Yo no tengo cambio/I don't have change

P

P.T.

Folks, do you have any anecdotes regarding, "yo no tengo cambio"? It always seems that a least on occasion when I'm visitiing the DR, after making use of the services of a restaurant. I am paying for a 300 peso meal with a 1000 peso note, I then become the object of this response from the waiter, "yo no tengo cambio". It implies I'm to eat the surcharge after having consumed the meal. You tell him, you want change. He heads to the register to have a conference with the cashier. He returns and says "yo no tengo cambio". But, I want my change, the man to save face, not embarrass him in front of patrons or coworkers. I send him back to get the head waiter. The head man returns and says, they don't have change. Keep in mind the restaurant is full patrons, money and food is flowing. What do you do? Frustrated on one occasion, I stood up in front of patrons and hollered, "cambio, por favor, rapido". I did get the change.

Do you folks have any sugestions, anecdotes, original ways to combat this behavior other than to always carry small bills? I would like to empower myself in a manner to make sure everyone saves face and we have a good time doing it. If the food is good, I might want to return.

What do you think?

Thanks PJT

L

Leyla

I think it may depend on where your going. Although, of course it shouldn't...it could be the culture difference. As well as the actuall flow of money in that particular area.

Maybe, although it may be an inconveniece for yourself, carrying small bills would probably help "save face" in the restaurant.

It's maybe just as easy to carry 500's instead of 1000's.

Just an idea...Good luck in the future.

A

arcoiris

I have found it difficult to use $1000 peso bills and so carry smaller bills. I also find it difficult to use $100 bills in the US and so carry smaller bills. Again don't be paranoid that they are doing that to you to con you.

S

scaramooch

Don,t you think they are trying to pull a fast one, by telling you that they don,t have change perjaps you are going to leave 700 pesos behind as a tip. Dominicans never seizes the con.

P

P.T.

Scaramooch, They are pulling a fast one. Yet, the waiter may be a victimized along with me, by unwritten management agenda forcing him to do this. If he is doing it on his own, it is with a wink from management. Yet, I want to give him a benefit of a doubt and a tip. But, not at a subsidy of 700 pesos. I would like a sure fire, dignified manner to react to the behavior. Send a message to the restaurant management, that when they respond, "yo no tengo cambio", that it is not acceptable to me as a patron. I have found, when in the smaller shops, restaurants, this does not happen. They always find the time to run to another shop, banco, or local cambiodore to get change.

Thanks for your feedback. PJT