santiago, day to day...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
For those of you who are wondering: whats going on in santiago now-a-days?
Here are little tid bits.
Yesterday santiagueros were clogging the major city streets to be entertained my police snatching illegal haitians off the streets and putting them in a school buses to take them away across the border. People who were going to work or simply walking around were picked up and taken away.

The major avenues of santiago are unusually jammed from traffic recently. bartelome colon in the morning resembles a santo domingo street. 27 de febrero and juan pablo duarte at the estrella sadhala junction is clogged at various hours of the day.

Amet is seen in full force giving out tickets and towing away cars all over.

Ahi-bar is as full as always and beer is still 42 pesos / small bottle. this may all change with the new tax hike.

Dollar is hitting all time low yet prices are keep raising.

Blackouts are worse than ever in certain parts of the city. 15-18 hrs blockout is common in many neighborhoods.

People don't seem to be spending enough money so many businesses are hurting all over. watch, how many more businesses will fold quickly.

Tonight, Bar Tribecca will host a special private (invitation only) party, hosted by an american friend who owns a modeling agency. Watch out for cute models dancing in 2 huge cages and tequila girls dressed like banditas selling tequila shots. Glowing margreta drinks etc. There will be a exclusive lazer show that no one else seem to possess in DR. TV and magazines will cover the event.

BIU pub (formerly known as Boomarang) is one of the hottest places in santiago at the moment. The old boomarang is completly torn down from inside and totally renovated to attract Javito crowd. A/C is strong and music is much more up to current style.

My porojector is still putting out WOW screen shows to unsuspecting audiance. My little cheap home theater is already winning me new wives everyday. Even chuckU was impressed.

We are experiencing sudden hard rain showers few times a week. Enough to flood the streets and screw up going out plans.

I have just received a call from badpiece (patrick), he is in santiago. Boy o boy, santiago will never be the same again.
Have a nice weekend.
AZB

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Curious!

Just curious! How is the "ladron" situation there? Is it as bad as here in Santo Domingo? :bandit:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just as bad

I know two people that had themselves carjacked and left with the clothes on their backs. From the way they operate I am betting it is a bunch of yuoung cops making some side money until they heit the wrong guy and get killed. And nobody would give a phuck!

I wish I was young enough to go and hang with badpiece and AZB tonight. probably be good fun!!

HB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Hillbilly said:
I know two people that had themselves carjacked and left with the clothes on their backs. From the way they operate I am betting it is a bunch of yuoung cops making some side money until they heit the wrong guy and get killed. And nobody would give a phuck!

I wish I was young enough to go and hang with badpiece and AZB tonight. probably be good fun!!

HB
Hillbilly, you are as old as you think you are. Then again (in DR) a man is never too old to have some fun (refering to a night out with the boys).Badpiece is in SD for the day, but he will be back tomorrow. I am sure he is ready to tear santiago in pieces.
One day, hillbilly has to go out with the boys, even for a few beers in Ahi-bar.
AZB

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
AZB - I'm so glad you still have luz for your projector. I dont know what we would do if you couldnt watch your honey PJ! what did we call it? Projector Babbar?

Oh, and by the way, they wont complain until the beer goes up. Once the Presidentes go over $50 (en el colmado del barrio) thats when the huelgas will start.

I hope you have room for like 10 people in January in Santiago. You promised!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks AZB, that might work! And Talldrink??

Honey, (I am addressing Talldrink here, not AZB) you need to change your tag.

I believe you once described yourself as a very tall girl from San Cristobal. So please change it to "La Mujerona" so the Grammar Police don't have a coniption fit. Okay?

And, if you are coming here in January, you should warn us ahead of time. I am not sure that the gentlemen from Santiago can handle that much woman...

Anyway we can do a "serrucho" and have a good "sancocho de 5 carnes" when you get here.

HB :D:D:D

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Streets jammed pack

Yes, that is my experience also. With gasoline so high you would think not. I also see them building and building new malls, new homes, etc. I would say that people here have money and they are spending.

I remember here after 911 the economy slowed and there were not as many vehicles on the road. That was a slow economy. This looks like a robust one.

Perhaps I am wrong...economics is complex.

But it is the people on the low end of the spectrum who are hit the hardest by higher prices. How they don't get angry I don't understand. There seems to be a minimum threshold...and that threshold is low...if they don't go below it then they are okay. I suppose if they are working and able to buy platano and rice and a beer from time to time they put up with it. Yet that is most of the population. Amazing.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Hillbilly said:
Honey, (I am addressing Talldrink here, not AZB) you need to change your tag.

I believe you once described yourself as a very tall girl from San Cristobal. So please change it to "La Mujerona" so the Grammar Police don't have a coniption fit. Okay?

Hey, I thought we had this convo already - its actually grammtically wrong to say La Mujerona. Do I really have to change my tag altogether for you foreign people that want it to sound another way?

Hillbilly said:
And, if you are coming here in January, you should warn us ahead of time. I am not sure that the gentlemen from Santiago can handle that much woman...

Oh it has, and it will....

Yo llevo el chivo, solo dime el dia y la hora!

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
TD,

Is this a joke about your tag or not? I don't get it- no se dice "la mujerona" quiz?s s?lo los que no saben hablar espa?ol. So please don't change it because it will reflect on you. Definitivamente es "el mujer?n".

-Lesley D

Talldrink said:
Hey, I thought we had this convo already - its actually grammtically wrong to say La Mujerona. Do I really have to change my tag altogether for you foreign people that want it to sound another way?

Oh it has, and it will....

Yo llevo el chivo, solo dime el dia y la hora!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Lesley D said:
TD,

Is this a joke about your tag or not? I don't get it- no se dice "la mujerona" quiz?s s?lo los que no saben hablar espa?ol. So please don't change it because it will reflect on you. Definitivamente es "el mujer?n".

-Lesley D

I was thinking of changing it something else altogether...

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
TD,

Well just to add to that the word "mujerona" has a different context/ meaning altogether. For what you want to say, which I understand is "el sentido aumentativo" it could only be "el mujer?n". Why change because of others?

The use of the word "mujerona" is what is called "lenguaje popular" or "familiar" and it also has a "doble sentido". El mujer?n already means big- "a big women" by using the suffix -?n-. As we said in the other thread -?n- is a masculine suffix thus changing the gender of the word "mujer" from la mujer to "el mujer?n". This is totally colloquial not standard usage ("mujerona" that is). It may be heard but it's not necessarily correct. It's like when people say "m?s mejor". If something es "mejor" that's the highest level (superlative) and then by adding "m?s" makes it sound incorrect.

-Lesley D

Talldrink said:
I was thinking of changing it something else altogether...

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
While you are at changing your tag line, why not change your name all together? Talldrink sounds like a name for a race horse.
Anyway, this thread is about santiago from day to day.
Getting back to the main subject; as I was waking up this morning, I was confronted by my nervous neighbor. She took me to her house to show me how some robbers tried to break into her house in broad day light. Yes, around 12pm in the afternoon, while she was out shopping, some thieves tried to break into her house from the front door. Its her fault in a way also, she has metal bars all over the windows but the front door has non. It was so easy for them to kick in a wooden panal from the door, but they had a hell of a time trying to break the lock. By that time, the lady came back and they ran away. Poor lady was so afraid to sleep alone in the house the whole night. I left her my card and told her to call me anytime she feels afraid. Only if I get my hands on these thieves, I would kidnap one of them for a day in my house and have a little fun. I know some really weird characters in santiago who would love to spend a few hours with them, teaching them a lesson.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
AZB said:
While you are at changing your tag line, why not change your name all together? Talldrink sounds like a name for a race horse.
Anyway, this thread is about santiago from day to day.
Getting back to the main subject; as I was waking up this morning, I was confronted by my nervous neighbor. She took me to her house to show me how some robbers tried to break into her house in broad day light. Yes, around 12pm in the afternoon, while she was out shopping, some thieves tried to break into her house from the front door. Its her fault in a way also, she has metal bars all over the windows but the front door has non. It was so easy for them to kick in a wooden panal from the door, but they had a hell of a time trying to break the lock. By that time, the lady came back and they ran away. Poor lady was so afraid to sleep alone in the house the whole night. I left her my card and told her to call me anytime she feels afraid. Only if I get my hands on these thieves, I would kidnap one of them for a day in my house and have a little fun. I know some really weird characters in santiago who would love to spend a few hours with them, teaching them a lesson.

I guess chiropractors don't have to take a vow to "do no harm"

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Sorry Santiagueros, but every time you say the traffic is bad in Santo Domingo I hear the words "eye" and "plank" somewhere in the background. I find Santiago's traffic to be much worse than that of Santo Domingo. But maybe it's just me.

And by the way, I've had almost 40 straight hours of power. Just so you know. :classic:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Only chivo picante, nada blandito

My attention was called to the merengue "El mujer?n, el mujeron" de la Trova.

Sorry, it just did not look right when I have you in my mind's eye.

And I did look it up in a diccionario and could not find "mujer?n"....

Okay...

HB, looking forward to some hot chivo and who knows what else????

Santiago is still suffering form robberies and since this thread started another friend was carjacked outside of Nano's place in Villa Olga. Four young, armed guys took the owner for a ride stripping him of everything of value. They didn't hurt him because one of the bast@rds said: Don't hurt the doctor, he operated on my grandmother!!"" I do hope they catch these s.o.b.s...

HB

Mephs

Sep 11, 2003
When I visited 3 months ago I did notice that the streets didn't feel as safe as before, but I figured I was being overly paranoid because of the long blackouts. Did this trend start recently, or it just has been getting progressively worse over the last few years?

Festero

Dec 15, 2002
The torture

AZB said:
Only if I get my hands on these thieves, I would kidnap one of them for a day in my house and have a little fun.

Get medieval on them, a la Pulp Fiction?

Or, tie them up in the theater room and show them hour after hour of Brady Bunch episodes (dubbed in Spanish) on wide screen?