Norman Umberg of Pto.Pta. Passed Away Yesterday

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Norman Umberg was very well known in Puerto Plata and will be missed by many...........For the people of the old board on Dr1, Norman was known by the handle "A Nony Moose"

Gringo

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I knew Norm, he was a nice guy, he did some advertising on DR1 many years ago.

That's very sad :(

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
We emailed back and forth back in 1999 when I joined this board and he gave me good info about the DR but sadly I didn't get to meet him.

God rest his soul.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Gringo said:
Norman Umberg was very well known in Puerto Plata and will be missed by many...........For the people of the old board on Dr1, Norman was known by the handle "A Nony Moose"

Gringo

Any idea as to when & where a funeral service might be held please. I would like to try & build a trip to that into the busy weekend schedule!! ~ GWB.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Very sad indeed

BushBaby said:
Any idea as to when & where a funeral service might be held please. I would like to try & build a trip to that into the busy weekend schedule!! ~ GWB.

My wife has been making the necessary arrangements today as Norman lived alone and had no family here. Norman's only son who lives in Ottawa,Canada is flying in tomorrow night so my wife has arranged the Funeral Service for Sunday in Pto.Pta. ( I will post when the time is confirmed)

Norman was having severe kidney pain on wed. eve, he called me and asked if I would take him to Bournigal Medico Pto.Pta., Thurs. while waiting to go home he had a Heart Attack.

Gringo

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Norman Umberg

Norman Umberg can be viewed Today Sat. from 3:00PM.to 12:00 Midnight.
For those people Interested in attending the Funeral, can do so tomorrow Sun/17.
at 9:00 AM.
The Funeral will take place at Funeraria Blas Bliss, Av.27 de Febero no 61, Puerto Plata, Tels: 261-5542, 261-0750.( Just up the street from Supermarket Tropical)

Gringo

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Gringo said:
Norman Umberg can be viewed Today Sat. from 3:00PM.to 12:00 Midnight.
For those people Interested in attending the Funeral, can do so tomorrow Sun/17.
at 9:00 AM.
The Funeral will take place at Funeraria Blas Bliss, Av.27 de Febero no 61, Puerto Plata, Tels: 261-5542, 261-0750.( Just up the street from Supermarket Tropical)

Gringo

Thanks for the update Larry. Sunday is always a VERY busy day for me but will obviously do my BEST to drop in & say 'Hi' to you & "goodbye" to Norman. Thanks for taking the trouble to keep us all advised!! ~ Grahame.

mario.u

Oct 19, 2004
Norman, business and the hospital

This is Mario.

Norman was my father. I will miss him dearly, as we became close in the past few years after having been estranged when he first came to the Dominican Republic many years ago. We had lost contact back then and regained it because of e-mail and the internet.

The timing of his death is especailly painful for me, as after years of him trying to convince me to come here and try to start a new life, I finally made that choice 5 months ago and began preparations. I had sold all posessions and was ready to move in (literally) 2 weekends after he had passed.

I know that he died happy witht he knowledge that his son was comimng to live with him. But for me, to see the preparations he has made for me and to have to go through his belongins is very difficult.

I loved him dearly.

I also would life to point oput to other gringos, that they should be aware opf the dangers of ther local hospitals. My fathert passed after he was feeling well and had asked a good friend to bring him $2000 US to cover his hospital costs. Thaty money was ewither stolen or went missing from the hospital at the time of his death. Larry knows much about the details.

Further, the hospital harrassed Larry and his family for payment (as they accepted responisibilty for Norman) before I could get there. The cost of his treatment was outrageous for a 17 hour period and far beyond any price a dominican would pay.

So, The Centro Medicale Bournical, under Dr. Redondo, grossly overcharged for my fgather's treatment, harrassed (with threats of arrest) the family that brought my father in for treatment and allolwed a significant amount of cash to be stolen or disappear from his person.

BEWARE.

Bye Dad, Life will be lonely without you in it.

Your only son,
Mario

mario.u

Oct 19, 2004
Thank you Gringo

I also want to express my deepest gratitude to Gringo and his wife for all the effort and time they took to make the arrangements and in the time theuy have spent with me, helping me throught these difficult times.

My father had other friends that shall remaain nameless here, but they have offered their help and/or provided service to him, and to me afgter his death.

Thanks all of you that hve been ther for me on behalf of my father.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I did not feel that it was my place......However!

What Norman's son has said is very true!
A very close friend of Norman"s brought $2000.00 to Norman for the money's to be paid to Bournigal Clinic Central Medical ( The Money went missing after his death) for a stay of 16 Hours he was chaged RD $ 50700 Pesos, or $1530 US.
Not to bad for a Bananna Republic Hospital ( Special Gringo rate )
So beware if you are not "Dominican" and go to Central Medico, You will also get the same special Gringo Rate.
I asked when I paid the bill if they could show me an Invoice for a Dominican that paid $1500. for a 16 hour stay at this rip off joint, but they said this was not possible as every one pays the same.....Bull Shi**.

As a foot note Norman's Gold chain that he was wearing also went missing after his death.

Gringo

Last edited:

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I am sorry...........

and my sympathies to his family. I did not know and never met Norman, but does the "stealing" of his items really SURPRISE any of you?

I do not know one foreigner that has ever died in the presence of ONLY Dominican's that hasn't been robbed. I pity any foreigner, including myself, that would have to pass away in this country without a "foreigner" present.

I've seen people hit by cars, and robbed, while laying in the street.

Sorry to have to say it, but it's true and anyone of you that says it isn't, SHOULD WAKE UP!......for our own good in the future.

Last edited:

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Norman went to sams Bar often But

JDJones said:
Was Norman the kind fellow that used to go to Sams Bar occasionally to order a glass of water "con mucho YELLOW!"
He used to walk around town in short pants all the time.
If that was him, he was a great guy.

Norman did not like water at all, He only drank Presidente, Cuba Libre's and Soda.
Norman always wore short pants and bright Caribbean shirts, He drove around town in a little Red Chevy Swing car. He spent most of his time at Nelly's Bar in Long Beach as he spoke four languages fluently.
This is the link to Normans Web Site as he worked from home and advertised on Dr1 a few years ago.
http://www.dominicanresorts.com

Gringo

mario.u

Oct 19, 2004
Surprised? No. Upset? Yes, I don't live here--not yet anyway.

POP Bad Boy said:
and my sympathies to his family. I did not know and never met Norman, but does the "stealing" of his items really SURPRISE any of you?

I do not know one foreigner that has ever died in the presence of ONLY Dominican's that hasn't been robbed. I pity any foreigner, including myself, that would have to pass away in this country without a "foreigner" present.

I've seen people hit by cars, and robbed, while laying in the street.

Sorry to have to say it, but it's true and anyone of you that says it isn't, SHOULD WAKE UP!......for our own good in the future.

Well POP bad boy what can I say. I don't live here. Never did. I am here for his death and while I am not surprised, I am upset by it, especially knowing that this was exactly the type of theft that he did his very best to prevent.

I was in the process of liquidating EVERYTHING back home and moving herer on an interim basis. I was one week away and Norman, being my father, was offering to help me out by having me down here. I don't have much back home, so for him to die 1 week before out reunion, when I was going to begin my neww life here, was a real blow. And now, for me, a stranger here, to see what little inhertance I had, stolen, when I have nothing back home, is salt in the wound.

Instead of coming here Saturday October 22 as part of a new life and a reunion, I had to come here Saturday 15, for a funeral, so if I seem a little purturbed...well....you get the idea.