Visitor's Visa

kelly2

Mar 10, 2004
My boyfriend has an appointment next week for a visitor's visa and I have a few questions... I know chances are slim, but we are giving it a try.

1. Is it necessary to write a letter of invitation if I am attending the appointment with him? If so, what information needs to be included in it?

2. I am currently working in the DR, is that at all helpful in this process?

3. What can we expect at the appointment?

4. Will we find out that day?

5. What are the conditions of the visa? Is it a one time deal, or 10 years?

I have read everything I can find on the web... but these are questions that I am getting mixed answers on.

If anyone has any advice, stories, etc... I welcome them!

Thanking you in advance!

NYWELSH1

Oct 7, 2004
visa

My girl freind got turned down for the visitor visa in september.
First of all they wouldnt let me in the counsel she was in there about
2 hours she said every one got turned down there i did write a afidaffid of support and they turned her down flat . I have since been all over the web and found this out . HE needs to show famliy ties to dr property
land ect to make him come back and show a lot more than they are asking for as far as money in the bank . the fact that you are working threre might help if you have your employer write a letter saying that you have the job and are going back to the dr for that posistion .. Once again it it s very hard . This time i am going to get her a student visa for 2nd lan englsih
in new york with a School to sponser and i am putting about 10,000 us in
her bank plus the wait time for a student visa is only 3 days as of now

kelly2

Mar 10, 2004
Is this common that they won't let you in? When he has talked to people, they say it is better that I go with him. What kinds of questions did they ask? What other proof should he bring?

Did they give her a reason for not giving her a visa?

NYWELSH1

Oct 7, 2004
visa

kelly2 said:
Is this common that they won't let you in? When he has talked to people, they say it is better that I go with him. What kinds of questions did they ask? What other proof should he bring?

Did they give her a reason for not giving her a visa?

They never let me in .. she took afidaffid my tax returns they never looked at them .. just looked at her bank ballance and said no !!!!!!!!!!!!!
very quick i am now getting her a student visa only 3 days wait for that
your situation is differnt as you are working there ..

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
good luck

NYWELSH1 said:
My girl freind got turned down for the visitor visa in september.
First of all they wouldnt let me in the counsel she was in there about
2 hours she said every one got turned down there i did write a afidaffid of support and they turned her down flat . I have since been all over the web and found this out . HE needs to show famliy ties to dr property
land ect to make him come back and show a lot more than they are asking for as far as money in the bank . the fact that you are working threre might help if you have your employer write a letter saying that you have the job and are going back to the dr for that posistion .. Once again it it s very hard . This time i am going to get her a student visa for 2nd lan englsih
in new york with a School to sponser and i am putting about 10,000 us in
her bank plus the wait time for a student visa is only 3 days as of now

I wish you well in your efforts, but must point out that unfortunately, although having $ in the bank is a requirement, they will examine her statements, not just look at her balance. What they are looking for is a pattern of funds being accumulated over time, not the sudden appearence of $10,000US. This will put up a huge red flag, and they will know where it came from (ie, that it is not really her money).

NYWELSH1

Oct 7, 2004
visa

who said i was going to put in all at once or with one bank acount !!
plus this is for a student visa a few people who have got the visa both
told me they do not look at her statements they look at the f1...

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
NYWELSH1 said:
who said i was going to put in all at once or with one bank acount !!
plus this is for a student visa a few people who have got the visa both
told me they do not look at her statements they look at the f1...

Like I said, good luck! I really mean it. I wish you well. :classic: I've just heard too many stories from men who thought they could trick the system, which is set up to only issue visas to Dominicans who have legitimate financial incentives to return. When I used the term "all at once" I was speaking relatively, as in a relatively short period of time as opposed to being accumulated by saving from earnings over a period of months or years. I'm assuming you don't want to wait that long. If the standards for a student visa are different than for a tourists/visitors visa, then why do they bother looking at the bank balance at all? I truly hope you prove me wrong. I'm not saying you shouldn't try,and the only reason I took the time to write this is to prepare you for the likelihood of disappointment.

NYWELSH1

Oct 7, 2004
visa

sweetdbt said:
Like I said, good luck! I really mean it. I wish you well. :classic: I've just heard too many stories from men who thought they could trick the system, which is set up to only issue visas to Dominicans who have legitimate financial incentives to return. When I used the term "all at once" I was speaking relatively, as in a relatively short period of time as opposed to being accumulated by saving from earnings over a period of months or years. I'm assuming you don't want to wait that long. If the standards for a student visa are different than for a tourists/visitors visa, then why do they bother looking at the bank balance at all? I truly hope you prove me wrong. I'm not saying you shouldn't try,and the only reason I took the time to write this is to prepare you for the likelihood of disappointment.
i am not trying to be stupid about things its just 2 speprate people
off and on this board have told me they only look at the visa form
they excpet the fact that the school has done there home work
the only thing then is to convince then on returing 1 person said
they tried to make them nervous the other one said no the same questions
she just has to have the correct answers and we will see after that
we will see but yes i am expecting the worse but i have plan b ready anyway
thanks for your imput ..Paul

kelly2

Mar 10, 2004
Despite the odds... he got the visa! I am happy, and very surprised! It's for 3 months. He has to return with a letter to the consulate when he returns to the DR. Does anyone know if he has to make another appointment thru Banco Popular for this? In his excitement he forgot to ask!

Thanks!

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
kelly2 said:
Despite the odds... he got the visa! I am happy, and very surprised! It's for 3 months. He has to return with a letter to the consulate when he returns to the DR. Does anyone know if he has to make another appointment thru Banco Popular for this? In his excitement he forgot to ask!

Thanks!

That's good - maybe you could briefly list what you and your b/f did that led to the success.

wunderone

May 12, 2004
Wow! Congratulations!

That is fantastic.

kelly2 said:

Thanks!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
That's good news. Not often seen on this board. What kind of letter does he need?

Happy for you ;)

Last edited:

kelly2

Mar 10, 2004
He received a letter along with his visa stating that he needs to return to the consulate (upon his return to the DR) with that letter and hand deliver it to the woman who granted him the visa. She will then extend the visa.

SO my question is... Does he have to apply for another date, or can he just go?

I never thought that he would get it, but we decided to try. He had everything organized in a binder, and the lady commented on the organization. He explained that he wanted to go for Xmas to visit my family. They asked for his bank records and that was the only thing he left in POP. I copied my new passport and sent my old one with him. He had a letter from his job stating his salary and that they would grant him a vacation to travel. He had his birth certificate and proof of address. He has no family members in the US and he has children in the DR. So, I don't know what the deciding factor was, but after reading all the posts, I did not think he had a chance.

But he is coming to NY for Christmas... and with the weather that time of year, I am sure he will want to return to the DR quickly.

mobilejewlz

Oct 28, 2004
Visitor Visa.....Student Visa

Ok Kelly2,
Is there anyway for you to give the scoop on what really happens during this visa processing. I have a boyfriend in DR that is planning on applying for a visitor visa for this summer. And for some reason he is just not pressed. I keep hearing all these horror stories about how he'll never get one to the point where I am about to be really stressed. Some people have said he should try a student visa because he's a student. Are student visa's for college students only? He's not in college. It's sooooo nerve recking. Please help the couple trying to figure out the best route......

kelly2

Mar 10, 2004
Well, sorry this has taken so long. But I really think it is a crap shoot. I never thought that he would get it as he wasn't a great candidate, but he did. They didn't even ask for too much.

Now I have another question. He got the visa, we travelled to the US for Christmas and now he has another date in April. So my question is...

Has anyone gone through the second process to renew the visa? He had the first one for 3 months, will the next one be longer? Any experiences will be appreciated.

Thanks!

kelly2

Mar 10, 2004
One more thing...

Once you have a visitor's visa to the US is there a process to obtain something to Canada to visit for a few days, or do you have to go through the whole process again?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
kelly2 said:
One more thing...

Once you have a visitor's visa to the US is there a process to obtain something to Canada to visit for a few days, or do you have to go through the whole process again?

It is called a visitors visa with the same obligations and application details and expectations, and Canada gave out around 200 to Dominicans the last time I checked the Government of Canada stats. Little chance of success there.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
She was extremely lucky....

This is indeed a rare case. I am happy for her. I just hope that 40 more people on the board don't get the idea this will circumvent the fiance or marriage visa process. USCIS takes a cery dim view of anyone trying to get around the system and it can ultimately affect your marriage based visa (if you do that) later on.

Again, congrats! You are very lucky.

-Tim