Danger on the streets of Santo Domingo

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Well, it finally happened! At last! After 11 years of quiet life in paradise I finally got robbed by the cheap public car ?ladrones?. It all happened on a lovely Thursday afternoon on the 27th de Febrero/ Lincoln. I took a public car which looked normal to me; public car sticker on the door, 2 ladies seating in the back with a box, a fat man passenger and the driver. I sat at the front and the game started; the fat dude had a folder in his hand that he was using to block my view from my purse and was moving around like he was trying to get comfortable while taking stuff in my purse. I started fighting with him to take the folder of my face and realized my purse was opened so I started yelling at the driver to lets me off, and he did, thank god!! When I got off I finally realized what had just happened, I looked in my purse to see that my cheap sunglasses were gone and also was my pepper spray! I usually have my pepper spray in my hand when I get in a car but I felt ?safe? today! So to end my journey, I took another streetcar and went straight to Cuesta where I got myself another pepper spray! I guess I can say that I was very lucky this time. Two of my girlfriends (foreigners) were not so lucky last year; one was taken to the other side of the bridge where she got pushed around and they took everything she had on her, and my other friend got pushed off the curse and was bruised on a main street when they tried to snap her purse. I was told this is the latest trend; 2 ladies in the back with some bag, box or something in the middle so it looks full so it obligates you to seat in the front with the pick-pocket man. All this to say, PLEASE BE CAREFUL, the streets can be pretty dangerous if you don't pay attention!!

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Wow! After 11 years! You have been lucky! I got robbed twice in public cars, last time 5 years ago. Same story as yours, seems those guys have the same old "business". Since that, I decided to take taxis. More safe to me!

My secretary has been robbed many times, same style too. Now, it is dangerous to fight back robbers, you should be careful!

Jess

bienvenido

Sep 5, 2004
change ride

Every where there is a Dominican streetcar "concho" line , there is a bus line. Getting robbed in a bus is darn hard but, most people rather ride the streetcars, I don?t know why? But, I find " el concho" very uncomfortableyou; i hate getting in and out all the time. On the other hand, in the bus if you get a seat you never have to move except that you have to wait a little longer. Try no to carry women purse when riding public transportation. and use men type of wallet, if you can. If you take the bus , it is easier to catch the thief, and normally people in the bus will help you if someone try to. I never being robbed in DR. If you invest in your own wheel like someone suggested that will not prevent you from getting rob either. Investing in your own wheel give you more comfort rather than more security. Car are stolen and people are robbed as much as people are robbed in streetcars. The lost is greater and the danger higher when you have your own ride. Those who have their own wheel in DR are just taking a greater risk. If you call a taxi, they will give you the type,color and name of the driver , and that is pretty good for your safety.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Invest in your own wheels.

Regardless of the hassles!

Buy your own wheels!

Besides, out of all the modes of public transport, I just don't see why foreigners in particular like getting in the conchos. I just don't see why.

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
bienvenido said:
Every where there is a Dominican streetcar "concho" line , there is a bus line. Getting robbed in a bus is darn hard but, most people rather ride the streetcars, I don?t know why? But, I find " el concho" very uncomfortableyou; i hate getting in and out all the time. On the other hand, in the bus if you get a seat you never have to move except that you have to wait a little lunger. Try no to carry women purse when riding public transportation. Use those men type of wallet. If you take the bus , it is easier to catch the thief, and normally people in the bus will help you if someone try to. I never being robbed in DR.

I have not seen one in Romulo Betancourt...

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
If that was today then we almost crossed. I was on that corner too at 12:25... Wish I could have been there to back you up.

As for buses, they're not that much better. In the Omsa buses, when they're packed full, robbers steal people's wallets out of their pockets and stuff out of women's purses.

And as for getting a pair of wheels, I WISH!! Believe me, if I'd have the oportunity to buy a car, I would!! I doubt that many people these days crush themselves into a public car because they enjoy it!

bienvenido

Sep 5, 2004
not true at all.

You may say that in the states or other 1st world countries, but in DR having your own wheel will not add to your security. As a matter of fact , you might become a crime target. As soon as your car break down or you park or drive at night there is someone waiting for you to make the wrong move.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
KateP said:
If that was today then we almost crossed. I was on that corner too at 12:25... Wish I could have been there to back you up.

As for buses, they're not that much better. In the Omsa buses, when they're packed full, robbers steal people's wallets out of their pockets and stuff out of women's purses.

And as for getting a pair of wheels, I WISH!! Believe me, if I'd have the oportunity to buy a car, I would!! I doubt that many people these days crush themselves into a public car because they enjoy it!

You can't afford to even rent one?

Or why don't you call a radio taxi? You get an entire safe car and driver with no hassle about mingling with the bad apples.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
bienvenido said:
You may say that in the states or other 1st world countries, but in DR having your own wheel will not add to your security. As a matter of fact , you might become a crime target. As soon as your car break down or you park or drive at night there is someone waiting for you to make the wrong move.

Well, never loose sight that SDQ is a metropolis!

Only Tokyo is a metropolis where you leave a wallet and it will remain in tact where you left it, and even there things are changing!

But, having your wheels do eliminate the getting pickpocket while in transit.

About the night time problem, then don't go out at night or limit your night excursions to once a week.

And about parking, be wary of your sorroundings! After all, the same applies everytime you get off a concho!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Nal0whs said:
You can't afford to even rent one?

Or why don't you call a radio taxi? You get an entire safe car and driver with no hassle about mingling with the bad apples.

Believe me, if I can't afford to buy one, I can't afford to rent one either. When I have to go out at night I take a taxi but at 90 pesos the ride, it's too expensive for me to use daily. I'm living off a RD$16000 salary and you know how it costs to live in Los Cacigazcos... 2 years ago I was ok but these days I can just barely make it. Maybe next year! (that's what I said last year though... :cross-eye )

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
KateP said:

Wooo...we also think alike..I was just in my word program typing up a responce exactly like this one...claro... I don't take concho for pleasure and if I could have my wheels or take 2 cabs on a daily basis I would...but no can do! And also, I had more friends with wheels that got robbed than friends in conchos that did!! The point of this message is that we need to be a bit more careful on the streets wheels o no wheels... :bandit:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I'm living off a RD$16000 salary and you know how it costs to live in Los Cacigazcos... 2 years ago I was ok but these days I can just barely make it. Maybe next year! (that's what I said last year though... :cross-eye

Well, last year we had Hippo, so that one doesn't really count. It was almost a given that things were going to be worse off now than last year. But, things are changing for the better, despite some obvious problems in the short run.

Well, keep "conchando" but, carry a pocket knife as an added safety along with the pepper spray. Nothing scares a theif more than seeing that his target knows how to defend him/herself and is willing to actually defend themselves!

Or take some Tae Kwon Do classes, besides its good for releaving stress!

BTW, did you catched the guy's liscence plate number?
So you can warn other folks who do go "conchando" to avoid that guy.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
The fat man

"BTW, did you catched the guy's liscence plate number?
So you can warn other folks who do go "conchando" to avoid that guy."

:cry: Nope, it all went so fast! All I remember is that it was a dark blue Toyota with a really fat man inside! :nervous:

Last edited:

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
Unbelievable

juanita said:
"BTW, did you catched the guy's liscence plate number?
So you can warn other folks who do go "conchando" to avoid that guy."

:cry: Nope, it all went so fast! All I remember is that it was a dark blue Honda with a really fat man inside! :nervous:

He must be making a killing off stealing other peoples stuff..........its very strange to see a poor fat person that is living in D.R. If they are fat they must make good money LOL :laugh: :laugh:

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Update!!!

I was just talking around the office about the event and a coworker just told me that; the same car, same group, same fat man also did the same play with his wife and they got away with her money, but this time on Kennedy/Lopez de Vega. :bandit:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Juanita, sorry to hear about this but it sounds like you had your wits about you and they got away with less than they would have liked. However, no matter how little is stolen it is still an unsettling experience. I had my wallet lifted out of my bag in the supermarket over a year ago, and as a result I am always on my guard now. A woman asked me to help her work out which nappies (diapers) were the cheapest, while her accomplice did the business. I won't fall for that trick again! It seems as if being a victim of crime is more of a possibility now: I try not to stand out too much as a target - I drive a deliberately inconspicuous car and hope I don't look like a total gringa!

I used to use carros publicos when I was here as a visitor, and then once I had a car I would occasionally take one along Independencia to get home from work when I lived in Gazcue and worked in Zona Universitaria. I usually walked to work in the mornings but sometimes the afternoon heat was too much for the walk home! On the whole, I don't think there are many people using conchos if they have an alternative.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
juanita said:
Well, it finally happened! At last! After 11 years of quiet life in paradise I finally got robbed by the cheap public car ?ladrones?. It all happened on a lovely Thursday afternoon on the 27th de Febrero/ Lincoln. I took a public car which looked normal to me; public car sticker on the door, 2 ladies seating in the back with a box, a fat man passenger and the driver. I sat at the front and the game started; the fat dude had a folder in his hand that he was using to block my view from my purse and was moving around like he was trying to get comfortable while taking stuff in my purse. I started fighting with him to take the folder of my face and realized my purse was opened so I started yelling at the driver to lets me off, and he did, thank god!! When I got off I finally realized what had just happened, I looked in my purse to see that my cheap sunglasses were gone and also was my pepper spray! I usually have my pepper spray in my hand when I get in a car but I felt ?safe? today! So to end my journey, I took another streetcar and went straight to Cuesta where I got myself another pepper spray! I guess I can say that I was very lucky this time. Two of my girlfriends (foreigners) were not so lucky last year; one was taken to the other side of the bridge where she got pushed around and they took everything she had on her, and my other friend got pushed off the curse and was bruised on a main street when they tried to snap her purse. I was told this is the latest trend; 2 ladies in the back with some bag, box or something in the middle so it looks full so it obligates you to seat in the front with the pick-pocket man. All this to say, PLEASE BE CAREFUL, the streets can be pretty dangerous if you don't pay attention!!

WATCH OUT LADIES DO NOT USE THOSE CHEAP CARS SPECIALLY AT NIGHT. MY WIFE COUSIN WAS ROBBED NOT TOO LONG AGO.

the DNI (DOMINICAN FBI) is investigating CARROS PUBLICOS (CONCHOS)

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
taxi

I'm flying into santo domingo next week, but for the first time, I'll be arriving late at night around 2am. I allways get a ride or rent-a-car, but at 2am, I'm not getting either. Is there a taxi stand in las americas airport??

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Ricardo900 said:
I'm flying into santo domingo next week, but for the first time, I'll be arriving late at night around 2am. I allways get a ride or rent-a-car, but at 2am, I'm not getting either. Is there a taxi stand in las americas airport??

Yes there is. Just make sure you secure the rate before you leave.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
juanita said:
Once again as with anywhere else in this great big world! Not just the Dominican Republic. Readers, keep this in mind please.