bringing my dog

mk-ultra

Sep 13, 2004
has anyone here had the experience of bringing a dog to DR from the states?

i'm moving to DR for a few months in the beginning of november and am planning on bringing my dog. i've been in touch with a shipping company who will handle the shipping part. i got the shots they told me he needed and will soon get his health certificate for travel.

someone just told me today that he might be quaranteened for 40 days. is this true? my dog is a 7 year old boxer.

any info would be appreciated.

thanks

GREATZKY

Sep 5, 2003
no

mk-ultra said:
has anyone here had the experience of bringing a dog to DR from the states?

i'm moving to DR for a few months in the beginning of november and am planning on bringing my dog. i've been in touch with a shipping company who will handle the shipping part. i got the shots they told me he needed and will soon get his health certificate for travel.

someone just told me today that he might be quaranteened for 40 days. is this true? my dog is a 7 year old boxer.

any info would be appreciated.

thanks

No, there is no quaranteen you just need all shots and the cert.of good health. I think the cert. has to be with in ten days of travel. we flew A.A. the dogs traveled with us., I want to say it was $120 u.s.. It was a piece of cake. something to keep in mind is the airlines do not ship dogs from may 15' ish to sept/oct not sure...(tarmac heat issue)!!!
P.M. me if you have any more ?'s

sami

Aug 7, 2003
I have a 9 year old boxer.......Lester J. Muggs. He would love to meet your boxer. Remember the heat factor and always make sure that he has lots of water. Introduce yourself to Dr Bob. He is the vet in the sosua/cabarete area. He is familiar with boxers and their various problems. Good luck and enjoy

mk-ultra

Sep 13, 2004
thanks for you help. i've been on the phone with the dominican consulate this morning and the airlines and i think i have it all sorted out now. i'll post the info i've gotten in the last few weeks for anyone else who might be interested in sending their dogs.

greatzky is right, there is no quaranteen. you must have the rabbies shot and a 5-in-1 shot atleast 30 prior to travel ($50). then you need a notorized health certificate no more than 10 days before travel ($20). take the notorized form to the dominican consulate for their approval and stamp. ($75). must have a proper size kennel for you dog. some airlines have weight and weather restrictions depending on your dog. i'm flying continental. they are the only airline i found with no weather restriction for my dog (snub-nosed boxer). most others were 70-75 d farenheit. also, they're weight restriction is 151 lbs for dog and kennel, while the others are 100 lbs. my dog and kennel are 105lbs.

i guess thats about it. i was going to use a shipping company and spend almost $1000(us) for them to pick him up and send him via cargo cause i couldn't find another solution. but now using continental and making the calls myself to the consulate, its going to run me around $340 for his tickets, plus the money for his paper work. hope this helps.

i will be looking into a good vet in the sosua area. thanks sami for the recommendation. not sure how well our dogs will get along though. my boxer is very cautious around other male dogs his size and gets defensive. i guess its the testosterone. but he has no problems with females, so if there are any out there, he could use a girlfriend or two. :)