buses from santo domingo to punta cana

owen1521

Sep 1, 2004
does any one know if the buses from santo domingo airport to punta cana are running? im flying into santo domingo on oct 16 on jet blue ( 2:30 am landing but saving 380 bucks) and want to make sure i can get to the paradisus in punta cana. any info will help.

thanks
owen

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
They are not running since there are no buses at the Santo Domingo airport to anywhere, anytime.

A poor choice of airports for Punta Cana and at 2:30 a.m. even worse.

You will have to get to the capital (25 miles away), by taxi I suppose, and get the Santo Domingo to Bavaro or Higuey buses (search for the many threads that discuss these buses) , and I think since you will be in the city in the middle of the night you will wait a long time for the bus to get ready to go. A scary proposition if I ever heard one.

Maybe you can find out if that bus stops on the highway in Boca Chica en route then take a taxi to Boca, 10 Km/$18 and stay at a hotel until the bus comes by. Very late check in e.g. and a very early departure. Or the cabanas near the interchange east of Boca Chica and walk to the highway in the morning. Or cabanas at San Isidro near the capital.

Or take a taxi to Punta Cana and each way you should use up most of the $390 doing that.

wim

Jan 10, 2002
There is a bridge out near Higuey . You need to cross the river in a bridge only for the feet . Best is buy a flyticket to Punta Cana from the airport in Santo Domingo .

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
My 2 cents worth

As you will be arriving late I suggest you get a room in Boca Chica as that is close to the airport and sleep in. Check in at the hotels are in the afternoon so you have enough time to get some sleep, walk out to the highway and get a public trans bus to Higuey and on to your hotel. That is IMHO or you can change your destination.

Rick ;)

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
A real get what you pay for scenario with this Jet Blue mania I must say. Flying into the wrong city 150 miles away at 2:30 in the morning for $380 is a major drag especially when you remember they leave at 3 in the a.m. so you have to do the same thing in reverse.

I wonder if they flew to San Juan for a $600 savings if you'd go there and take a yola to Punta Cana?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
As of yesterday there was still no direct bus transportation to Punta Cana because they can't cross on the temporary bridge that's being installed. I would recommend checking out the possibilities of flying from Santo Domingo to Punta Cana, should cost around US$100. The bus that goes from Santo Domingo to Punta Cana direct does not stop anywhere else besides the bus terminal and a quick stop in Parque Enriquillo, both in Santo Domingo. I suggest taking a cab from the airport to a nearby hotel, many people can recommend you one, then a cab to the Herrera Airport to catch a local flight to Punta Cana. I personally think it's the best and safest idea.

Good luck!

Jan 9, 2004
owen1521 said:
does any one know if the buses from santo domingo airport to punta cana are running? im flying into santo domingo on oct 16 on jet blue ( 2:30 am landing but saving 380 bucks) and want to make sure i can get to the paradisus in punta cana. any info will help.

thanks
owen

Owen: Having returned from Punta Cana on the 25th and having experienced first hand the transportation problems caused by the bridge being out at the Chavon river, my advice to you upon landing is to go into the capital (about 30 minutes west of the airport) and spend the rest of the night and perhaps some of the next day there. Then I would contact either Air Santo Domingo or one of the other charter services (Takeoff) and fly into and eventually out of Punta Cana.

Understand that these airlines are at Hererra airport which is actually in Santo Domingo, so upon your return from Punta Cana you will need to budget enough time to take a taxi from Hererra to Las Americas airport which is where JetBlue is located (I do not believe there is direct service to Punta Cana from Las Americas where you will initially be landing).

With the destruction of the bridge over the Chavon river and your late arrival time, I believe this to be your best option. Unfortunately, as was pointed out already, your savings will be nullified by the extra expenses you will be incurring.

By the way, if you have never been there, Paradisus is an excellent choice.

Best of Luck,
Playacaribe2

manageout

Oct 1, 2006
are you sure it is santo domingo on jet blue? i thought it was only santiago via jetblue?