Tipping in Hotels

UKJERRY

Sep 6, 2004
Can anyone advise me of the best way to tip the staff in the Hotels in the DR? I have read of people leaving make-up etc for the maids, but is this how they would like to be tipped? is it better to simply leave a tip in pesos/dollars or are certain things hard to buy in the DR?
I would not wish to belittle or offend any member of staff by assuming that it is better to tip in nail varnish!
Many thanks....

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Leave Money As A Tip!!

We have had this debate on the board about leaving gifts before.
But really you should leave money as a tip!! I always make sure to have a lot some smaller bills (american) so I can tip with!

UKJERRY said:
Can anyone advise me of the best way to tip the staff in the Hotels in the DR? I have read of people leaving make-up etc for the maids, but is this how they would like to be tipped? is it better to simply leave a tip in pesos/dollars or are certain things hard to buy in the DR?
I would not wish to belittle or offend any member of staff by assuming that it is better to tip in nail varnish!
Many thanks....

UKJERRY

Sep 6, 2004
Tipping

Music said:
We have had this debate on the board about leaving gifts before.
But really you should leave money as a tip!! I always make sure to have a lot some smaller bills (american) so I can tip with!

Thanks for your reply, I have searched back though many pages and found the answers!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I generaly leave a few hundred pesos when i leave for the maids. I have been told this is being generous for a 10 day stay...i just never feel i leave enough. I guess its good since most of the guests are either euro or canadian....and lord knows they are bad tippers (hate to say it...but i was a waiter for YEARS....no offence to my bad tipping euro's and canadians :)

I DO however brings lots of other things to give to people when i am there. I bring NYPD t-shirts and yankees or red sox caps and some football clothing as well....stuff people can not find there as well as some good blue jeans....oh...and fresh designer underwear. But there are more things for some of my more unfortunate friends there.....I dont think i would feel right giving a maid trinkets. perhaps trinkets WITH a nice tip. Last trip i gave named NYC keychain to my favorite motoconcho.....as well as a tip. It was my way of letting him know that i think of him when I am still in nyc.

So personalized gifts are cool.....but i think money is preferred (unless u stay at the same place over time and can personalize gifts).

just my 3 pesos

jj

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Instead of leaving the tips in the room when you are leaving, I think it's better to leave a small tip fks. 20 pesos on the pillow every morning. In that case you also know that it's the maid that acktually clean your room that's getting the money.

charlie_ocs

Sep 24, 2004
I will be coming out to the DR on the 9th of October to an All Incusive hotel in La Romana, I am also curious about tipping the hotel staff so this thread has been useful.

However, having never been on all inclusive holiday before - we are unsure if we should be tipping the waiters etc at the end of a meal.

Also, coming from Scotland - we have just bought all of our currency in US Dollars as we'd read on another website that these are widely used and also the shops etc in the hotel complex have everything priced in US dollars.

Should I perhaps get some DR Pesos aswell??

Any help would be much appreciated.

Charlie
x :nervous:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
jrzyguy said:
I generaly leave a few hundred pesos when i leave for the maids. I have been told this is being generous for a 10 day stay..

just my 3 pesos

jj

A "few" hundred (100-300?) in total when you leave after 10 days or 100 a day when you leave for the day?

I have to say 10-30 pesos a day is really really inadequate if you mean the former. That is a tip of 17-51 cents a day on a room of what $40 plus taxes? 50-100 a day is reasonable - $1-$2 a day is North American hotels is the same and they are as horribly paid relative to the cost of living as Dominican maids are.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
charlie_ocs said:
However, having never been on all inclusive holiday before - we are unsure if we should be tipping the waiters etc at the end of a meal.

Also, coming from Scotland - we have just bought all of our currency in US Dollars as we'd read on another website that these are widely used and also the shops etc in the hotel complex have everything priced in US dollars.

Should I perhaps get some DR Pesos aswell??

Question 1: YES, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes
Question 2: Yes, just don't overdo it and change US to RD$ outside the hotel if you can as they are famous for clipping guests with lousy rates.

Unasked Qustion 3: Tip the maids too and more than peanuts. $1-$2 a day or the equivalent in pesos.

charlie_ocs

Sep 24, 2004
Question 1: YES, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes
Question 2: Yes, just don't overdo it and change US to RD$ outside the hotel if you can as they are famous for clipping guests with lousy rates.

Unasked Qustion 3: Tip the maids too and more than peanuts. $1-$2 a day or the equivalent in pesos.

Thank you for the advice.

This may sound like a silly question but like I said, since we are coming from Scotland (and have never been even to America) I am unsure of what is a reasonable tip for waiters after a meal??

Normally in the UK the standard tip would be 10% of the bill but with it being all inclusive obviously we won't be getting a bill?! And we don't want to appear stingy!

Also, for the maids - is $2 a day reasonable?

I have absolutely no idea the value of the dollar - I've only ever been to countries which use the Euro!!

Again, thanks for your help!

Cx :eek:

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
charlie_ocs said:
Normally in the UK the standard tip would be 10% of the bill but with it being all inclusive obviously we won't be getting a bill?! And we don't want to appear stingy!

Also, for the maids - is $2 a day reasonable?

I have absolutely no idea the value of the dollar - I've only ever been to countries which use the Euro!!

Again, thanks for your help!

Cx :eek:

Well in North America it is 15% of the bill, and in some DR non AI restaurants they put 10% on as service, however I doubt the service people see dime one of that. You will make a waiter happy if you give them say RD$100 for a meal for four people at your AI, and GIVE it to them in the hand not on the table. If you eat out tip 10-15% of the bill and do the same.

US$2 a day or around RD$100 (well it used to be now it is like RD$70) to the maid, in her hand or obviously in the middle of the unmade bed so she knows it isn't left behind by mistake is good.

Figure for a week you might lay out for a couple, $14 US to the maid and maybe $60 for meals, relative to what you have, earn and paid it is nothing and means so much to really really poor and poorly paid people.

And my personal opinion, not shared by all is that gifts of stuff (makeup, clothes, etc.) for maids in particular is as much an insult as a tip and cash eliminates that concern.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I agree with rick.....and i like the idea of tipping the maids in person daily.

Straying off topic a bit...i would like to remind euro's and canadians that tipping in the US is 15% for minimal service.....17% is nice...and 20% for very good service. Wait staff in the US only make $2.50 an hour...and have to report their tips and are taxed by the IRS. (therefore the "wage" goes directly to taxes...and tips are what they live on). Ok...enough of that.

I will still bring "gifts" for my friends....but will continue giving cash to the staff.

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
100 Pesos per day, always cash

we leave 100 pesos per day for the maid. like to fold it in a slip of paper with GRACIAS written largely and clearly. they are reluctant to take money that is just sitting out. hand it to them directly if you get the chance.

leave the money daily. as Rick has pointed out in other posts, maids may have different days of work and may not receive their due if you tip all at once at the end (what we used to do...).

we never leave "gifts" other than pesos.

pesos are easier for them to handle the changing over US or other currencies.

also, at hotels or restaurants when we are putting the meal on a tab or a credit card, i leave the tip at zero. i then pay the tip in pesos directly to the waiter. most hotels and restaurants take a large cut of the tip, especially if it is included in a room bill or credit card. the cash tip makes sure.

i have noticed some surprise from hotel restaurant staff when i do this. then their eyes light up as they realize what i am doing. it is appreciated very much.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Tipping when you eat out

As many of us have advised: get out of the hotel and eat in a local restaurant whenever you can.

For tipping there be advised that many restaurants add a 10% tip to your bill. Check first but then hand an additional tip to your server!

charlie_ocs

Sep 24, 2004
Thank You

Thanks for all your help guys - it's much appreciated. I feel completely "clued" up on the whole tipping situation.

;) :p Charlie x

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
charlie_ocs said:
Thanks for all your help guys - it's much appreciated. I feel completely "clued" up on the whole tipping situation.

;) :p Charlie x

Next trip Charlie brave the elements and get out of the AI resorts altogether and stay in a small hotel and commune with the natives. It is many times more real a trip than the hygiene of an AI and your neighbors who you of course can see at home without paying to fly somewhere.

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
Give a few bucks

My first comment EVER on tipping

Being an American who has lived in Australia, Germany,Croatia, Bosnia, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Columbia and God only knows where else, I have a simple rule; 3-4 USD per day for maid (More if special service requested) 15-20% to bar and wait staff, 3-5USD per bag to porters

It really won't break any of us that can afford a Carribbean vacation and will certainly make life easier for those less fortunate

A>

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
greg is right on the spot while NOT tipping on credit cards!!!

Again...slightly off topic...but just a good "tip" to those in the U.S. If you tip on a credit card the waiter is taxed on the full amount of the gratuity.....if you zero it out on the credit card and give the waiter cash he his taxed on 8% of the sale. It is a nice way to make sure that the waiter is compensated...and the govt doenst take it all.

Oh...and also realize that in most restaurants and bars the waiter shares a percentage with the bartenders/bussers/food runners etc.

I am not beating up on the euros and canadians who travel to the US...but just asking you to THINK about something....if you only leave a 10% tip...and the waiter only keeps 70% of that...but is taxed 100% of 8%...then he's actualy losing money.

Sorry i have digressed....but having worked for over 15 years in the business (no longer tho)...the tipping thing is still quite an issue for me.

well..i guess what i want to say to EVERYONE...is to be clear of this custom before you travel anywhere....and just because you are a tourist do not feel that you are justified tipping what is customary in your country. I feel many tourists are AWARE of the customs of other countries....but simply just ignore it if it means an extra 7% (ie,10 % vs 17%). Trust me...those few dollars mean a LOT to a waiter.

Ok...i will get off my pulpit now.

peace
jj