Property title problems

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Hello,

Two years ago I bought an appartment in Santo Domingo. The appartment was sold to me by a salesman of local branch of international real estate broker. In first instance I tried to get a small loan in a Asociacion to not pay transfer tax. However, it took me so much trouble to get this loan, and I found out that I had to stay with the loan until the title was on my name, which would cost me in interest more than the transfer tax.

At the end I decided to just pay the tax. The same salesman told me they have their laywer who does those kind of transactions. I gave the amount to pay to him including an advance for the services of the laywer, in total about 50,000 pesos. After some months I asked the salesman when my title would be ready. He kept telling me for months that due to restructuring in 'Tribunal de Tierra's' the title had not left yet. I knew Tribunal de Tierras was going through a restructuring, so I kept my patience. However in march this year I talked to a friend how is a laywer, and he told me that he does not have those problems. We talked to the guy from the real estate broker, and later we went to the laywer who would do the transfer. It appeared that this laywer never deposited the money (basically he stole it) and I agreed with my laywer-friend, that he would handle to get the money and do the transfer.

The guy from remax told me and my laywer friend that he is aware that he received the money from me and that he is responsible. At this very moment the laywer who stole the money is 'en quiebra' and only has an old car of which it is not worth to do an embarkment.

I have receipts of the guy from real estate broker that I paid him the money. Today, however my laywer-friend says that the guy from the broker (who became independent, and started his own office) has liquidity problems as well.

Anyone an idea what is the best way for me to see my money back???

What is the risk of still not having my appartment on my name?

gr. Mauricio

mrednyc

May 26, 2004
WELCOME TO THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC!

Which REMAX company was this? Is it the one in Santo Domingo? Because I'm having a little problem of my own with them.

I have a good lawyer, but the person(s) who he goes after has to have some assets for him to sieze.

Mauricio said:
Hello,

Two years ago I bought an appartment in Santo Domingo. The appartment was sold to me by a salesman of local branch of international real estate broker. In first instance I tried to get a small loan in a Asociacion to not pay transfer tax. However, it took me so much trouble to get this loan, and I found out that I had to stay with the loan until the title was on my name, which would cost me in interest more than the transfer tax.

At the end I decided to just pay the tax. The same salesman told me they have their laywer who does those kind of transactions. I gave the amount to pay to him including an advance for the services of the laywer, in total about 50,000 pesos. After some months I asked the salesman when my title would be ready. He kept telling me for months that due to restructuring in 'Tribunal de Tierra's' the title had not left yet. I knew Tribunal de Tierras was going through a restructuring, so I kept my patience. However in march this year I talked to a friend how is a laywer, and he told me that he does not have those problems. We talked to the guy from the real estate broker, and later we went to the laywer who would do the transfer. It appeared that this laywer never deposited the money (basically he stole it) and I agreed with my laywer-friend, that he would handle to get the money and do the transfer.

The guy from remax told me and my laywer friend that he is aware that he received the money from me and that he is responsible. At this very moment the laywer who stole the money is 'en quiebra' and only has an old car of which it is not worth to do an embarkment.

I have receipts of the guy from real estate broker that I paid him the money. Today, however my laywer-friend says that the guy from the broker (who became independent, and started his own office) has liquidity problems as well.

Anyone an idea what is the best way for me to see my money back???

What is the risk of still not having my appartment on my name?

gr. Mauricio

mrednyc

May 26, 2004
Oh!

And did I mention that not having the apartment under your name is the same as not having the apartment under your name.

So in the mean time anty up another 50,000 so no more salt is spread on that wound.