Restaurant prices...

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I just went to a restaurant where I buy take out food. The manager told me...the prices are going up tomorrow. According to him the prices are going up 25%...he says that is because of the new ITBIS. I thought the new tax only increased from 12% to 16%....4% difference. I said to him...yes, but the dollar is decreasing...he said, I don't know about that but our prices are increasing.

Is that to be expected at all restaurants....stores....services?

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
I'm afraid prices are indeed hiking, despite weak US$

I think you will find answers to your questions in this El Caribe articles today, which explores in depth the kind of dilemma facing restauranteurs and the eating public alike.

http://elcaribe.com.do/articulo_mul...d=3F50150C1FA54E6F992FB733AF2FC226&Seccion=69

---------------------------------------------
Prohibido comer fuera
Impuestos ?expulsan? a la clase media de restaurantes
Por Daryelin Torres / El Caribe
Martes 5 de octubre del 2004 actualizado a las 1:31 AM

El nuevo 16% de ITBIS m?s el viejo 10% de propina, atragantar?n a m?s de un comensal al ver la cuenta de su almuerzo o cena ?gourmet?. El costo m?nimo por persona var?a entre 300 y mil pesos, un cuarto de ellos s?lo para impuestos

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
I just don't get it.....

I just went to a restaurant where I buy take out food. The manager told me...the prices are going up tomorrow. According to him the prices are going up 25%...he says that is because of the new ITBIS. I thought the new tax only increased from 12% to 16%....4% difference. I said to him...yes, but the dollar is decreasing...he said, I don't know about that but our prices are increasing.

Is that to be expected at all restaurants....stores....services?
When the peso was falling against the $, prices went up alot. Now the peso is climbing against the $ and prices go up. Go figure........

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Formosano2000 said:
I think you will find answers to your questions in this El Caribe articles today, which explores in depth the kind of dilemma facing restauranteurs and the eating public alike.

http://elcaribe.com.do/articulo_mul...d=3F50150C1FA54E6F992FB733AF2FC226&Seccion=69

---------------------------------------------
Prohibido comer fuera
Impuestos ?expulsan? a la clase media de restaurantes
Por Daryelin Torres / El Caribe
Martes 5 de octubre del 2004 actualizado a las 1:31 AM

El nuevo 16% de ITBIS m?s el viejo 10% de propina, atragantar?n a m?s de un comensal al ver la cuenta de su almuerzo o cena ?gourmet?. El costo m?nimo por persona var?a entre 300 y mil pesos, un cuarto de ellos s?lo para impuestos

My Spanish is very poor, but do I read correctly that there has always been a 10% tip included in the tax? I was never sure. I always tip and will continue to do so based on the fact that 10% is not enough and the waiter probably never sees the money. - D

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Percentages

Danny W said:
My Spanish is very poor, but do I read correctly that there has always been a 10% tip included in the tax? I was never sure. I always tip and will continue to do so based on the fact that 10% is not enough and the waiter probably never sees the money. - D

Yes, 10% is the legal "service charges". You are right about whether the waitors will ever see any of these money. For this reason, people often leave extra bills (always in cash) on the table, meant for the particular person who serves you. If you simply add those extra tips on the credit card tab, it defeats the purpose again.