Chavon Bridge.

franco

Nov 5, 2003
Hi!

What is the best way to get to Bavaro? We are leaving Santo Domingo tomorrow morning...

Thank you!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
franco said:
Hi!

What is the best way to get to Bavaro? We are leaving Santo Domingo tomorrow morning...

Thank you!

The ways to go are:

Route No. 1. Ferry over the Chavon river, where the former bridge stood.

Route No. 2. Bad?n de Guaymate. Instructions: Take the route that goes north of La Romana passing by Higueral until you reach Guaymate. Immediately after, double to the right entering by the cane fields in the direction of the Chavon River (Bad?n) continuing until you reach the Carretera Mella that will take you to Higuey and then to Bavaro.

Route No. 3. Baden Carrtetera Mella

Route No. 4. Cruce de El Cuey

Route No. 5 El Seibo-Miches-Nisib?n

This was posted by Arbaje Tours.

I would suggest you go the Guaymate route or take the ferry (cost RD$500).

Last edited:

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Ferry very slow!!!

franco said:
Dolores,

We will take the ferry!

Thank you very much!

Worst way to go is by ferry, fastest way to go is San Pedro, Hato Mayor, El Seybo, Higuey, Bavaro. Not one single pot hole!!!

If you choose the ferry, be prepared to wait for at least two hours.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Has anyone taken the La Romana-Guaymate-Higuey route? That would seem to me to be much shorter than the San Pedro-Hato Mayor-El Seibo-Higuey route. I understand the difference is in the road, but still, it looks like it would be a two hour drive difference.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Dolores said:
Has anyone taken the La Romana-Guaymate-Higuey route? That would seem to me to be much shorter than the San Pedro-Hato Mayor-El Seibo-Higuey route. I understand the difference is in the road, but still, it looks like it would be a two hour drive difference.

Hi Dolores,

I took that route 2 days ago and needed 3 1/2 hours from Santo Domingo to Bavaro. Some other friends did it the same way (both directions) and needed about the same time.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
mido said:
Hi Dolores,

I took that route 2 days ago and needed 3 1/2 hours from Santo Domingo to Bavaro. Some other friends did it the same way (both directions) and needed about the same time.

Thank you, then the Guaymate route is the way to go. The trip before took about the same amount of time.

Those headed to Bayahibe instead of Bavaro, should consider another 45 minutes.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Dolores said:
Thank you, then the Guaymate route is the way to go. The trip before took about the same amount of time.

Those headed to Bayahibe instead of Bavaro, should consider another 45 minutes.

Can you give some details, I mean where to turn ect.?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
mido said:
Can you give some details, I mean where to turn ect.?

See Route 2 explanation in the post made above. Once you get to La Romana, you take the northern route to Higueral, on to Guaymate and then Higuey, and then Bavaro to the east or Bayahibe to the west.

giles

Sep 15, 2004
bridge to Punta Cana

I was wondering if anybody knows that status of the bridge between Santo Domingo and Punta Cana that was knocked out of commission from Jeanne.

I'm planning a trip to the east in late November and want to know if and when it will be accessible.

thanks

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
giles said:
I was wondering if anybody knows that status of the bridge between Santo Domingo and Punta Cana that was knocked out of commission from Jeanne.

I'm planning a trip to the east in late November and want to know if and when it will be accessible.

thanks

It is still out. For now you have the option of waiting about 2 hours and paying RD500 for the ferry across or taking an alternate route. There is a thread here about it. I believe it is titled Chavon river bridge or something to that effect.

Syork

Sep 5, 2004
Bridge at Chavon River

I was just out there this morning and you can now walk across the river- they have built a causeway- so you can get down to the river- cross on foot and get a bus on the other side to Higuey and Punta Cana.

jnock

Sep 30, 2004
Chavron Bridge

mido said:
Worst way to go is by ferry, fastest way to go is San Pedro, Hato Mayor, El Seybo, Higuey, Bavaro. Not one single pot hole!!!

If you choose the ferry, be prepared to wait for at least two hours.

Can you still walk across the bridge?? Would like to take a cab from La Romana to bridge, walk across rather than wait 2 hours!!, then get a cab on the other side to Bayahibe. Does this sound doable? We arrive on Tuesday.
Thanks,Jane

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
jnock said:
Can you still walk across the bridge?? Would like to take a cab from La Romana to bridge, walk across rather than wait 2 hours!!, then get a cab on the other side to Bayahibe. Does this sound doable? We arrive on Tuesday.
Thanks,Jane

I think what he means is that the ferry is slow in loading cars -- many there is a long queue and thus the two hour wait.

But if you get a cab from La Romana to the bridge, then just walk over. Then you do not have to wait the two hours. And then you get transport to Bayahibe. This sounds doable. But I would suggest you travel light.

You may also contact your hotel to see if they are providing any extraordinary transportation facilities.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
The Chavon brigde close to El Seybo cannot be passed any more (washed away). Did anybody who is posting on this board try the Guaymate route?
And if you want to go from Bavaro to Santo Domingo, what is the exact route?

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
jnock said:
Thanks,Jane

No problem, you can go to the bridge, walk across and there are always cabs and buses waiting.
Charlie

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Guaymate route

Well, on Sunday was invited to a birthday at the Viva Wyndham Dominicus so made it over there for the day. Took the advice on this thread and went the Guaymate route. It is very doable and has been prepared. Would confirm this is the best way to go right now, as it is the shortest.

Exactly as said you take the route to La Romana. From La Romana you continue on the main highway, not turning south into La Romana, but continuing on to Higueral. You know you are in Higueral when you pass the Agrocarne manufacturing plant. Next, say about 15 more minutes, is Guaymate, a small town. There you will need to turn slightly to the right onto a dirt road. It has a small stack with a paper sign reading Higuey. Just go slowly after Guaymate, it is about two minutes after the town and you will see the dirt road.

You take that road for about 20-30 minutes or so through lovely cane fields. Here it can be tricky, but you get the feel. It can be tricky because there are places where there are two roads. There are small signs with a pink cloth around them, where you see them, that is the road to take.

This will take you to the bridge built over Chavon River, what they call a "bad?n". Take that bridge across. Next you will have to do another crossing through a very shallow river. This will bring you out at the point where you are 12 kms. from Higuey on a asphalt paved road. At that point, you are on the right track. Then it is another half an hour to get to Bayahibe (head west), or to Bavaro (head east), depending on where you are going.

I do not recommend taking this road at night because it would be difficult to see the small stack indicators on the road. While it is a dirt road, it has been conditioned and is fit for all kinds of vehicles.

chavon_13.jpg

chavon_14.jpg

chavon_15.jpg

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The barge (ferry)

On the return home from our trip to Bayahibe yesterday, decided to check out the barge that is making the crossing over Chavon for RD$500. A friend of ours told us that it was the better way to go. May I say that he must have traveled at an off peak time. We caught the peak time in crossing to La Romana (from 5 pm on Sunday). When we got there, there were 26 cars ahead of us -- it took us three hours to cross over -- the barge only has capacity for two vehicles (no cargo vehicles) at a time. The off peak time was in effect for those that were coming in the opposite direction that only had wait times of one hour, and by 7 pm the wait time was only half an hour, and then by 8 pm there was no wait time, so in the evening, yes it would have been the better way to go. Was told that the peak time crossing for those going from La Romana east is in the morning. A person who had done the crossing in the morning told us she had waited more than two hours. Were told that the barge will operate as long as there is a line of cars -- would say until about 9 pm on weekdays, although on Sunday must have worked until about 11 pm to handle all the vehicles that were waiting.

We got there are 6 pm and made the crossing over at 9 pm.

So, my recommendation would be to avoid peak travel times. If you see a long line, forget it. Return to Higuey and take hte Guaymate route.

chavon_10.jpg

chavon_11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
mido said:
The Chavon brigde close to El Seybo cannot be passed any more (washed away). Did anybody who is posting on this board try the Guaymate route?
And if you want to go from Bavaro to Santo Domingo, what is the exact route?

This was repaired on Sunday. This route is by the Cruce de Pavon, and it was explained to me that it is the route that was used by everyone until the Chavon bridge was built. This is the route used by buses and trucks. It is the longer route but it flows.

To answer your second question, see the posts above that explain your options: via El Seibo, via Guaymate, via ferry.

Arturo Sanchez

Aug 22, 2004
When will the bridge be back???

What is the ETA on the reconstruction of the bridge? I certainly hope this won't be going on for years! That's a really important road!