Moving to the DR...ya, another one

OceanGirl

Oct 4, 2004
Hey everyone! I'm looking for any info on jobs available in and around Puerto Plata. I have visited a couple times, spent time in the resorts in Playa Dorada, met some locals, yadda yadda yadda. Anyways, it's cold up here in Canada and I need a change. I figure I'm young, but have got plenty of work experience to make it. I have already secured a place to stay anytime I'm ready to come down there. I'm still reading all the forums, and trying to do as much research as I can about living in the DR. So let's see what you've got, eh!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
El Searcho Mucho Gusto

As part of your research did you search (not just browse) on the 900 posts on this topic? Apparently not. Try that. I hope you can live on the $150 a month it pays.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Rick, you have such a wonderful way with words

Never in my life could I have said so much in so little time.

Hey kid. You are young. Just don't cash in your return fare and keep enough stashed away for a quick exit. Stay away from sankies and other roaches that roam that part of the woods..

HB

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
You should definetly have enough money to live at least a month because it will take you a while to find a job. Tourism is slow now and it wont be until December until things pick up. A lot of Canadian tour companies start doing business here in November, so maybe they need some temps until April when their season ends. Good luck.

OceanGirl

Oct 4, 2004
thanks tips!

ricktoronto said:
As part of your research did you search (not just browse) on the 900 posts on this topic? Apparently not. Try that. I hope you can live on the $150 a month it pays.

Well Mr. Hoity Toity you do have a way with words. "Like, um totally, I never thought of browsing and reading what everyone has to say." As it turns out I actually am a blonde, so I was just going to rely on that to get me where I need to go. Thanks anyways.

OceanGirl

Oct 4, 2004
hey y'all

Hillbilly said:
Never in my life could I have said so much in so little time.

Hey kid. You are young. Just don't cash in your return fare and keep enough stashed away for a quick exit. Stay away from sankies and other roaches that roam that part of the woods..

HB

So if you were sticking up for me, thanks. I'm taking it that by, "that part of the woods" you are implying that Puerto Plata is kinda skanky? Ya, I know that's o.k. I think I'll fit right in! LOL

Jozee74

Sep 3, 2004
Hey OG

OceanGirl said:
So if you were sticking up for me, thanks. I'm taking it that by, "that part of the woods" you are implying that Puerto Plata is kinda skanky? Ya, I know that's o.k. I think I'll fit right in! LOL

Stay ur A$$ in Canada....unless you want to shine boots in the D.R. I think thats as far as you'll go, give it a couple of years until you actually grow up.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
OceanGirl said:

He said sankie not skanky but if you've been to playa Dorada you must have met one or two of them. Look up the word sankie if you haven't come across it yet. We have a whole forum for it.

Good luck

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Read between, no wait, on top of the lines

OceanGirl said:
Well Mr. Hoity Toity you do have a way with words. "Like, um totally, I never thought of browsing and reading what everyone has to say." As it turns out I actually am a blonde, so I was just going to rely on that to get me where I need to go. Thanks anyways.

Speaking of reading, read what I advised and SEARCH not browse on this subject and you will find a lot of past recent posts that you won't see by browsing that will offer you a great deal of advice, on living costs and resort jobs for extranajeras. You will need to take your cabeza afuera su cula to do that first.

I'll help you avoid scrolling back by quoting me here: "As part of your research did you search (not just browse)...."

You should not insult blondes either.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Taking the plunge!

OceanGirl said:
Hey everyone! I'm looking for any info on jobs available in and around Puerto Plata. I have visited a couple times, spent time in the resorts in Playa Dorada, met some locals, yadda yadda yadda. Anyways, it's cold up here in Canada and I need a change. I figure I'm young, but have got plenty of work experience to make it. I have already secured a place to stay anytime I'm ready to come down there. I'm still reading all the forums, and trying to do as much research as I can about living in the DR. So let's see what you've got, eh!

If you are seriously thinking about taking the plunge, than you might want to look into Canadian Tour Operator that operates here, most of the time they are looking for English/French speaking individuals to work as representative. Good Luck girl! ;)