Are sankies exclusive to the DR?

latinarubia

Mar 6, 2003
I haven't travelled all that much but why is it that this behaviour seems to be so popular in the DR? This is obviously a DR forum where more people would express the issue pertaining specifically to the DR but have others witnessed this magnitude of sankieism elsewhere?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Are sankies exclusive to the DR?

Absolutely NOT!
Sankie or gigalo, scammers, users, abusers are everywhere in the world but because this message board is about the DR it just seems like that's the only place.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
latinarubia said:
I haven't travelled all that much but why is it that this behaviour seems to be so popular in the DR? This is obviously a DR forum where more people would express the issue pertaining specifically to the DR but have others witnessed this magnitude of sankieism elsewhere?

Nope, it occurs in other tourist destinations in the Carribean, particularly Cuba and Jamaica.

Angel_04

Sep 20, 2004
Girl, definately NOT! Anna is completely right.. there are "SANKY-TYPES" everywhere around the world. Do a bit more travelling and you shall see. Hell, I am sure that if you look around in your own country you will see that there are pro husslers, thieves, scammers etc. everywhere. I think it's just that the tourist areas seem to be places where these people find "easier" targets! Go to any Caribbean island and you will see that there are sankies "working it" there too!

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Remember Dirty Dancing -

Sankies etc. are avalible worldwide - you can find them any place there is a high level of tourists. Imagine they exist in such places as Las Vegas, New York, Orlando, and even beautiful Whistler.

The only thing that the dominican republic has on them all is they have a special name - Sanky. Never heard it used anywhere else.

stormer

Apr 27, 2004
A.J. said:
Sankies etc. are avalible worldwide - you can find them any place there is a high level of tourists. Imagine they exist in such places as Las Vegas, New York, Orlando, and even beautiful Whistler.

The only thing that the dominican republic has on them all is they have a special name - Sanky. Never heard it used anywhere else.

He-he this is so true, and especially about the Sankie part. But ladies beware, they are not as crafty in other "hot" destinations. When I was in Mexico this year I almost laughed at how un-professional their sankism was. :eek:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sankies/Sanky Panky/Hanky Panky

latinarubia said:
In one sense, they are exclusive to the DR, as this is the only place where they are called by that name.
When I first moved here, they were called "sanky pankies".
It would seem that they had trouble pronouncing "hanky panky" that they commonly heard from the tourists here, and would offer their wares, mispronouncing it as "sanky panky", which later got shortened to just Sanky".
At that time, they all had long braided hair. That was their trademark.
When the government decided to clean up the streets of prostitutes and sankies, some odd 8 years ago, the sankies all rushed to the barber to cut their dreadlocks off.
Now they dress a bit New York street style and frequently have earrings.
What is distinct about them is that most of them will swing both ways for the right amount of money, whereas a gigolo from elsewhere might not.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Jinetero/a in Cuba

in Cuba sankies are called 'jinetera' or 'jinetero' from the word 'jinete' which means 'jockey'. Indeed, they are riding on the back of the tourists trying to get as much money or presents from them as long as the vacation lasts.
Bartolomeo

latinarubia

Mar 6, 2003
I have to say that my experierences in Cuba did not compare to the Sankies gone wild in the DR but then again that was only in Varadero where the locals are always under a watchful eye. I know it's a silly question as this sort of thing is typical in resorts all over the world but this behaviour is not limited to just the hotel workers, that locals at clubs or bars are no better.

Angel_04

Sep 20, 2004
NY1 "How do you think Stella Got Her Groove Back?" <-hahahahahaha NY1 Damn, that was hilarious! lol. Stella got "sankified"! :p

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Angel_04 said:
NY1 "How do you think Stella Got Her Groove Back?" <-hahahahahaha NY1 Damn, that was hilarious! lol. Stella got "sankified"! :p

Actually if I remember the story right Stella didn't get sankified. He was a gorgeous rich young man from a well to do family and she was the one that felt out of place.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Oh, yes...she did!!!

I love watching that movie, especially after coming back from DR...

Of course, the actor is much better looking than most of the 'sankies' in DR...and educated...but he's soooo good trying to seduce her!!!

In response to the original question...no, sankies are not exclusive to the DR, not even to the Caribbean...read the following link...

http://www.maddogproductions.com/bali10.htm

Skip all the way to where they talk about Bali Boys...it's hilarious!!!

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
you are wrong

In the movie Stella, the guy (taye diggs) was not a sankie.

he came from good to do family and was not trying to scam her.

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
Whats a sankie?

Seriously, what is a sankie? Is it like a chupa cabra?

Last edited:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Chuba Cabra?

capodominicano said:
Seriously, what is a sankie? Is it like a chuba cabra?
A sankie is a gigolo.
I suppose you meant chupa?
And, no, it has nothing to do with that particular activity with a goat.

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
So it only relates to guys, what is a women called? A puta or is there another name? Seriously is a puta and a sankie the same?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
capodominicano said:
So it only relates to guys, what is a women called? A puta or is there another name? Seriously is a puta and a sankie the same?
I think they've been named sankiettes :cross-eye

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sankies vs Putas

capodominicano said:
As you are a Dominican yourself, I suppose you are just kidding around when you ask the question, but for the benefit of those who do not know, there is a vast difference in the general comportment of a sankie and a puta.
Usually a puta asks for a certain amount of money for a specific sexual act for a specified amount of time, whereas a sankie plays the con game, romancing his prey with stories of love, then tries to manipulate his victim into giving him whatever he wants.