Wedding in Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

fraggle499

Sep 30, 2004
My husband and I had a civil ceremony in the UNITED STATES, so we are already married.

However, we would like to have a wedding ceremony in the Dominican Republic at the Riu Merengue where we will be staying for our honeymoon.

The wedding planner at the resort keeps saying that we will have to have the wedding during the week with a judge who only speaks Spanish.

Is there some way to hire a priest or official to perform the wedding ceremony for us in English on Sunday or Saturday? I'd like to get married on the weekend, because my entire family will be there by then.

I am already married, so there are no legal documents to sign. I'd just like the ceremony to be performed by an official or holy person.

Thanks Everyone! ;)

~fraggle499

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I answered this question the last time you posted it. The thread is here: http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35048&highlight=Puerto+Plata+wedding

You cannot get a priest to perform a wedding ceremony without signing of papers. There is a Concordat between the Catholic Church and the Government which makes ceremonies performed by priests legal.

There are some priests in Puerto Plata who speak English. You probably cannot have marriage in the Church with the ceremony at the hotel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.