Two Sore Topics: Columbus' Corpse and use of "The Dominican"

Apr 26, 2002
Yes, the AP managed to hit them both with one story:
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041011/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/dominican_columbus__graves

"Researchers studying genetic evidence from 500-year-old bone slivers said this month that preliminary data suggests Columbus might be buried in the Spanish city of Seville, though they said more testing was needed, especially in the Dominican, to be certain."

In regard to the first, I think the DR should let Spain have the S-O-B. If it's proven he's in the DR, let's do what should have been done in 1795 - ship him to Seville.

In regard to the second, I've got no problem with it. As wrong as it is, "the Dominican" sounds much more friendly, warm and familiar than "the Dominican Republic" - which, as it sounds in English, ranks right up there with the Central African Republic, the United Arab Emirates and, dare I say, the People's Democratic Republic of Korea, in warmth and friendliness. Think of it as a term of endearment.

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Please don't write or pronounce his name. Everyone knows he's a jinx. If you have to, please refer to him as The Admiral. However, I'm sure we have his bones, can`t be otherwise with all the bad luck this island has had.

Mirador

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
A newcomer to the DR, frustrated, struggling with "no hay lu" and all the other problems that one has to get used to when living here, quipped : "The Admiral? Of course! For sure he died here... He sailed here, took one look at the situation in this country and died on the spot! His heart failed, he could not stand it... " :classic:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
The DR doesn't have bad luck, just bad habits and bad administration.

And the term "The Dominican" doesn't bother me because it of the way it portrays this country, it bothers me because it makes the person saying it sound mildly retarded.

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
last time i saw the discovery channel special on who was clumbus, the scientists had concluded that the bones in seville were not of columbus but of diego , but now there is other speculation i hope his bones are in dr , that would justify el faro

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
not sure

FuegoAzul21 said:
last time i saw the discovery channel special on who was clumbus, the scientists had concluded that the bones in seville were not of columbus but of diego , but now there is other speculation i hope his bones are in dr , that would justify el faro

Not really sure anything can justify El Faro! No lights in parts of SD the other night, but the Farl burning brightly!!!!!! Enough Luz there to light the country. :tired:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Columbus

COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS, COLUMBUS,

There ya go.
Now go find something else to blame your self-inflicted problems on instead of defaming the name of one of the greatest person in History!

Tony C.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
What's so great about a guy who got lost, and died not even knowing what he supposedly 'discovered'? It's our bad luck that he (El Almirante) didn't land in Manhattan instead of this island...

Mirador

Apr 26, 2002
Tony C said:
Columbus Columbus Columbus ... [ad nauseum] ... Now go find something else to blame your self-inflicted problems on instead of defaming the name of one of the greatest person in History!
Sounding a bit like a broken record again, Tony - this time literally. Gosh, I read all of the above posts and couldn't find even one that suggested that Columbus was "to blame" for anything, other than for generally being an SOB.

You really ought to let a controversy or debate start before you chime in with your patented knee-jerk stuff. What was Sheakespeare's line: "The guilty flee'eth where no one'th pursue."

Last edited:

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
The Admiral

The Admiral wound up here by mistake and on his last trip was thrown in the dungeon (what is now Fortaleza Ozama) and sent back to Spain in chains. He was the main character of 'THE ENCOUNTER'; that's what it was since I'm not sure who discovered who.

Had he not done the deed at that time, someone else would have done it later. So now, after so many pages have been turned, it doesn't really matter. He suffered enough and we should leave him alone.

Sep 20, 2003
Some university students in caracus held a mock trial of columbus this week and declared him guilty of "Imperialist genocide". They then pulled his statue down off its marble pedestal, smashed it into pieces and scattered the bronze parts around a in front of a public building were President Chavez was going to give a speech. The students also painted "Columbus-Bush Out" on the remaing marble pedestal.

Chavez has renamed "Columbus Day" , "indian Resistence Day" and said that "Columbus was worse than Hitler."

Any chance that kind of thing will happen in the DR? :ermm: :ermm:

Thebes

Jun 18, 2004
joel pacheco said:
Some university students in caracus held a mock trial of columbus this week and declared him guilty of "Imperialist genocide". They then pulled his statue down off its marble pedestal, smashed it into pieces and scattered the bronze parts around a in front of a public building were President Chavez was going to give a speech. The students also painted "Columbus-Bush Out" on the remaing marble pedestal.

Chavez has renamed "Columbus Day" , "indian Resistence Day" and said that "Columbus was worse than Hitler."

Any chance of a link (English prefered) to a news story on this?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
joel pacheco said:

Any chance that kind of thing will happen in the DR? :ermm: :ermm:

Chavez is not saying or doing much that is new there. There was a lot of brouhaha around the quincentennial celebrations and the inauguration of the Columbus Lighthouse in 1992. As part of the "500 a?os de resistencia" campaign, led by indigenous groups throughout the Americas, there was a fair amount of protest by Dominican groups. In one memorable occasion, the late artist and veteran left-wing activist Silvano Lora - dressed as an Indian - rowed a canoe to meet the replicas of Columbus's fleet. When the authorities pursued him, his canoe keeled over and he ended up in the drink.

Adverse to the Spanish discovery and colonialisation, he materialised in countless works the suffering of the indigenous people and the African slaves, and unforgettable was the sexagenarian Silvano Lora receiving, in 1992, the Spanish school ship with bow and arrow, from a canoe, falling in the water and being rescued by a young sailor from the native motherland!
from his obituary

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Mildly retarded? Perhaps to you.

MrMike said:
And the term "The Dominican" doesn't bother me because it of the way it portrays this country, it bothers me because it makes the person saying it sound mildly retarded.
You must be easily bothered.

Why do some people get so bent out of shape over this?

People often refer to the United States of America as the States, the U.S., and simply America but they don't get assaulted for it.

Such short forms, especially considering the simple reality that they are being used while typing on internet chat forums, seem perfectly fine to me.
It seems more like some bored people are looking for slights that do not exist.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I read in a Venezuelan newspaper that President Chavez declared the toppling of Columbus' statue an 'act of vandalism', and those responsible have been jailed. However, he has a lot of responsibility when on the 12th of October he honored the indian chieftain Guaicaipuro in the National Pantheon with a representation of local indian tribes dressed in traditional garb.

Mirador

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Yes, the statue is the work of an Italian sculptor, circa 1890, and the government will install it back on its site, however, groups who say they represent the aborigines have vowed to take it back down. The plot thickens ;-)

Mirador

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
I think it was very immature what they did in Venezuela. If Colombus wouldn't have sailed across the seas most of todays world wouldn't exist, half of us wouldn't exist, no DR, USA, etc.
I won't defend, condemned or condone the guy because none of us never met him, we don't know his actions and what his beliefs were towards the Native Americans. History is written by winners, some see him as a hero, others as a villian. If his corspe is in DR, maybe when the world loves him again (it changes by generation) it can be a big tourist attraction, if it isn't so what, he was not born in DR.
On the Dominican, I don't like it because of Dominica the little island nation. We Dominicans are always getting confused with that little island, we should change the whole Dominican Republic name, what do you think, most Dominicans call it Quesqueya anyway. No more Dominican!! ;)

Peace,
Capo :rambo:

wventura

Oct 21, 2003
capodominicano said:
If Colombus wouldn't have sailed across the seas most of todays world wouldn't exist.

It would exist, but it would just be very different.

I won't defend, condemned or condone the guy because none of us never met him, we don't know his actions and what his beliefs were towards the Native Americans.

??? His actions and his beleifs are VERY well documented (Personal Diaries, ect). He thought very little of native americans, and considered them to be perfect people to enslave.

Last edited: