Closing Real Estate Deal

D MAN

Oct 1, 2004
I Am Canadian And My Wife Is Dominicana We Live In Canada ,
We Put A 30% Downpayment On A House In Puerto Plata From Kuky Silverio. He Has Been Good To Us I Think. The House Will Be Finished Soon.
We Are Not Clear About Closing Taxes ,fees Or Any Other Suprises We Might Encounter. Can You Help Us Out?
Also We Dont Oficially Have A Lawyer Yet.
We Are Trying To Do Everything Over The Phone But It Looks Like We Might Have To Make A Quick Trip Down To Take Care Of This.
Any Advice?

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Very first thing....

...get a lawyer ASAP. This is no time for guess work. There are a couple of good real estate lawyers in Sosua. PM me and I'll give you a couple referals.

D MAN

Oct 1, 2004
Lawyers

We Have A Family Member Who Is A Lawyer And Is Going To Close This For Us, But I'm Never 100% Sure Of Anything In The D.r.
(i Did Live And Work There For About A Year)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Act very quickly!!!!

D MAN said:
We Have A Family Member Who Is A Lawyer And Is Going To Close This For Us, But I'm Never 100% Sure Of Anything In The D.r.
(i Did Live And Work There For About A Year)
From experience, GET A LAWYER, SINCE YOU SAY THAT YOU OFFICIALLY DO NOT HAVE ONE, AS FAST AS YOU CAN COUNT TO 1!!!.

It's hard enouth that you are dealing long distance but you need to see what's being done. I was going to buy an apartment a few months ago and decided against it because, believe it or not, 3 times, when I was about to close the deal, the moron tried to hit me for much more money. I later found out that even my so-called lawyer, who was a "cousin" of a friend, was taking me for a ride. Even if you have family or friends helping you over there, you will not know who to trust. You need to be there and supervise every single detail and if you can't, be very selective who you trust. The same thing happened when I tried to fix my whole house. Even though the contractor was very "good friends" with some of my friends in SD, the jack even threatened to kill me if I did not give him more money!.
I am not trying to scare you. Just follow your heart and if someone wrongs you, take it as a life's experience because many, not all, in the DR are known to take advantage of a foreigner and non-foreigner for that matter.
Good luck!