General Safety for Travelers

sdivito

Aug 23, 2004
I am scheduled to fly intot the Northern Coast on Saturday and have been hearing about looting, poor electricity, tourists getting robbed etc.... Although I am still inclined to not let that interfere with my plans (as I have already had to change them once due to the weather) can anyone tell me how things look there at the moment and would you caution or advise me.

Thanks in advance. :cross-eye

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
sdivito said:
I am scheduled to fly intot the Northern Coast on Saturday and have been hearing about looting, poor electricity, tourists getting robbed etc.... Although I am still inclined to not let that interfere with my plans (as I have already had to change them once due to the weather) can anyone tell me how things look there at the moment and would you caution or advise me.

Thanks in advance. :cross-eye

The 'RISK' factor of robberies, looting, electricity outages all depend on where you are staying! In Cabarete there is only a little crime, Sosua perhaps a bit more, Puerto Plata VERY little & in Playa Dorada it is almost unheard of!! Power outages in All-inclusive hotels are non exisitent as they ALL have their own backup generators!!

Living in Puerto Plata I experience the power outages but have NOT heard of the looting, personal crimes & the Doom & Gloom reports that you have obviously heard of. Maybe the person (personS) that told you had some ulterior motive to give bad reviews - I don't know, but I WILL tell you that they are all greatly exaggerated. As Badpiece advises, be aware, be careful & you will have a GREAT holiday. Report back to us on this AFTER your holiday please!! ~ Grahame.

sdivito

Aug 23, 2004
I am in fact still planning on coming to DR and want to thank both of you who have commented thus far.

Im a city girl in dire need of exhaling.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
sdivito said:

Im a city girl in dire need of exhaling.

In which case you had better get a strong 'Anti-sankie' injection or similar admisistered before you get here!!! The sankies will certainly help you "exhale". ~ Grahame.

sdivito

Aug 23, 2004
Excuse my ignorance but what is Sankie????

Is this slang for something. I've never heard that word used before.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
use the search feature but to give you a quick generalization, its a dominican pick up artist who tricks girls (works the other way around too) into falling in love with him in order to use them for money.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
sdivito said:

Sorry, my 'British' sense of humour!!!
As Conchman suggests, do a check in the archives by punching in the Key Word of Sanky or Sankie & see the plethora of information you get back. Also go into the forum of Sankie 101 moderated by Anna & you'll get a jist of that which I speak!!

Have an enjoyable time in your studies, read carefully & inwardly digest & the information contained in the archives will get you straight for the approaches used. As a result, you will have many a laugh remebering the stories you read when you get approached by a sankie during your holiday down here!!! ~ Grahame.

sdivito

Aug 23, 2004
A new word added to my vocab.

As an artist at heart, I now welcome the little scam artists who opt to attempt their hustle. Should be amusing to say the least. I will read up on it all though. Rest assured, there is plenty of that going on in Chicago as well as the rest of the world. Always interested in learning a new approach however in the event I find myself homeless and in dire need of a new occupation that mostly involves hanging out on the beach -lol. Much thanks to all of you.

Last edited:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
MOe of the same

You have received good feedback already and I will add mine. As a single female living here - it is safe as long as you use your head.

And honey you ain't seen nothing yet when it comes to the Sankies! They are very very good at scamming so be warned, read the previous posts!!!! Do the search like suggested and read up.

If you are coming alone and you want some company to get off the resort just send me an email. I go out all the time.....

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
sdivito said:

You will experience the "sankie" about 36 seconds after you arrive at the airport. Cannot describe what they look like because they come in all shapes sizes and colors. But you will know who they are as soon as they put their "spell" on you. Have fun, but use your common sense!

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
My suggestion

Here in Zona Colonial I'm hearing of more people being robbed. Houses. 2 Motorcycles were almost robbed in my street last week. Purses off peoples sholders...mine was stolen last week buy a guy passing on a motorcycle. I even had it in front of me and was holding on to it. The guy almost hit my friend when we were crossing the street and took us off guard. I'm just happy the strap broke and I didn't get pulled down the road.

Just watch whats around you. Don't carry a purse if its possible. Put stuff in pockets. Just to be on the safe side.

Not sure why its happening in my area more. I see more police in the streets. But here theres lots of tourists and the theives watch for them most.

So just watch what you do and you should be fine. Stuff happens. Just don't carry your passports and important things with you so incase you do get taken by suprise it wont matter that much. Put money in different pockets this way they won't get everything if they do hit one pocket.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
look both ways

Jan said:
Here in Zona Colonial I'm hearing of more people being robbed. Houses. 2 Motorcycles were almost robbed in my street last week. Purses off peoples sholders...mine was stolen last week buy a guy passing on a motorcycle. I even had it in front of me and was holding on to it. The guy almost hit my friend when we were crossing the street and took us off guard. I'm just happy the strap broke and I didn't get pulled down the road.

Just watch whats around you. Don't carry a purse if its possible. Put stuff in pockets. Just to be on the safe side.

Not sure why its happening in my area more. I see more police in the streets. But here theres lots of tourists and the theives watch for them most.

So just watch what you do and you should be fine. Stuff happens. Just don't carry your passports and important things with you so incase you do get taken by suprise it wont matter that much. Put money in different pockets this way they won't get everything if they do hit one pocket.

On El Conde when crossing the streets, look both way's as the motors don't pay attention to the one way, anyway, and if there is one coming don't cross. stay back far enough that your not an easy grab.