Travel from Santa Dom to Punta Cana

jerylannb

Oct 13, 2004
Hi - My boyfriend and I are travelling to DR this Sunday. We arrive in Santa Domingo on USAir about 2:30 pm. What is the recommended mode of travel to the Melia Tropicale Carib? We were going to rent a car but have been getting negative vibes without clear detail. We are pretty flexible...
Thanks!
Jerylann

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
jerylannb said:
Hi - My boyfriend and I are travelling to DR this Sunday. We arrive in Santa Domingo on USAir about 2:30 pm. What is the recommended mode of travel to the Melia Tropicale Carib? We were going to rent a car but have been getting negative vibes without clear detail. We are pretty flexible...
Thanks!
Jerylann

do everyone a favor and dont rent a car if you dont know where your going obviously if this isnt your first time in the DR than you havent been paying attention to the way they drive... as for the question, ive answered it numerous times, do a search and there you'll find your answer !

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
jerylannb said:
Thanks!
Jerylann

My suggestion, get a local flight to Punta Cana. The area's been receiving a lot of rain at night this week and keeps washing out the temporary bridges and disabling the ferry. My husband's supposed to come from Punta Cana to Santo Domingo tomorrow and he still doesn't know if he'll be able to come in his pickup. So if you've never done the Sto. Dgo-Punta Cana route, the best option is to catch a flight at the Herrera airport in Santo Domingo and pay approx. US$100 each.

Good luck!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Still so many people posting here with destination A and a flight to B, amazing, really, when you consider the general hassle of flying to the wrong airport and then using any ground transporation, even Metro or Caribe. Combined with no idea of directions or driving in the zany DR, a rental car is a terrible idea.

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
Why not PUJ?

Why would you fly into SDQ, if you're staying in Punta Cana? I understand that it's a few bucks cheaper, but the travel on both arriving and departing, you're missing two days right there. I'd call US Airways and see if you can get that flight switched for a few $$ more

MrNiceGuy

Sep 12, 2004
Just a suggestion

I have driven this route just prior to the storm and rented a car for the first time and travelled in the DR. The most difficult part is not their crazy driving , but directions. It's hard to get a decent map. Once on the main road you are pretty good but travelling through the cities between SD and Punta Cana...wow you have a major chore as I did with a native tour guide (my fiancee).

The bridge is a bit indecisive but I was in DR last week and spoke to people travelling back and forth from SD to Punta Cana and were taking buses on either side of the bridge at the Chavron river.

The best thing would have been to land in Punta Cana but it's too late now. The airlines are very inflexible about switching but it's always worth a try.

Personally, I love the DR and the people. I did a bit of travelling around and speak very little spanish and managed just fine. Be careful as you would in any strange place but smile...it goes a long way.

Take care and enjoy your vacation...

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
MrNiceGuy said:
The best thing would have been to land in Punta Cana but it's too late now. The airlines are very inflexible about switching but it's always worth a try.

For a charter sure as there are no options anyway but AA for example if you pay the $100 fee and assuming the fare is the same would switch you in 5 minutes over the phone. If the fare was different you'd pay that or they'd pay you a refund in the form of a credit. I have changed tickets to entirely different countries for a net cost in one case of $21.50.