International movers info to DR, Help Please.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
So were finally ready to leave NY this week and our Dominican "Friend" tells us that his company can move us down, for $8,000USD, someone else told us he charged 3K for a whole houseload. We don't have alot maybe 1/2 a container I can stack it to 10x10x10 with room to spare.

If anyone can recommend a mover or shipper to use for a N.Y. to S.D.move, please let me know ASAP. We have a couple of calls out but were leaving in 3 days, and would greatly appreciate a little guidance.

bienvenido

Sep 5, 2004
moving to US

There are thousand of moving company in NY the will ship your stuff base on shipping weight. Check out all the Dominicsn moving company of NY they have all different prices and will deliver door to door. You have to take care o that over there. I wont recommend you to do it yourself, otherwise , you will have to pay customs fee to get your stuff out. If you retiring and you are a dominican you exempt from import taxes on your household goods.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Thanks, we're in the process of trying to get some quotes, no one's gotten back to us yet and we have to decide today, weve got to be out by thursday. I may just bite the bullet and pay the $8,700US, but it just seems like too much. Maybe not, Am I just being Cheap? is this what it cost? I just don't want to get that ripped off before I even get to town.

Our shipper waited to give us this estimate until 2 days before the move, he had our info weeks ago, and kept stalling about the cost figure. Whatcha think?

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Thanks for the help, armed with your info I found a 20' container for 4,200 way better than 8,700.