Sex, Sun and Sand Article that ran across Canada

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/EdmontonSun/News/2004/09/11/pf-624774.html

if one more person tells me about this article, i will scream! i think that it is filled with alot of inaccuracies, no factual references and blown way out of proportion. yes, there is alot of prostitution and it is centred and confined to a few tourist areas, but it is not rampant across the country in so far as tourist prostition goes - or maybe i am naive. love to hear your thoughts.

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
Hlywud said:
I emailed our paper and told them to look out their back door and the same **** was happening right here in Canada, why even report such nonsense.

If this is fictitious and nonesense, why Isn't the Canadian Embassy and tourism boards of Canada and the DR crying foul?

Do you think these reporters made this up?

I have obviously seen a lot of "sex trade" in the DR, none involving the children, but when professional reporters put thier careers on the line, I wonder why ?

What is it you say: Where there is smoke there must be fire?

A>

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
WOW!

Anyone here familiar with the place or persons in Pto. Plata mentioned in the article?
Just asking.

DoctorK

Aug 19, 2004
Freedom of the press...

I have lived in many parts of the world, including the border between the Republic and Northern Ireland as well as England and the U.S. over a period of more than 30 years. One thing I have learned is that there is no such thing as unbiased reporting. I have seen events take place before my very eyes and later seen them reported in various media. I can assure you that there is no correlation between the actual facts and their reporting. Most reporters, IMHO, get their data from second- or third-hand sources and file them as if they had witnessed the actual events. Although I have never visited the DR, I plan to so soon and intend to buy property and eventually retire there, unless I find a compelling reason not to do so. It is a pity that articles such as those described are published, since I believe it is very unlikely that they represent a balanced view. I believe they are written in order to sell newspapers rather than to inform the readers. I was under the impression that this motivation was confined to the U.S. media. I guess I was mistaken.

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
Rocky said:
Who said anything about that little pimple of a reporter being professional?

Darn Rocky, three posts tonight and each one upset you, rhoids or something? You know the reporter, I don't

I will send him your email and name of bar, maybe he will interview you next about sex trade

A>

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This is typical of how foreign media sources portray the DR always 10 times worst that what it is.

When ever SDQ is shown, its only the slums, when NYC is shown, its only Manhattan.

When they show a Dominican, its a helpless impoverished person, when they show a westerner is the blonde blue eye business men in his Mercedes.

They make stories of Dominicans leaving the DR for a better life elsewhere, but never make a story on the expats who came to the DR to be happier and better.

This is just one more skewed view the foreign media imposes on the world of what the DR is like.

In fact, the foreign media makes this country seem like a hell hole where every body lives miserable.

They never make a story about how impressed most tourist become when they see such HAPPY people in such impoverish place.

The only time the opposite side of the coin will be shown, is when a Dominican takes the cameras and asks the questions. But, then it will be cricized for "ignoring the poor". Notice how the CNN corresponded was criticized here on DR1 back in Feb. when Haiti Flared up. She said "The DR is wealthier the Haiti with pockets of poverty", make the search on the archives and you will see the debates that started.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Argo said:
Darn Rocky, three posts tonight and each one upset you, rhoids or something? You know the reporter, I don't

I will send him your email and name of bar, maybe he will interview you next about sex trade

A>
You're the rhoid. pal.
Keep on barking.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
DoctorK said:
I have lived in many parts of the world, including the border between the Republic and Northern Ireland as well as England and the U.S. over a period of more than 30 years. One thing I have learned is that there is no such thing as unbiased reporting. I have seen events take place before my very eyes and later seen them reported in various media. I can assure you that there is no correlation between the actual facts and their reporting. Most reporters, IMHO, get their data from second- or third-hand sources and file them as if they had witnessed the actual events. Although I have never visited the DR, I plan to so soon and intend to buy property and eventually retire there, unless I find a compelling reason not to do so. It is a pity that articles such as those described are published, since I believe it is very unlikely that they represent a balanced view. I believe they are written in order to sell newspapers rather than to inform the readers. I was under the impression that this motivation was confined to the U.S. media. I guess I was mistaken.

That is very true.

The Dominican presidential elections back in May were as sweet and smooth as an election can be. It was the ultimate demonstration of Democracy in this island, an island that has seen few legitimate Democratic governments.

After the elections local news media and some foreign sources reported the election to be quite a nice sign of Democracy in the DR, since it was relatively smooth.

I say relatively because around three people died from a small shooting in the Southwest and another in San Pedro de Macoris.

Compared to previous elections in this country, three injuries is peanuts and compared to much of the world, that is nothing to really make a story out of.

None the less, Univision main news started with this title "Dominican elections marked by Blood".

That was the only news source that gave such a negative view of the elections, most other sources reported the elections as they were, which were smooth.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I live 5 minutes away from the place mentioned ( Long Beach)

juancarlos said:
WOW!

Anyone here familiar with the place or persons in Pto. Plata mentioned in the article?
Just asking.

The Articale is for the most part B.S., I have lived and worked in the Long Beach area for over 15 years now!

In those 15 years I or anyone else that I know have never been asked where they can find a twelve or thirteen year old girl!

Yes I have seen some girls working the streets that are maybe sixteen or seventeen years old.

I come from Toronto and know for a fact that you can go down town and get a girl very young also if you have the Money......

Working girls are nothing new to Third World Countries or First for that matter.

And before you jump all over me, I did not move down here for the sex trade.....If you must Know it was the cold Presidente.

Gringo

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Well . . .

juancarlos said:
WOW!

Just asking.

If your refering to Long Beach, then yes, it is a well know area with mom and pop . . . errr ummm, mom and daughter massage centers.
Common behavior oh coming up to you saying mi-amor and trying to sell you some kind of service is nothing new, calling it prostitution would be considered rude to them.

-Lee

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I also live 5 mins away & yes, Long Beach is one of the red light areas. I did not know this particular bar (well I do, but it used to be called something else) or the owner, so I went nosing around. Whilst I was in the vicinity (for about an hour, late morning) I could see no evidence of child abuse. And then the owner's girlfriend came along & I can see where the journalist got some of his information from, at least. I was told she was 17, she appears to be younger than this to me.
I have asked some Dominican women friends who are mothers & who work in the locality (but not the same business!) to keep eyes peeled. I will float around from time to time, but as a gringa I'm a bit noticeable! If any evidence of child abuse comes to light I will report back here, after I have reported it to the appropriate people. Someone ought to take a look at the age of that girlfriend, however.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I have personally witnessed child prostitution in Juan Dolio

back in the early '90's when we first started coming to the DR. However it was very rare even then and I can truthfully say I have seen no evidence of it in our area in at least the past 9 years. Yes some of the "working" girls are very young (17+) however the days of 13 yrs olds "in the business" appear to have gone by the by. Keep in mind that my first encounter with Domincan parents were with a 13 yr old boy and his 12 yr old wife and their several months old baby. Seeing children married with children of their own was certainly unexpected however as we were in a strange country with a different culture we "accepted" it as they way things were here. I knew it was not unusual in India to have a 12 yr old married to a much older man but I didn't expect to find such young parents in the DR. It's been a long, long time since I've seen any that young now.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Look, let's agree we can't discuss this . . . .

This is an issue, and what thoes in denial are looking for is some one to spell it out in all it's uglyness (which would be rude). If you think a guy can't ask for a young girl and get it, then you got your head stuck so far deep in the sand your never going to see the light of day. These people need money and the all mighty dollar speaks volumes. True , I guess 13 or under your in serious jepardy of going to some horrible place that they call jail. But if >dominicans< think generally that this is a mature age . . . which can be anything past 13+ then it's not hard to find. If your a gringa and you go there and you want to find out about getting youg girls, well I don't know, but solicit and see what happens, say your willing to pay, see what happens.
Now can every one please stop denying this is a problem. They say if you put a frog in water and slowly turn up the heat, you can boil the fron and he will never jump out. . . . . . . . . . . that's the difference between seeing a sudden change between societies and seeing a gradual one.

-Lee

jcarn

Jun 28, 2004
Most are between 12 and 17 years old and MAIS, a non-governmental agency working to stop child prostitution in the Dominican,

wtf? in the domincan? this is a poorly written article.

debajoelsol

Jan 23, 2003
Quote: 'the culture that allows its children to be sold to foreigners'
????????????????????
This so called reporter twisted, sensationalized, and made up things to get his story published. Just because he mixed in a few 'statistics' and agencies doesn't validate his story. There are 50 posters on this board that are far superior writers than he is and they would give you an honest evaluation of the situation.
This is only a small part of what he wrote in a week long series that ran daily in the Toronto Sun. He has done more damage to the tourist industry than the bouncing peso.

All across Canada.
"Dear, did you see this article about the Dominican Republic? "
"Yes honey I did. That must be a horrible place if their culture allows its children to be sold to foreigners."
"Well it must be true or the paper wouldn't have run these articles all week."
" There is no way I want to visit a country like that. Scratch the Dominican Republic off our list of destinations this winter. Let me check out the vacations to Cuba instead. Oh yeah , this looks nice."

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I am amazed by some of this story! I am a canadian now living here and this story is unprofessional, senstionalistic and obviously biased reporting.

First - yes it happens. We can't and shouldn't deny it.

Does it happen like this? I don't think so and would challenge the writer to prove what he has stated as fact.

Does it happen in Canada? You betcha! Thank you for posting the link mido to the statistics.

This is definately a case of sensationalism at it's worst! I sincerely hope that most Canadians will take this with a large grain of salt and still travel here.

My understanding is that this article was part of a 7 part series. Does anyone have the whole thing? I'd really like to read it all.

Then I will fire off some emails to the press and politicians in Canada. We also need to do some work with the tour operators in educating their clients.

That being said, we need to stop what is going on here and everywhere else that it happens. Adults can choose what to do with their own bodies. Children cannot and should not be in that position!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
mido said:

While I won't dispute many of your "facts" As a member of the Canadian military for the past 26 years I can tell you that you have to be 17 to join, and then only with your parents permission. If there are 16 year olds, it is with false papers, false school records....etc. In the recruit centers we do research on each person prior to letting them join, but i'm sure some escape the scrutiny.
As far as child prositution, I'm sure without difficulty, I could find teenage girls in almost every little town in almost every country in the world that are willing to accept money for what they are already giving away to the local boys.
I personally perfer a mature woman, but can't deny the attractiveness that youth has.