Cellular Web Browsing?

santodocam

Feb 11, 2004
Is Orange the only company that offers web-browsing on your phone with graphics?

I have 3 phones, 1 from each of the other companies, and dread the thought of a 4th. I have tried inquiring with the 3 companies, but I get conflicting answers each time I call.

FestiveDog

Aug 22, 2004
santodocam said:

I had a US GSM phone with a US carrier---Cingular---SIM. I was able to get data via Orange in the DR, including web browsing. I couldn't make calls to the US, but I could within the DR, using that phone. Sometimes it's impossible to figure out the cell companies.

Doesn't help much, but it's a data point.

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
AT&T Broser

I have an AT&T GSM phone I use on my trips here and in Virginia/DC. With International service authorized I make and receive calls everywhere. Use it in Santiago and recently in Puerto Plata. Also send and receive text messages. While here it reverts to Orange automatically.
r
Jimmy

p2020

May 28, 2004
santodocam said:
Is Orange the only company that offers web-browsing on your phone with graphics?

I have 3 phones, 1 from each of the other companies, and dread the thought of a 4th. I have tried inquiring with the 3 companies, but I get conflicting answers each time I call.

As others have said, Verizon is an option. What you need to know is that all the carriers here, except for Tricom have deployed higher speed data services: Verizon and Centennial have cdma1x and Orange has GPRS. In reality, 1x offers better data speeds than GPRS so you are better off going with Verizon or Centennial than Orange. As to the phone, you can use any phone you like, as long as it is 1x capable.

santodocam

Feb 11, 2004
What about browsing right on the phone as opposed to using a laptop or PDA. My neighbor has a phone with Orange that does it, but it's $29000 RD. My friend in Miami has an Erickson that is much more simple, but that browses on the color display. Orange has the same phone, but claims that it will not browse the web, only DR sites. Are they just trying to sell me the 29K phone?

Also, if I go with Verizon and use a laptop, can I just use a wireless LAN PCMIA card to connect to the phone and browse?

Thanks for all of the advice.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Go take a other look at my post above, I listed two phones you can browse the web with.

Wireless Lan (WiFi) is very different to Wireless Wan (G3 or similar).

You mean go to a Verizon store? With a Internet terminal or the store in Acropolis that has WiFi access?

Why don't you tell us EXACTLY what you want to do and we will tell you EXACTLY what you need and how to do it.

santodocam

Feb 11, 2004
My wish is to have a phone that I can browse the web with here in the DR without using a laptop or PDA, just the phone's screen and controls. I want to be able to go to web sites like American Airlines, DR1, Mapquest, etc.