The 'DRAMA' behind Felix Sanches

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
Maybe I'm just dead wrong here but what gives with the country acting like Pablo Duarte just came back from South America? I'm no one to bash and I think that it's great that Felix won a gold medal but to make him out to be a hero...give me a BIG break! Show me someone who can fix the electrical problem and I'll show you a hero. Show me someone who can get the corruption problem down to a minimal and I'll show you a hero! And one more thing that I find to be rather amuzing is that this guy had not even been to the DR before. I mean, what's this his third or fouth trip to the DR? Oh and let me not forget...maybe, when he's down there he can take a spanish class and then claim he is real pure Dominican. What a joke! Instead of celebrating this nonsense the Dominican people should be working hard to get this country out of the crisis that it's currently in.

Alright, that's enough. Hmmm...had been a while since I've posted anything but as many of you older DR1 members know I'm not one to just post for the hell of it.

gatoazul

Aug 24, 2004
DR_DEFENDER said:
Maybe I'm just dead wrong here but what gives with the country acting like Pablo Duarte just came back from South America? I'm no one to bash and I think that it's great that Felix won a gold medal but to make him out to be a hero...give me a BIG break! Show me someone who can fix the electrical problem and I'll show you a hero. Show me someone who can get the corruption problem down to a minimal and I'll show you a hero! And one more thing that I find to be rather amuzing is that this guy had not even been to the DR before. I mean, what's this his third or fouth trip to the DR? Oh and let me not forget...maybe, when he's down there he can take a spanish class and then claim he is real pure Dominican. What a joke! Instead of celebrating this nonsense the Dominican people should be working hard to get this country out of the crisis that it's currently in.

Alright, that's enough. Hmmm...had been a while since I've posted anything but as many of you older DR1 members know I'm not one to just post for the hell of it.

You are right. He is not a hero. As far as I know he has not been raised here at DR. But, after all the bad moments the DR has lived, Felix Sanchez gave the people a reason to be happy. Also, most of our athletes would choose to play or to run under the U.S. flag, but Felix Sanchez preferred to do it under the dominican flag. That made the people happy.

Also, Felix Sanchez is showing the children that you can be somebody important to the society doing the right thing. Think on what the kids from the barrios want to be as adults. What are their options. You can be sure a lot of them are trying to run as fast as him at this moment. That is good.

I don't like Felix Sanchez, personnally. I don't like his expression of greatness when he wins a race, but I cannot deny that he is doing a great job filling the heads of the children with dreams that might lead them to a better future.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Give the kid a break!

He's in his 20's, loves the Dominican Republic, and he is a hero to this country not because he can't speak Spanish or he was raised elsewhere, but because he gave the DR its first olympic gold metal!

Never in history was the Dominican national anthem played in the Olympic games until Sanchez came in the picture.

I mean, what are most heros of the US?

What, Barbara Walters? Tom Cruise? Donald Trump?

I mean, these are people that are praised alot in the US, but what good did they did for that country?

Not much from what I can tell, yet let Barbara ask a question or Tom walk down a street or Donald say "you're fired" again, and oh oh oh its girls screaming, lots of smiles, its ridiculous!

So, if the US can have such heros, I think the DR can too!

Felix Sanchez has done more to lift the spirits of Dominicans than most other people. And you know what, sometimes all people need is to feel good before they start to do good for society!

The fact that Felix was not brought up in the DR is irrelevant, after all, Sammy Sosa, Oscar de la Renta, and Julia Alvarez are high profile Dominicans well known and respected in different circles in the US and are considered to be leaders in their respective professions and the US accepts them as their own, and yet, they are Dominicans.

So, I don't see the basis for gatoazul criticisms.

Maybe somebody is jealous that Felix could gain more respect in this country faster than most people who have come from elsewhere and been here for many years?

If so, keep this in mind, jealousy is the most honest way a person can show admiration to another person's accomplishment.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
DR_DEFENDER said:

For more reasons Dominicans are indebted to Felix Sanchez.
Here is a guy that chooses to represent his parent's nation without
being forced, and also knowing the fact as you state that there
aren?t any reasons why he should represent the Dominican Republic?
especially since the DR has not ever done anything for him, and yet
he still chooses to represent it and gives the DR it's first olympic gold
medal in history. He has made history in the eyes of our people and makes
us proud to be dominicans, especially with all these crisis that we are going through.

The problem with bad electricity and corruption in our government is something that will never get better and and it is the true symbol
of a true third-world country. We can only hope and dream that all these
issues would get worked out. It is the price we pay for living in the so called
"Paradise" by the "Rich" but "hell" by the "Poor".

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
Why do you digress?

Nal0whs said:
Give the kid a break!

He's in his 20's, loves the Dominican Republic, and he is a hero to this country not because he can't speak Spanish or he was raised elsewhere, but because he gave the DR its first olympic gold metal!

Never in history was the Dominican national anthem played in the Olympic games until Sanchez came in the picture.

I mean, these are people that are praised alot in the US, but what good did they did for that country?

Actually, they probably provided more jobs and money than the entire GDP of the DR

Not much from what I can tell, yet let Barbara ask a question or Tom walk down a street or Donald say "you're fired" again, and oh oh oh its girls screaming, lots of smiles, its ridiculous!

Felix Sanchez has done more to lift the spirits of Dominicans than most other people. And you know what, sometimes all people need is to feel good before they start to do good for society!

The fact that Felix was not brought up in the DR is irrelevant, after all, Sammy Sosa, Oscar de la Renta, and Julia Alvarez are high profile Dominicans well known and respected in different circles in the US and are considered to be leaders in their respective professions and the US accepts them as their own, and yet, they are Dominicans.

Maybe somebody is jealous that Felix could gain more respect in this country faster than most people who have come from elsewhere and been here for many years?

If so, keep this in mind, jealousy is the most honest way a person can show admiration to another person's accomplishment.

Nal0wha

Fist, I agree that Sanchez should be honored as a hero in the DR, a hero is important to uplift the sprit's of the country, but then you drop into your usual rhetoric :-(

again, you are very confused, and take your usual swipe at the US for some Freudian reason

You confuse "Celebrities" with heroes. those you listed are celebrities, not heroes

G Washington, T Jefferson, MLK Jr, Audie Murphy, FDR, TR, Grant. Lee, H Ford, Crick-Watson, Lincoln,Rachel Carson,Salk, Morse, Sabin., Armstrong, Glenn...these are our Heroes, not the passing Entertainers you mention

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
i think nals mentioned those people becuase they are celebrated and honored the same way felix was honored and what felix has deserves much respect .Its also not his fualt he was born in the states and that he was raised here ,but he loves the country enough to represent dr in something that u hardley (if ever) see dominicans compete in . felix IS a hero and i suggest u cut down on the HATErade , cuase it wont quench ya thirst ;)

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
oh and as for his spanish , he speaks it alot more fluently than the prs from the states do , so one gotta credit him with that

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Funny how nobody has brought up why he ran under the Flag of the Dominican Republic!

Of course that is all just a rumour!

At least he is a better role model than Sammy Sosa.

gatoazul

Aug 24, 2004
Nal0whs said:
Give the kid a break!

Did you read well what I wrote??

gatoazul

Aug 24, 2004
Nal0whs said:
Give the kid a break!

Please don't stop at the first line while reading.

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
Tony C said:
Funny how nobody has brought up why he ran under the Flag of the Dominican Republic!

Of course that is all just a rumour!

At least he is a better role model than Sammy Sosa.

Exactly! What if that rumor of him running for the DR was because he was rejected by the U.S is true? Would that not seem like all Sanches was worried about was his own glory and not the DR's? So, if that's the case then that means that the DR was just second choice because he had no other choice. It makes you think that if had been turned down by the DR that maybe his next choice would have been P.R or any other country. I'm just trying to chip away at his intentions that's all. Oh and yes I do think it's great that he has lifted the spirit of Dominicans and for that I thank him.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
He's a big fish in a little pond. If he had won for the US it would have been JUST another medal of many. Whether he was rejected by the US or not doesn't matter. He did beat them all and good for him.

My two cents

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
where does this rumor come from

Anna Coniglio said:
He's a big fish in a little pond. If he had won for the US it would have been JUST another medal of many. Whether he was rejected by the US or not doesn't matter. He did beat them all and good for him.

My two cents

Where does this rumor come from? Don't think anyone would reject the current champion. I remember from the commentary that the reason for the wrist band was to remind him of not making the finals for sidney.

He caused a lot of joy in the DR. we need to let it pass, Was best for him because as a track star in the US, not a lot of recognition for that.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
FuegoAzul21 said:
i think nals mentioned those people becuase they are celebrated and honored the same way felix was honored and what felix has deserves much respect .Its also not his fualt he was born in the states and that he was raised here ,but he loves the country enough to represent dr in something that u hardley (if ever) see dominicans compete in . felix IS a hero and i suggest u cut down on the HATErade , cuase it wont quench ya thirst ;)

Not just that, but I always pick on American equivalent of whatever Dominican theme is talked about on DR1, because there are many and I do mean many US based people wondering through this site.

There is no idea made any clearer when you incorporate their own homeplace into the equation.

With the border issue with Haiti, I suggest Americans to look at the Haitian border the sameway they look at the Mexican border.

With the Felix Sanchez deal, the same.

It might make me sound a bit Anti-American, but I'm not. All I am doing is making people realize that Dominicans and that of their own are more alike than different and before criticising Dominicans, they should check their own.

That's all.

gatoazul

Aug 24, 2004
Nal0whs said:
Not just that, but I always pick on American equivalent of whatever Dominican theme is talked about on DR1, because there are many and I do mean many US based people wondering through this site.

There is no idea made any clearer when you incorporate their own homeplace into the equation.

With the border issue with Haiti, I suggest Americans to look at the Haitian border the sameway they look at the Mexican border.

With the Felix Sanchez deal, the same.

It might make me sound a bit Anti-American, but I'm not. All I am doing is making people realize that Dominicans and that of their own are more alike than different and before criticising Dominicans, they should check their own.

That's all.

Try to be less passionate. I felt a little bit bad when you wrote about my post. If you read well you'll see that I'm defending the reasons to celebrate because of the success of the athlete and all the good consequences of it, even when I don't like the person.

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
False Pride

I really don?t think he did something great or great enough to celebrate. Dominicans just like a reason to party. I just came back from a 3-day stop at SDQ and I ask myself what crises? People fill up colmados, bars and discoth?ques. It's drink drink drunk.
The country should stop celebrating and start protesting and doing marches, blockades, etc. If you can paralyze (hurt) the government and private sectors oh they'll start listening.
The Olympics are not what they use to be and probably will never be what they want us to imagine it to be, it is just a another corporate showcase w/ awesomely shaped women.
Dominicans we have a sense of false pride. Anytime a Dominican does great we celebrate and 5 mins later we forget. Felix did not do anything great has he donated anything to children, poor people, etc. There are many Dominicans out there that are trying to help the DR, where's their parade?

He is a good athlete but I didn't celebrate Sosa and I ain't celebrating Sanchez.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
gatoazul said:
Try to be less passionate. I felt a little bit bad when you wrote about my post. If you read well you'll see that I'm defending the reasons to celebrate because of the success of the athlete and all the good consequences of it, even when I don't like the person.
It was not my intention to make either you or anyone feel bad about anything. I was simply explaining my logic for why I always use the US as a comparison to anything Dominican - because there are alot of US based people lurking around these threads.

But, if I unintentionally did cause a misinterpretation or "uncomfortableness" towards you, accept my apology.

gatoazul

Aug 24, 2004
Apologies accepted

Nal0whs said:
It was not my intention to make either you or anyone feel bad about anything. I was simply explaining my logic for why I always use the US as a comparison to anything Dominican - because there are alot of US based people lurking around these threads.

But, if I unintentionally did cause a misinterpretation or "uncomfortableness" towards you, accept my apology.

Apologies accepted and I extend an invitation to you for a beer or a coffee whenever is possible.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Naalowls" is a PERFECT example of why the DR will always remain a "Developing" Coun

try!
Their response to ANY criticizm of their "beloved" Homeland(Which they die by the hundreds every year trying to leave!)is as follows:
1., "It's not true!"
2 "You are a lier!"
3.,"Everybody else does it too!"

Wouldn't it be a refreshing change to one day hear a Dominican accept just a little responsibility for the ills of their own doing?
I will give Leonel Fernandez that credit! He listed all the problems brought on by the Dominican People themselves,and listed how to attempt to solve them.He is their only hope!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

After reading "Capo's" post,I nominate him for Minister of the Interior of the DR! A Dominican? who actually "Gets It"!?????????? CC

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Criss Colon, a perfect example of an expatriate that talks and talks...

but whose actions say something else.

He keeps saying "Dominicans need to take responsibility in order to develope" , "Dominicans need to this or that".

However, when the sun is ready to set this guy picks up a young girl from Capotillo to help support the prostitution industry, an industry that is exacerbated by the economic conditions of this country.

In addition to that, Mr. Colon have said in the past numerous times that the only thing that keeps him here are the girls, I have no doubt in my mind he means the prostitutes.

Hmm, contradicting isn't? I mean, the prostitution industry is exacerbated by the economic conditions (which makes prostitutes bountiful, especially since there is a demand for them, Criss Colon taking a small part into create that demand).

So, why would Criss Colon want for Dominicans to truly develop? I mean, that would mean an end to the very easy prostitutes he indulges, that means an increase in the cost of the one activity of pleasure that keeps him on this island?

Oh, I guess he is just talking on the basis that Dominicans will never develop and as such, he would just say "XYZ" for the sake of saying it. I'll bet that if the DR did manage to develop within his lifetime, he would probably be packing his bags and moving elsewhere with a dissapointment that his days with the mulattas are over.

I don't support prostitution and I am against it, but a person who indulges in it in a country whose prostitution dilemma is link to its dire economic status, that would simply mean that his "tips" for a better DR are simply filled with air and no real meaning behind it.

I just don't like hypocrites!

BTW, if the DR wants to really develop, all we have to do is become a bit more protectionist until our industries flourish furthermore. It will cause living expenses to rise temporarily, but its worth it especially when the when we are able to open our economy and not have to worry about foreign powerful companies taking us hostage because our industries were too fragile to survive such anslaught.