University Level courses taught in English?

Cindyee

Oct 7, 2004

Hello Everyone

I was born in the Dominican Republic but left when I was 4 yrs old to the island of Sint Maarten, where I got my schooling. Everything is taught in English and/or Dutch here, I speak Chinese with my parents and so you can imagine that the level of my Spanish isn't too high.

I've already finished secondary school and I had planned to further my studies in the Netherlands but there were too many hiccups along the way and so I have decided to put that on hold.

Only recently had i been back to my home island and I must say that I love it. I was thinking of pursuing higher education there but I can't seem to find any information on any of the Universities in Santo Domingo offering courses taught in English.

I am interested in the Business field, so if anyone has ANY information as what possibilties there are for me to continue my studies there on that beautiful island, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks alot.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
not that I know of

Cindyee said:

Hello Everyone

I was born in the Dominican Republic but left when I was 4 yrs old to the island of Sint Maarten, where I got my schooling. Everything is taught in English and/or Dutch here, I speak Chinese with my parents and so you can imagine that the level of my Spanish isn't too high.

I've already finished secondary school and I had planned to further my studies in the Netherlands but there were too many hiccups along the way and so I have decided to put that on hold.

Only recently had i been back to my home island and I must say that I love it. I was thinking of pursuing higher education there but I can't seem to find any information on any of the Universities in Santo Domingo offering courses taught in English.

I am interested in the Business field, so if anyone has ANY information as what possibilties there are for me to continue my studies there on that beautiful island, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks alot.

There are a number of options for English speakers through the secondary school level, but I am not aware of any at the university level. Let's face it, the language spoken in the DR is SPANISH. I'm not aware of universities where I live in the US offering studies tought in Spanish either. Translation services, yes. While you may not be confident in your Spanish skills, the fact is that students go to foreign countries to study all the time, often arriving with minimal knowledge of the native tongue. They utilize translators initially, but are expected to "sink or swim" and under these circumstances, you'd be surprised how fast you'll learn. Sure it's a challenge, but since you have expressed how much you you love it in the DR, consider this an opportunity to learn the language on a "fast track".

Pomli

Sep 17, 2004
Hey Cyndee, are you Chinese?
I am, but born in Canada from parents who immigrated there!
Anyways, so weird to hear that there are Chinese people in St. Marteen!!! So weird to think that truly they are all over the world!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As far as I know

Only Medicine is taught in English at two places in Santo Domingo: Unibe and Utesa. The latter is a total loss but Unibe seems to do okay.

The more prestigious universities like PUCMM (www.pucmmsti.edu.co & www.pucmm.edu.do) and Intec teach in Spanish. However, their graduates generally do well in English language graduate Schools.

I don't know what to recommend to you . Unless you are willing to spiff up your Spanish there does not seem to be much for you here. And if your parents can read this: YOur daughter, since she was born here, can get a university degree for less than US$1000 a year in tuition and fees. Living expense for a student can be as little as $150 a month. there is no greater bargain in education.

HB, the educator

Cindyee

Oct 7, 2004
Thanks to all those who have replied so far. I had a feeling that my chances were pretty slim to none but it didn't hurt to ask, right? ;)

sweetdbt: I think I will work on my rusty Spanish... not that I mind at all, since it is a beautiful language.

Hillbilly: Thanks for your info :) My parents can't read English btw, but I'll be sure to pass on the message. Thanks again.

Pomli: Yes, I'm Chinese and yes, Chinese are alll over the world :p
Amazing, huh?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
which dialect?

Cindyee said:
Thanks to all those who have replied so far. I had a feeling that my chances were pretty slim to none but it didn't hurt to ask, right? ;)

sweetdbt: I think I will work on my rusty Spanish... not that I mind at all, since it is a beautiful language.

Hillbilly: Thanks for your info :) My parents can't read English btw, but I'll be sure to pass on the message. Thanks again.

Pomli: Yes, I'm Chinese and yes, Chinese are alll over the world :p
Amazing, huh?

Cindyee,

Which Chinese dialect do you speak? I have 2 co-workers who are from Taiwan and they speak Manderin. I'm not a linguist, but it seems that compared to the languages you already speak, Spanish should be a piece of cake to learn, and now is the time to do it, while you are young. For me, on the downhill side of 50, it has been a bit tough, especially as I have no Spanish speaking friends here in the states, and only get to practice while on vacation in the DR. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that when I retire there in 2 years I will be able to become reasonably fluent in spite of creeping senility. Best wishes.

Cindyee

Oct 7, 2004
I speak Cantonese and understand quite a bit of Mandarin, although my pronounciation needs to be worked on. And I do agree, Spanish isn't too difticult to learn. But the idea of me following courses taught in Spanish seems challenging to me, since it isn't my first tongue. Nonetheless, I will do my best when the time comes to it.
Don't worry, when you retire on that wonderful island and are surrounded by people who'll address you in Spanish, you will pick up in no time. Good luck! ;)

Pomli

Sep 17, 2004
Hi Cyndee
Oh sweet you do speak Cantonese also! I've been thinking that oh no another person who speaks mandarin(just tired not finding people speaking my dialect)! Anyhow, Spanish is not that hard, trust me! As soon as you are in the environment where Spanish is only spoken, you are kind of obligated to submit yourself to the language and you will improve quite fast. I did that, three years ago, switching from French high school to English college. It had been two hard years because I was still living in a French environment, but I am not complaining, cauz now I am happy to study in the one of the best renowned English university here and to be able to communicate with much more people around the world! I can also give another examples; my former roomates in their thirties who are straight from China now speak perfect French after one year of stay. They amazed me, cauz before I was only talking to them in English and now I feel pretty weird to hold conversation in French with them! They did not know any words of French before they come here!
After Spanish, jump to French hehe! They have some similarities grammar and words. :p
Good luck for your studies. Studying is hard, but what you get from it at the end is precious and will stay with you all life. Don't give up upon the obstacles you meet!!!

and think about it, French, English, Spanish are not my mother tongue, only Cantonese! ;) Languages open so many doors to the world!!