Salary Question?

Dominicana_NJ

Feb 22, 2003
Just out of curiosity.......Seeing how difficult the econmy in D.R. is right now, what would be and average starting salary or pay rate be for someone, entry level moving to D.R. from the U.S. with a college degree and a considerable amount of experiance about 3 yrs. worth, doing mostly customer service. I'm thinking about making the move and I want to know what type of pay I can expect. Anyone that can help me out with some rough numbers would be of great help to me....Thanks in advance!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
RD$15-25,000 (US$400-650) monthly.

Providing you are fully bilingual. You have a lot of competition in this area as many companies offer outsourced customer services here.

To earn US$1,000 plus monthly you need to be exceptional with years of experience!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
customer service???

Robert said:

Providing you are fully bilingual. You have a lot of competition in this area as many companies offer outsourced customer services here.

To earn US$1,000 plus monthly you need to be exceptional with years of experience!

Correct but what kind of customer service?? this is a large area

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
What is the starting rate..

Robert said:

Working in Customer Service for Codetel or any popular phone companies out there if you have +5 years experience and is bilingual??

Dominicana_NJ

Feb 22, 2003
Thank you!!

Robert said:

Thank you very much Robert that's exactky what I needed to know.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
bienamor said:
Correct but what kind of customer service?? this is a large area

I have come across people that offer tech support, phone call assistance and even live translation services and none have come close to earning US$1,000 monthly.

This is what I was told Verizon was paying a few months ago to do their customer support.

Excellent language skills with no accent : RD$55-60/hr
With Latin accent: RD$39/hr
Training: RD$19.5/hr

Even if your good, your looking at US$1.60hr.

Unless you are in a very niche market, you are wasting your timing coming here looking for work in the customer service area.

It only makes sense if you own a business and want to lower your overheads by paying peanuts.

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Robert I wish I would have received that kind of advice before moving down to DR only to move back to the US after like 3 month. I considered it a long vacation.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
principe said:
Robert I wish I would have received that kind of advice before moving down to DR only to move back to the US after like 3 month. I considered it a long vacation.

If you had reached you would have found the same kind of answers. You also will find that people argue back and don't believe what expats post about salaries and jobs in the DR.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Robert said:
I have come across people that offer tech support, phone call assistance and even live translation services and none have come close to earning US$1,000 monthly.

DO NOT WORK IN DR!

English to Spanish and vice versa are a cheap language combination. Still if you have certain expertise in certain areas, legal, finance for instance, you should be able to earn quite good money. I would say 0.10 USD per source word is not impossible.You can perform about 2500 words a day when you get used to the key board. All this over the Internet, does not matter where you are situated... Forget employment in DR.

If you are skilled in another, more expensive language, you can make much more money.

Good luck!

I

El Maestro 23

Sep 23, 2004
$$$

Robert said:

How about someone with NETWORK Admin exp., Degree and IT CERTifications ( A+,LINUX+, CCNA, SECURITY+).

Are there companies paying in Dols or even if they are foregrs company they pay in Pesos >???

EM23 :bandit:

wushu22

Nov 9, 2004
hmmm, must be lucky

I just came back from visiting a friend down in Santo Domingo, and he makes between 10,000 and 15,000 pesos a week, and gets his apartment and utilities taken care of. He doesn't even have a college education. There have got to be other jobs in Santo Domingo like his for intelligent english speakers.

jon1981

Apr 22, 2004
I need a job

For what company does your friend work for?

wushu22 said:
I just came back from visiting a friend down in Santo Domingo, and he makes between 10,000 and 15,000 pesos a week, and gets his apartment and utilities taken care of. He doesn't even have a college education. There have got to be other jobs in Santo Domingo like his for intelligent english speakers.

eucalyptus

Jan 14, 2005
DR Mpe said:
Robert said:
If you are skilled in another, more expensive language, you can make much more money.

Good luck!

I

you think chinese is one of these expensive languages? any recomendations? maybe purchasing for one of the larger companies? or easier if i just put up my own business?

veronica

Jan 31, 2005
my DOminican sources might be wrong after all?? i was told that with a BBA and no expereince but with good Spanish one can make US $2,000 a month in DR...

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
veronica said:
my DOminican sources might be wrong after all?? i was told that with a BBA and no expereince but with good Spanish one can make US $2,000 a month in DR...
Told by whom, and for what kind of work?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
The only "jobs" I have been offered promeising over $1000.oo (much over actually) a month were comission based sales jobs.
You may get lucky and run a big hotel based on your managing skills and languages and make that kind of money, but getting lucky is not exactly a career, now is it?

... J-D.