just curious

lwink710

Oct 1, 2004
its my first trip to the dr.i was just curious if its a problem smoking weed in your room.i know its against the law.i just want to know in the privacy of your room if its a problem.

thanks for your help

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
It is a big big problem that you do not want to have to deal with. Chances are high that you will be caught. Do not enter the Dominican Republic with drugs, nor purchase them locally unless you want to turn your vacation in paradise to vacation in hell.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Go to Jamaica

lwink710 said:
its my first trip to the dr.i was just curious if its a problem smoking weed in your room.i know its against the law.i just want to know in the privacy of your room if its a problem.

thanks for your help

Due yourself a favor and rent the Movie "Midnight Express"

Picture it as 10 times worse in the Prisons here in the DR!

And then decide for yourself ( You have been warned )

Gringo

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
lwink710 said:

thanks for your help
People will smell it and if you do happen to get caught, your worst nightmare will be about to begin.
If you remember that movie, "Orient Express", you will have an idea of what you're getting yourself into, only our prisons don't even feed you.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Dont even think about bringing anything in with you, chances are you wont even make it past the airport. If you happen to "come across" something here, be very careful and dont think for a second that if someone sees or smells it, they will turn a blind eye. Not encouraging you but if you're going to do it anyways, just be careful. "Maryj" isnt prevalent here like it is in N. America.

Drugs of any kind are "taboo" here and the cops would love to find a foreigner with drugs so they can extort $$$ from them.

Best thing to do would be to forget the drugs and just get hammered....

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Rocky said:
If you remember that movie, "Orient Express", you will have an idea of what you're getting yourself into, only our prisons don't even feed you.

You mean he'll meet Hercule Poirot and be a suspect in several murders on a luxury train journey??? ;)

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
gjsuk said:
You mean he'll meet Hercule Poirot and be a suspect in several murders on a luxury train journey??? ;)

Not to mention a slight twist into illegal drug trade.

My advice...Dominican Republic is infested with drugs, specially coke. Its not that hard to find, but chances are Cops and dealers alike will jump at any chance to make it hard on a tourist. If you're lucky they'll clean you out and leave you pennyless and drugless.
Not worth it, just enjoy the beer and the rhum.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Lechero said:
Rent "Midnight Express". 1978
http://www.prisonflicks.com/reviews.php?filmID=61

This will scare you away from doing anything silly!

Rocky: "Murder on The Orient Express is a murder mystery by Agatha Christie, also a great flick!
I wondered about that, then I thought I was confusing it with Midnight Cowboy.

Although I forgot the title, the movie marked me for the rest of my life.
No prison for me, thank you very much...

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
lwink710,
the people offering to find some for you will be cops. If not, they will know cops. You will not get any weed, but the fact you entered into a conversation about it has you marked.
The penalty for totally innocent people is between 4 months (if you have friends in government back home) to 18 months if you have friends pushing for you here, to 3 years if you have no-one. That is incarceration. The penalty for guilty people is................need I go on? So if 7 years for a conversation only sounds a good deal..........

jille

Aug 21, 2004
lwink710 said:

thanks for your help
I had a room mate who found some in a beach town, while traveling. he brought it back to where we were living and it tasted like ****, beyond schwaggy,so I don't think it is even worth risking it.

Nachi

Jul 3, 2004

While on vacatin, I heard a story about some journalist from the states who was caught, and given 7 years immediately, and I hear the prisons (like many already mentioned) are terrible. So if I were you I wouldn't even try it. You don't need it, go have fun (smoke cigars and get hammered) but don't get high. You are just asking for trouble!.. Take care

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
To add onto the pile, I wouldn't suggest it in any way. Even the motoconcho dudes are to be suspected to possibly setting you up for the cops. Ignore all offers regarding this, no matter how much of a weedhead you might be.

A young lady that I became acquainted with, had her own little stash, and we did partake in my hotel suite. It helped that we were the only people in that wing of the hotel. No one to complain. Made for a great time together. :devious:

Still I wouldn't suggest it. The consequences in the DR......whew!!! Not worth it. :paranoid:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This is your A-hole now: ?

This is your A-hole if caught (and you will be caught): O

Get the picture?

Not here, not now. You are a sitting duck for some dude to get in gold star from the local cops...

HB :(:(:(:(

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
lwink710 said:

thanks for your help

Bake some brownies, putthem in Tupperware and enjoy yourself

I'm not doubting the severity of the DR on drugs, but to compare it to Turkish Hashis smuggling is insane

Other than two (2) stories I have read about Canadians on this board, doe anyone know personally of any people going to jail for posession, not trafficing?

This is simply a question, not an endorsement for smoking, no need for any of you to get all "smoked up" over this

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Argo said:

I'm not doubting the severity of the DR on drugs, but to compare it to Turkish Hashis smuggling is insane

Other than two (2) stories I have read about Canadians on this board, doe anyone know personally of any people going to jail for posession, not trafficing?

This is simply a question, not an endorsement for smoking, no need for any of you to get all "smoked up" over this

Hey lwink, don't get any bright ideas about brownies, it's probably been tried and caught, you better off sticking a dime bag or two up your a** so you can make it past customs. Also, when the police come banging down your hotel room you can stickem right back up there, see no evidence, no crime :classic:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Just not worth it.

No matter how much you might enjoy the stuff, it just ain't worth it.
Any suggestions of smuggling it in by any means, are either jokes or bad advice.
To buy it here is equally dangerous, as the tourists are the perfect victims to bust. They have money and are willing to part with it rather than spend 10 years in a Dominican jail. So the very vendor who sells you the stuff will be the guy who turns you in, as he will get a cut of the action.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Argo said:

Yes, to answer the question. I know people who have gone to jail both for possessing & NOT possessing, if you get me (viz they were innocent, still went to jail). If you read archives on the Stuart Ratner case (he was exonnerated after 14 months in jail) you will see there was a security guard also arrested. He is STILL there.......awaiting for the case to be heard!

Last night i was stopped by a motoconcho outside my apartment, he was offering me drugs "hello my friend, you want some fiiine coca man? yes? verry good." I told him no im not interested, i like to watch the movie "midnight express" Not to experience it.

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
Lambada said:
Yes, to answer the question. I know people who have gone to jail both for possessing & NOT possessing, if you get me (viz they were innocent, still went to jail). If you read archives on the Stuart Ratner case (he was exonnerated after 14 months in jail) you will see there was a security guard also arrested. He is STILL there.......awaiting for the case to be heard!

Sorry, thought Ratner was Canadian and one to which I referred

I do know several "friends", not the brightest in town, that regularly take dope with them to the DR on holiday with no problem. I'm not advocating it, just appears that many stories I read here are from "friends of friends" (Yours not included, I read that one quite thoroughly)