Canuck or Euro, you are no different than the Haitian who comes to DR for other reasons......But once again, who cares! "A rose by any other name smells just as sweet". Okay?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My US Dollars go a long way here!

And,there are a lot of young ladies that will have sex with an "OLDER" man for 400 pesops!!! Nuf Said?

Plus,you get "10 Points",just for having "White" skin!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Criss Colon said:
And,there are a lot of young ladies that will have sex with an "OLDER" man for 400 pesops!!! Nuf Said?

Plus,you get "10 Points",just for having "White" skin!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

and 50 points for green money