Cell Phone Purchase

dmad

Jun 12, 2004
I am on my why to the north coast next week and need to know the best way to purchase a cell.The last couple of times I was there I rented a phone but with my business back home it would be better to get a personal number.
any input would be appreciated.
Last time I used Orange,and ya it was so so.
Thanks

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
The best thing

dmad said:
I am on my why to the north coast next week and need to know the best way to purchase a cell.The last couple of times I was there I rented a phone but with my business back home it would be better to get a personal number.
any input would be appreciated.
Last time I used Orange,and ya it was so so.
Thanks

The best thing I have found is to purchase a unlocked cell phone in the US or Canada before you go. You can then buy a SIM card from any of the DR carriers and get a DR number.

The advantage to this is that you can use the phone almost any where in the world simply by changing SIM cards.
Charlie

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
To be specific you have to buy a GSM phone that uses a SIM card which is not the norm for all phone companies in the USA or Canada. If you buy a new phone from a cellular company the unlocking won't be possible until the minimum contract is up or you pay retail, e.g. no contract. They make the money by selling phones at cost or less and then locking you into a contract for 2 or 3 years.

Since you can buy Orange or Codetel phones in the DR for (well) under 50 bucks I still mandate it is better all around to get a new phone there and let them activate and load it and just use that than bring one. At least before you leave the shop it will work and that is better than coming with a phone that nobody can activate that may cost even more.

I still think Codetel (Verizon) digital service is better than Orange - I have a hell of a time calling Orange form here in Toronto and no problem ever calling a Codetel phone. Since someone posted recently a basic Codetel phone was available for as little as 600 or so pesos the advantage Orange enjoyed which was very cheap phones is a lot less apparently.

Angelita

Jun 4, 2003
A New Cell Phone...

to buy a Brand New Cell phone in the DR is only 600 pesos? That seems wayyyyy tooooooo inexpensive.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
When it was 50-55 to the dollar there were lots of new phones to be had in the RD$1200 range or less and someone posted recently that RD$600-700 for a basic Verizon phone was available, and at 35 to 1 that is about the same. Sure it doesn't take pictures and so forth, but that isn't what a phone is for (try it with the phone in your kitchen).

Just because you think it sounds inexpensive doesn't mean it is not correct unless you have facts, obtained locally to the contrary.

Angelita

Jun 4, 2003
......... no, actually this just seemed quite reasonable. thought they would be much more, was not trying to go against the prior reply. I am sorry if you took it that way.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
it's true!

Angelita said:
......... no, actually this just seemed quite reasonable. thought they would be much more, was not trying to go against the prior reply. I am sorry if you took it that way.

angelita,

I bought a perfectly servicable (new) Qualcom phone at the Verizon counter in the Western Union in POP for RD635 just 3 weeks ago. I also had the option of a Nokia for RD600, but chose the Qualcom based on advice from my Dominican amiga who had friends who had owned the respective phones, and the fact that the hardware of the verizon wireless system in the DR was all made and installed by Qualcom.

These are not sexy, tiny little flip phones with all the bells and whistles, (my girlfriend would not be seen dead with one!) but I was able to easily convert the menu to english, and it got better reception than some more expensive phones I had borrowed.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
She's not likely to believe you either. I believe you.

I use a Codetel Qualcomm 2760 and it works great, though limited battery life - but extra batteries are cheap on eBay as are travel chargers (much smaller than the 4 pounder that Qualcomm supplies). The basic Nokia, e.g. not the svelte camera flip style work pretty good too. They have been obtainable at $20 to $30 for a long time, and maybe they actually get cheaper in pesos when the dollar weakens, there has to be something in the DR that does.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Mine is fine

ricktoronto said:
She's not likely to believe you either. I believe you.

I use a Codetel Qualcomm 2760 and it works great, though limited battery life - but extra batteries are cheap on eBay as are travel chargers (much smaller than the 4 pounder that Qualcomm supplies). The basic Nokia, e.g. not the svelte camera flip style work pretty good too. They have been obtainable at $20 to $30 for a long time, and maybe they actually get cheaper in pesos when the dollar weakens, there has to be something in the DR that does.
Two trips ago in March2004 I bought a Motorola basic black in Orange (Boca Chica) for $28. Worked better than my freinds' phones costing $150. Tried it out in the store and called NYC before I paid for it. Last month whent back to the store new chip $12 and was off to the races with no problem what-so-ever. I simply left my usual cell phone at home and used the DR phone to get my messages daily. Yea it ugly but its cheap and works for me. JOHN

Angelita

Jun 4, 2003
Cell Phones

I am not sure why Rick is being so nasty. Assuming that I would not believe what anyone suggests, is simply not true. I don't appreciate you making assumptions about me. Now I know why some people like myself don't like to comment on the DR1, for bullies like you.

Thanks to everyone for the information about cell phones. Now with these cell phones, you just buy calling cards right? Sorry, I am not much aware of how the cells work there. I am used to buying the phone and paying monthly.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Allegedly you use cards (such as Verizon's alleged Communicard in RD$100,250, 350 and 500 denominations, possibly) , I do and others do but you know maybe we don't.

If one lives there and has credit references no doubt you can get billing by the month but it is rare. (Maybe it is, maybe it isn't maybe you can, or can't, just what I know - you may know better of course).

PS The expression "that seems wayyyyy tooooooo inexpensive" actually suggests you don't believe someone vs. the opposite.

ride2hard

Feb 11, 2004
any GSM from North America will work on www.orange.com.do network.

any GSM from North America CAN BE unlocked regardless of service contract to NA service provider. PM the fone model and i can advise on how to get it unlocked.

ALL GSM fones require a sim card for use.

dmad check your PM.

FYI dialing back to US on www.orange.com.do network DOES NOT incur any long distance charges.

most convinent mobile fone plan is the PREPAID plan.