copies of residency card

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Where Do I go and how do I get a copy of my Residency card? It expired almost 1 year ago but I am going to apply for my permanent residency now and they said I need my residency card and cedula..which both are gone.

How do I get my residency card when its expired?

And after I apply for my permanent residency can I use the paper work only to travel to USA or do I need the plastic cards ? Can a person go to USA with only a cedula or do I need the residency card also? Or just proof that I applied?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Jan dear you are an American and always will be unless you denounce. Don't you have your birth certificate? They say it's best to have a passport but not needed if you are going to the US for a visit.

Good luck with your permanent residency. Can you use your expired one for proof?

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
thing is..

If I don't have my residency then I have to buy a round trip ticket when I return. So I figure the price of the ticket and the cost of my residency will be the same so I might as well spend the money to get my permanent residency.

I just don't know where to go to get a copy of my expired residency card to file for my permanent residency.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Jan said:
If I don't have my residency then I have to buy a round trip ticket when I return. So I figure the price of the ticket and the cost of my residency will be the same so I might as well spend the money to get my permanent residency.

I just don't know where to go to get a copy of my expired residency card to file for my permanent residency.

Immigration Dept would have issued the original, so I assume they will have you on file.
The Immigration dept is on the Malecon just after the Winston Churchill turn off.

timelessdreams

Apr 5, 2004
Residency

Jan said:
Where Do I go and how do I get a copy of my Residency card? It expired almost 1 year ago but I am going to apply for my permanent residency now and they said I need my residency card and cedula..which both are gone.

How do I get my residency card when its expired?

And after I apply for my permanent residency can I use the paper work only to travel to USA or do I need the plastic cards ? Can a person go to USA with only a cedula or do I need the residency card also? Or just proof that I applied?

Jan,

I'm no expert, but we just received our 'first round' residency and cedula cards.
We were told they were valid for 1 year from the date of issue (as indicated on the cards) We were informed by our attorney that this process must be repeated when these cards expire. The new cards will be valid for 1 or 2 years and then at the end of that period, we will be eligible to apply for permanent residency.

Were the cards you had the first or second issued?
I'm curious of the process as well as I was under the impression, we had one more round to go before permanent residency could be applied for.

Thanks!
Susie

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
residency

timelessdreams said:
Jan,

I'm no expert, but we just received our 'first round' residency and cedula cards.
We were told they were valid for 1 year from the date of issue (as indicated on the cards) We were informed by our attorney that this process must be repeated when these cards expire. The new cards will be valid for 1 or 2 years and then at the end of that period, we will be eligible to apply for permanent residency.

Were the cards you had the first or second issued?
I'm curious of the process as well as I was under the impression, we had one more round to go before permanent residency could be applied for.

Thanks!
Susie

Unless somewhere along the line I have missed something. I am on my third or forth round, and still have to renew every two years. Permanent residency?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Jan, you can't get a new or replacement cedula unless you have a residency card. We just went through that with Barbara. Both her cards were stolen and we tried to get a replacement cedula first. But no residency card, no cedula.

If your residency card is expired, I doubt if you will have much luck with Immigration getting a replacement, especially if you don't have a copy of a police report proving that it was stolen. If your cedula/residency card is ever stolen, it is very important to report it to the police and get a copy of their written report.

timelessdreams, one provisional then you apply for permanent. Permanent residency must be renewed every two years under present rules.

timelessdreams

Apr 5, 2004
Thanks!

Thank you, Ken.

So is the one I have considered provisional?
This is the first one and it expires within 1 year.

Also, I heard elsewhere that once you have residency in DR, you must return to the country every 3 months. Is that true? I didn'/t see that listed in the info Robert provided.

Thank in advance!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
timelessdreams said:
Also, I heard elsewhere that once you have residency in DR, you must return to the country every 3 months. Is that true? I didn'/t see that listed in the info Robert provided.

No!! Not true.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
still...the question is...

My temp residency expired 1 year ago this month. My residencia card and cedula were stolen.
I was told by a laywer that I can still apply for my permenent residencia even tho its expired. but I need to get a copy of my original cards.
Where can I get these cards?

Can I go to USA with an application pending and not have to pay the fins for an expired tourist visa? The visa is expired almost 3 years ago.

Once I make an application can I go to USA woithout the plastic cards and not have to pay for a return ticket and a tourist visa?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Do you know your cedula #?

I'm sure immigration would have a copy of your temp residency and paperwork providing it was done right and legal. The same goes for your cedula at the JCE.

Why don't you go along to immigration and ask?
Why don't you go to the JCE and ask?

My guess is you will be paying the fines and will need a return ticket if you do not even have a copy of either your cedula or residency card.

If it's in process, I think they give you a letter so you can avoid paying the fees.