HAD A GREAT TIME BUT, Didn't Like Santiago

ed wooden

Sep 2, 2002
I Just Got Back From The D.R.. I Was Suppose To Stay In Santiago For Three Days Before Moving On To Sosua And Boca Chica. I Just Didn't Like Santiago And Left After The First Day. I Traveled With A Group Of Ten And None Of The Guys Really Like The City. We Stayed At The Hotel Colonial, Which Was Cheap But Seem To Have A Lot Of Power Outages. It Was My First Time In Santiago, But I Have Been Traveling To The D.R. For Many Years. I Guess I Just Didn't Know Where To Go.

Had A Great Time In Sosua In Spite Of Hurricane Jeanne And All The Rain. We Stayed At Casa Linda. I Was Amazed At How Fast They Were Able To Clean Up With No Power Tools, Such As Chain Saws.
I Was Sorry To See The Large Disco Was Still Close, But The New
Classical Disco Was Nice. Did A Lot Drinking At The Blue Dolphin And The Four Roses Bar. And Of Course The Weather Was Great The Day We Headed For Boca Chica.

Boca Chica Was, Well It Was Boca Chica! Always A Cool Time There. We Stayed At The Garant International And Condo Carey Which Is Right Across The Street. Hated Condo Carey And Most Of Us Ended Up At The Garant When Rooms Became Availible. I'll Never Stay In Condo Carey Again A Lot Of Problems, Such No Towels, Rooms Just Not Clean And At One Point No Water. On The Last Day When We Checked Out They Said One Of Our Group Didn't Pay For Thier Room. The Police Were Called, We Had A Receipt For The Total Amount. We Wer'nt Getting Anywhere Until A Few Of The Guys In Our Group Pulled Out Thier Bagdes To Show That They Were Police Officers Also, Then Everyone Started Kissing Our Butts. It Turn Out That The Desk Clerk Had Pocketed The Cash.

I HOPE I DON'T Sound TOO Negative, I Love The D.r. And Always Have A Great Time. I Try To Get All My Friends To Check Out The D.R. This Was The First Time I Had Any Major Headaches. But I Know I'll Be Back There In A Couple Months. ;)

I WANT TO GIVE A SPECIAL THANKS THE RAFAEL SILVA TAXI SERVICE HE WAS GREAT WITH ALL OF OUR PICK UPS AND TRANSFERS.
AND TO THE GARANT INTERNATIONAL WHO REALLY TOOK CARE OF US.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
xamaicano said:
Couldn't find the hookers in Santiago, huh?
'

dude, you read my mind

if thats the sole purpose of you trip, of course you will love BC and Sosua and have a hard time in Santiago.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Yeah, you had a trip that included Boca Chica, Sosua, and Santiago? One of those cities definitely don't go with the other two.

Your problem, Ed, was direction. It's not a tourist beach town, but any means. You just didn't know where to go in Santiago. There are several places with ladies of leisure in Santiago. Shoulda just asked, LOL!!!

Santiago's not built for 10 dudes in a group, whose sole purpose was looking for hookers/women. It's more discreet than Boca Chica or Sosua in that matter. However, in Santiago, I'm sure Pasions, Ilusions, or Casa Blanca would've tried to assist. All you had to do was ask any taxi driver.

I, too, had the same experience with Hotel Colonial. I can't blame them, it's a country-wide problem. They're just not as prepared as other hotels. There were other alternatives, such as Hotel Platino or Hotel Aloha Sol, both in the $35-45/nite range.

Better luck next time.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
xamaicano said:
Couldn't find the hookers in Santiago, huh?

People need to understand that tourist town are not real Dominican towns. They are international places with everything the world has to offer crammed into a tiny tourist area.

When people treck into Santiago, they get to see the real Dominican Republic, where people with dignity live plus or minus a few who treck down from the tourist spots or have been influenced by those who live in the tourist spots.

Anyways, its always good when tourist enjoy their stay (tourist town or not), but, next time they should head to Santiago and do the following:

1. Get a list of all the places to see (of all types to spice up the stay, such as a cultural place, a monument, and then the nights go to the clubs).

2. Realize that Santiago is a real place, not a tourist place. What I mean by that is that Santiago was built to be home for people, not to host tourist's needs in particular.

3. Then head for the tourist spots where the international influences awaits them.

As rule of thumb, towns that have real churches with high bell towers are usually real towns. Towns that lack a real church and is by the sea is a tourist town. There are many exceptions on both sides, but that is a good rule of thumb to follow.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
badpiece33 said:
Tell all your friends Santiago sucks so I can have it all to myself, I love when people complain about Santiago ;) They just dont have a clue.
Badpiece
Hahahaha, i agree, please tell all of your friends that santiago sucks, lacks everything and women are ugly. Please stay in sosua or boca chica and enjoy all the UBHs you can handle.
This guys stays in one of the worst hotels in santiago, a street where I wouldn't even walk in day light, let alone spend a night? Its a cheap hotel used by budget tourists or hookers. The street resembles a NYC street where you would find people selling drugs. Yeah, this guy sure has seen the best of santiago. I am glad he went there so we won't see any more of his type here in the future.
AZB

DC_papi

Jan 7, 2004
ed wooden said:
I Just Got Back From The D.R.. I Was Suppose To Stay In Santiago For Three Days Before Moving On To Sosua And Boca Chica. I Just Didn't Like Santiago And Left After The First Day. I Traveled With A Group Of Ten And None Of The Guys Really Like The City. We Stayed At The Hotel Colonial, Which Was Cheap But Seem To Have A Lot Of Power Outages. It Was My First Time In Santiago, But I Have Been Traveling To The D.R. For Many Years. I Guess I Just Didn't Know Where To Go.

Had A Great Time In Sosua In Spite Of Hurricane Jeanne And All The Rain. We Stayed At Casa Linda. I Was Amazed At How Fast They Were Able To Clean Up With No Power Tools, Such As Chain Saws.
I Was Sorry To See The Large Disco Was Still Close, But The New
Classical Disco Was Nice. Did A Lot Drinking At The Blue Dolphin And The Four Roses Bar. And Of Course The Weather Was Great The Day We Headed For Boca Chica.

Boca Chica Was, Well It Was Boca Chica! Always A Cool Time There. We Stayed At The Garant International And Condo Carey Which Is Right Across The Street. Hated Condo Carey And Most Of Us Ended Up At The Garant When Rooms Became Availible. I'll Never Stay In Condo Carey Again A Lot Of Problems, Such No Towels, Rooms Just Not Clean And At One Point No Water. On The Last Day When We Checked Out They Said One Of Our Group Didn't Pay For Thier Room. The Police Were Called, We Had A Receipt For The Total Amount. We Wer'nt Getting Anywhere Until A Few Of The Guys In Our Group Pulled Out Thier Bagdes To Show That They Were Police Officers Also, Then Everyone Started Kissing Our Butts. It Turn Out That The Desk Clerk Had Pocketed The Cash.

I HOPE I DON'T Sound TOO Negative, I Love The D.r. And Always Have A Great Time. I Try To Get All My Friends To Check Out The D.R. This Was The First Time I Had Any Major Headaches. But I Know I'll Be Back There In A Couple Months. ;)

I WANT TO GIVE A SPECIAL THANKS THE RAFAEL SILVA TAXI SERVICE HE WAS GREAT WITH ALL OF OUR PICK UPS AND TRANSFERS.
AND TO THE GARANT INTERNATIONAL WHO REALLY TOOK CARE OF US.

Yeah Satiago sucks major balls. I was there on spring break this year and wasn't too pleased. I stayed in santiago for 2 days and 5 days in boca chica/santo domingo. Hotel platino in santiago sucks and the staff over there are thiefs. They stole my credit card and maxed it out. On the other hand, boca chica and SD was pretty fun. Stayed in carribe hotel for 2 nights...good rates but dirty bathroom. Couldn't do much exploring cus my spanish was soo limited. Planning on going next year spring break, would know some spanish by then cus i'm taking spanish classes now.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
I think it's funny how everyone assumes just because you go to BC or sosua you go for the hookers. what's the point in someone from Toronto or NY taking a vacation in Santiago? nothing. what is it that you can do in Santiago you can't do in Toronto or NY? nothing. what is it you can do in BC or sosua you can't do in Toronto or NY? swim and enjoy the beach. I just came back from a 2 week vacation in BC, how many days was I on the beach, 10 or 11 (there were a few rainy days), how many nights was I at the cosmos and Zanzibar drunk like a MF, every night, how many hookers, 3, and none of them was an UBH, 2 great-looking girls from cosmos and 1 from la sala. if I was going there exclusively for the hookers I'd be 'working' many more than 3. ;) :cool: :smoke:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I think you ought to retry Santiago. Go to the main beach this time! After you finish with the main beach try the smaller beach on the east side of town.

I bet there are more hookers in Santiago than there are in Boca Chica and Sosua combined! Probably uglier also.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
Escott said:
I think you ought to retry Santiago. Go to the main beach this time! After you finish with the main beach try the smaller beach on the east side of town.

why do i keep thinking santiago is not a coastal town? always thought it was hours away from the ocean.

DC_papi

Jan 7, 2004
liam1 said:
why do i keep thinking santiago is not a coastal town? always thought it was hours away from the ocean.

There lots of hookers in santiago and all of them look sick.

SNNYC

Oct 18, 2004
Santiago

Ed
I Am American. I Visited Santiago In Back In June. I Had A Good Time There. The People Were Very Very Nice. I Guess I Enjoyed It Because I Wasnt Just There For The Women..i Did Notice That The People In Santiago Were A Little More "booshy" In Some Areas Compared To Bonao And San Francisco De Marcois, In Which I Also Visited. I Was In Dr For Two Weeks And Overall, I Was Really Impressed. I Can't Wait To Go Back Again In December.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
SNNYC said:
Ed
I Am American. I Visited Santiago In Back In June. I Had A Good Time There. The People Were Very Very Nice. I Guess I Enjoyed It Because I Wasnt Just There For The Women..i Did Notice That The People In Santiago Were A Little More "booshy" In Some Areas Compared To Bonao And San Francisco De Marcois, In Which I Also Visited. I Was In Dr For Two Weeks And Overall, I Was Really Impressed. I Can't Wait To Go Back Again In December.

Sorry for being out of touch, but what exactly does "booshy" means?

And for the sake of enlighting this "anti-Santiago" thread, what exactly was it that you found so attractive of Santiago or the Cibao in general? What exactly was it that impressed you?

This should be interesting.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Nal0whs said:

And for the sake of enlighting this "anti-Santiago" thread, what exactly was it that you found so attractive of Santiago or the Cibao in general? What exactly was it that impressed you?

It was the Boosh you silly guy!

portcityplaya

Oct 10, 2004
Booshy means....

Nal0whs said:

Uppity or snooty. Kinda snobbish. I'm not sure if it was spelled correctly though.