State of Ocean Bavaro, Punta Cana

SatGuy

Sep 28, 2004
I am travelling to the Ocean Bavaro on 16th Oct. Can anyone returning from the Bavaro beach area tell me how they are doing? Are there fresh supplies getting in? I know the hotel did not get much damage, I was able to contact my carrier, Conquest, and the hotel manager says things are fine. But I would rather hear from a third party what is going on there. My elderly father is going too and I am concerned the grounds are bad and there are not many amenities available.
Anyone just returning, please help!
Thanks, Satellite Guy

CindyP71

Sep 20, 2004
Think Twice...

Our hotel claimed everything was fine as well, yet our travel agent canceled all flights going to the Dominican Republic due to the "entire" island not meeting their standards (since the hurricanes hit). Keep in mind, most hotels will say anything to get you there. You are their bread and butter.

You may want to contact your father's doctor and ask the doctor if he suggests your father go (please explain that it is a third world county which have just gotten hit with another major hurricane). My doctor prohibited me from going (I'm pregnant) stating that many travelers end up in the emergency room with internal parasites (even if they stayed on the resort grounds). She suggested if I must go, to contact the hotel and speak to the doctor's office. I did so, and they advised me that I should avoid eating any fruits and vegetables and to make sure I drink only bottled water (that includes using bottled water to brush your teeth to). You may also want to research your travel insurance because your father's insurance most likely doesn't cover illnesses out of the country (I know mine didn't) and the average bill can run you up to $800.00 for an emergency visit.

I've caught a parasite from Mexico once and trust me, it's one of the worst pains I've ever experienced.

~Cindy

Azn_dude

Sep 17, 2004
I too am traveling to Ocean Bavaro in October. I will be arriving there on October 19. From all the I am reading on this board and others, things are slowly starting to become normal again.

But if anyone has just returned from Ocean Bavaro, please provide an update and/or review of your trip.

Thanks