Seeking voluntary work placement

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A friend's daughter is on her Gap year (between finishing secondary school and starting university) and is working hard to save money for a stint of travelling. She is thinking about spending some time in the DR early next year, using our house as a base. If at all possible, she would like to do some useful voluntary work while she is here.

She is completely bilingual in English and Spanish (the family are English expats who have lived in Spain since she was about five years old). Her interests/skills include painting and photography, but work outside these areas would be OK. She is a mature, friendly and sensible 19 year old.

Does anyone have any advice or contacts?

Chami

Jul 2, 2004
You should get in touch with Alianza ONG. It`s a group of NGOs working in country on a wide range of development activities. And then of course, there are always the bigger NGOs that might have needs, ie Habitat for Humanity, World Vision, etc.

If not, they can give you suggestions.

Best of luck.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks for the replies so far, including those that arrived by PM. The larger NGOs I know do not place volunteers, especially young ones with no professional skills.

Orphanage Outreach looks very well organised but I don't think we can pay anything above her travel and subsistence costs while in the country.

I have several leads here, any other suggestions?

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
Chiri, I didn't mean for her to do the program. Since she is laready in the DR for hte summer, she should contact the Director, Tom, to see if he might have a way for her to volunteer for hte whole time, on a non-paying basis. Assuming he doesnt have to get her a plane ticket and housing, there is nothing to pay!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks for the clarification, Bugs. I will follow it up now. I have heard good things about them too.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Update

I can now report on what actually happened with my Gap year student, who left us yesterday.

She arrived here in early February, spent a couple of days acclimatising and then went to the campo for about a week to work in Mr Chiri's finca. She learned to make cheese and did general chores about the place. Made lots of local friends and learned to dance bachata, ride horses and motoconchos. An interesting 'deep campo' introduction to the DR which not that many people get to experience.

The main part of her visit was spent volunteering with Proyecto Guariquen in Las Galeras, Samana. They do community development, basic infrastructure and help local people develop tourist industry skills so they can start their own tourist-oriented enterprises or seek employment in the tourist sector. Guariquen have also developed eco-tourism projects, including Laguna Salada and an Iguanarium on the road to Playa Rincon, which are managed by local people with funding and guidance of Guariquen.

Anyway our young friend contributed her artistic skills and painted a mural and several signs for the project, as well as doing translations into English and some menial everyday chores. In return she got to spend a month in paradise with most of her costs covered. Both she and the project were very satisfied with the experience.

We were here 'in loco parentis' and there were no dramas or crises, much to my relief. She was not at all impressed by the sankies and their cheesy lines, and although she was a little worn down by all the comments and wolf-whistles on the street, she took it with good humour. Growing up tall, slim, blonde with blue eyes in the south of Spain is a good apprenticeship, I suppose.

All in all she loved the country and we are already 'planning' her next visit, because there remains so much more for her to see and do.

:cool: